Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

On 7/13/2021 at 9:58 PM, janeymarywendy said:

image.png.2c9c7fd2a5454e860fc532c88a6a9599.png

Aww, this was lovely! We recorded it off the TV last week.  Gentle comedy, great music of course and even Ed Sheeran :lol:

Himesh Patel is really good and does all his own singing.  Apparently he used to be in Eastenders?

When the bit about John Lennon appeared, I remembered that @JustDan had mentioned this film a couple of years ago.

I really enjoyed this

It had a good story line 

Much better than that Bruce themed one that came out around the same time

• Like 1

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/04/16/more-hollywood-than-hollywood-critics-slam-russian-chernobyl-a73628

I just watched Chernobyl 1986 on Netflex 

Its a dramatization fictional work in the vein of something Bruce Willis might have done set aganist something so awful and tragic we remenber it like it was last week

Its well made, has a good story, is wonderfully shot and acted, very pretty actors 

Its kinda a romance but you know from just its name its going to end really badly

I watched it in Russian - and Netflex has already found a tonn of Russian content for me 

MV5BZmVmNjZjODktNTMxMC00ZjA4LThlZmItN2Q5MjQzMGM1OTI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUwNjY5MzA@._V1_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, gsquare said:

Plan on going to an actual theater for the first time in a long time to see this one.

6cc795ba-30b0-4c9c-b170-fe0f230a60c2-1.j

We saw this one today in the theater, pretty good.  But dealt with the troubles in her life a lot more than I was expecting.  Hudson sure can sing though, and the film ended in the credits with the late QOS herself singing at the Carole King Kennedy Center tribute (link below)

Aretha Franklin sings "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.b719bdd1cb29821f78a52f0f5edb3892.png

We really enjoyed this.  Found it on BBC i-player. Starring Vigo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali who are both great in their roles.  Based on a true story about racial inequality in the early 60s, but with gentle humour as well.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

We really enjoyed this.  Found it on BBC i-player. Starring Vigo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali who are both great in their roles.  Based on a true story about racial inequality in the early 60s, but with gentle humour as well.

yeah...really good wasn't it

• Like 1

I watched the Downton Abbey film.  It was OK, but a bit thin on storylines and implausible in places. 

I thought the portrayal of King George V and Queen Mary was way off what history tells us about them.  They were far too jolly.  George V is well known to have been a strict father, and both were distant and not very affectionate towards their children.  More like the film's portrayal of the Earl of Harewood.  QM was very hot on duty before all, and she would never have countenanced someone being let off a tour because his wife had just had a baby.

Queen Mary had a reputation for complimenting her hosts on items that caught her eye - ornaments, furniture, pictures etc - and she expected to be offered them as a gift.  They could have woven a story around this and I'm surprised they missed it.

I was unconvinced by the secret gay night club.  I would have accepted its existence in London, but in rural Yorkshire in 1927? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:15 PM, janeymarywendy said:

i watched it after waiting ages after someone in the FC recomended it 

i might just have to watch it again !

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:13 AM, gsquare said:

We saw this one today in the theater, pretty good.  But dealt with the troubles in her life a lot more than I was expecting.  Hudson sure can sing though, and the film ended in the credits with the late QOS herself singing at the Carole King Kennedy Center tribute (link below)

Aretha Franklin sings "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"

two weeks latter so im assuming you are still healthy after the pictures ...

how did you find it ? being in a crowd?

34 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

two weeks latter so im assuming you are still healthy after the pictures ...

how did you find it ? being in a crowd?

It wasn't a very big crowd, maybe a dozen people total. I had much less reservations about going back to the movies than I did going back to seeing a concert. But I did that too. ;) 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

By the guy who did the Sixth Sense (which may well be his last good film!).

It was ok-ish but had less to it than an episode of Lost. The way that attempts to escape the mysterious beach were dealt with were terrible - like a Scooby Doo "screen goes wavy" transition.

If only the kids had agreed to watch Rachel's Favourite Film. No, not that one, her real favourite.

We recently watched the Sixth Sense for the first time in twenty years and I swear that the same problem was there that I thought I'd spotted in the cinema back then - there's a scene after you know what happens where Bruce Willis isn't wearing the same clothes

(SPOILER

- he's a ghost and one of the giveaways is that he's always dressed the same except I'm sure he's not in one scene.)

images.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rizla said:

That's not how you do spoilers !  :angry:  Luckily I've seen the film, but there may be someone who hasn't.

My thoughts exactly.

If it's the Bruce W one you're on about. I didn't catch on until the end.

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

My thoughts exactly.

If it's the Bruce W one you're on about. I didn't catch on until the end.

I've reported the post to ask for the spoiler to be hidden.

3 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I've reported the post to ask for the spoiler to be hidden.

I am sorry but I actually don’t know how to do the hidden spoiler font thingy. If you want to tell me how, I’ll do it.  In the meantime, I edited it so at least you can tell it’s a spoiler.  

2 minutes ago, judyg said:

I am sorry but I actually don’t know how to do the hidden spoiler font thingy. If you want to tell me how, I’ll do it.  In the meantime, I edited it so at least you can tell it’s a spoiler.  

If I was posting a spoiler, I would highlight

Spoiler

the words to be hidden

and click on the icon that looks like an eye.

Hope that helps.  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Rizla said:

If I was posting a spoiler, I would highlight

Reveal hidden contents

the words to be hidden

and click on the icon that looks like an eye.

Hope that helps.  Thanks!

It doesn’t!  I don’t see the eye icon. I tried it with a new post, couldn’t do it, here’s a screenshot of what I see.  Where’s the eye? Sorry! I’ve just never been able to figure this out. For 20 years now…I can’t properly post spoiler text.  Here’s a screenshot of my attempt:

9851318B-4303-4729-819A-EB9C11F9FEB5.png

How strange.  This is what I see at the top of the Reply box.  The spoiler icon is next to the emoji icon.
Could it be a browser issue?  I'm using Firefox on a laptop.

image.thumb.png.ab183d8c4f0550ca1246353747b0d8e3.png

On 10/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, Rizla said:

That's not how you do spoilers !  :angry:  Luckily I've seen the film, but there may be someone who hasn't.

There wasn't meant to be a big gap after "spoiler". I think inserting the image messed up the structure.

6th Sense is so old, no-one needs protecting from the twist!

15 minutes ago, bdw said:

6th Sense is so old, no-one needs protecting from the twist!

I disagree.  There are hundreds of "old" films that I've never seen, and I won't be the only one.  Not everybody watches every film soon after they come out.   That doesn't mean they will never want to watch it.  Netflix etc are full of old films, why would they be there if nobody was watching them?

• Like 1