Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 11:13 PM, Eileen said:

@dr winston oboogie you saw this film? How did you manage that ... is it on general release?

Oh, is this a Netflix one? Ahhh ... it'll be spot on then.

Glad somebody's interested in things of a Royal nature.

all those things are cringe worthy with very few exceptions. the series Victoria which i just love is probably only saved by the fact none of us or our parents or our grandparents are old enough to remember the truth

but @Eileen i just watched the most wonderful Aussie movie on netflex- perhaps it might turn up on tv or even in a film festival for you

Ladies in black

it was just pure delight

my grandma was too old and my mum too young to quite fit into the movie but our house is exactly the right age !

almost a coming of age story but it had no sad bits (just what i needed right now)

i know we had Euro immigrant populations in Dunedin after the war but my family were WASPS and the Catholic folk had their own schools but i can still hear the casual racism towards the newer families from the older generations

anyway just a really pleasent watch full of nice people and happy endings for every one 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_in_Black_(film)

LadiesInBlackOfficialPoster.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Anyway just a really pleasent watch full of nice people and happy endings for every one 

Hmmmm ... I don't need to watch it then - you've told me the ending. :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Hmmmm ... I don't need to watch it then - you've told me the ending. :)

opps sorry Aunty :D

i just really needed something like that today and it was just delightful

i can think of NZ movies in a similar vein but they always have a sad or dark streak 

• Like 1

Dune. I read the novel last year and was eagerly anticipating this movie for a long time. It was awesome! Very true to the book and much better than the 84’ version, which I thought was garbage. Highly recommend seeing this one in theaters. Totally worth it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well since last posting 11 months ago I've seen hundreds of movies.... (I wonder what the best one that I discovered since then was...)

My last movie I saw was:

181357_large.jpg?t=1576532988

Show Boat, from 1936.

I only recently discovered the greatness of the 1951 version, via Blu-ray (in a really outstanding looking transfer),

but I have to go back to the '36 version, the first one I saw, as the one I prefer - vastly. (Though the '51 version with William Warfield singing Ol' Man River, that may be the version of the song I prefer, blasphemy or not, what with this being Paul Robeson and all)

I love Irene Dunne in this, and her and Allan Jones have a chemistry that's really superb.

Also love seeing (and hearing) Paul Robeson and Hattie McDaniel in this.

Anybody who likes the '51 version should see this. Or anyone who loves musicals. (and in this, Dunne's voice is vastly superior than Kathryn Grayson's, at least I sure think so). I also love the way this one ends (different way from the third version in '51).

Fantastic movie, one of my favorite musicals; it's up there in the top 10, maybe top 5.

image.thumb.png.ea0be86155da0fce6d0c6b682a6f7ce4.png

image.png.7fb1edd17acccbbce89a0d078ee8a4d6.png

image.png.2b91e25c99a2ce3aa700fe683f9ca2b5.png

image.png

• Like 1

*note: I edited the above so as not to show the larger cover at the bottom (which was included by error). I edited it out earlier (twice), yet it's there... Well, whatever....

I saw now THE MORTAL STORM.

An incredible movie from 1940 that is incredibly sadly still applicable today - in the most terrifying ways.

One of the most important movies one could possibly view these days.

Starring James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan, Robert Young, and Frank Morgan. (Includes the three main stars of The Shop Around The Corner, from the same year)

image.png.98c3366484a7ebe776374eae95fa4936.png

• Like 1

image.png.637c9ae5be7e6207dd35573b33e2cc9c.png
Gentleman's Agreement.

Gregory Peck plays a reporter who decides to pretend he is Jewish to expose anti-Semitism.

A movie about how the world always needs a SCAPEGOAT. ALWAYS.
Many of us have had people nice to us until they found out we were among those they were taught to HATE.

(Imagine if someone who is NOT vilified by the media decided to pretend they were among those who are, in these unbelievably horrible times...)

A great movie.

Outstanding performance in a smaller role by John Garfield.

image.thumb.png.738950d84ff5db8932518a30bacd65ff.png

I don't know why I bother.

I'll stop posting soon.

A Patch Of Blue (1965) starring Elizabeth Hartman, co-starring Sidney Poitier. With Shelley Winters and Wallace Ford.

image.png.347ec357bbac1cd5b38a5097c78cfb9f.png

image.png.8731ef04d670e986766dda5c3ac5e3de.png

Magnificent movie, very moving. Beautiful, tender score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Elizabeth Hartman as a blind, young woman who is neglected and abused by her mother and her grandfather, who she lives with. Hartman should have gotten top billing for this, as she is the star. Was. Her character Selina D'Arcey meets Sidney Poitier's character Gordon one day in the park as she is stringing beads...

Later on in real life Hartman would take her own life by jumping from the window of her apartment building.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I don't know why I bother.

I'll stop posting soon.

A Patch Of Blue (1965) starring Elizabeth Hartman, co-starring Sidney Poitier. With Shelley Winters and Wallace Ford.

image.png.347ec357bbac1cd5b38a5097c78cfb9f.png

image.png.8731ef04d670e986766dda5c3ac5e3de.png

Magnificent movie, very moving. Beautiful, tender score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Elizabeth Hartman as a blind, young woman who is neglected and abused by her mother and her grandfather, who she lives with. Hartman should have gotten top billing for this, as she is the star. Was. Her character Selina D'Arcey meets Sidney Poitier's character Gordon one day in the park as she is stringing beads...

Later on in real life Hartman would take her own life by jumping from the window of her apartment building.

please dont stop

i love reading your posts..not just cos we have similar tastes.

i would post more often but cant do the photos of the films so it looks a bit lame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robk1 said:

please dont stop

i love reading your posts..not just cos we have similar tastes.

i would post more often but cant do the photos of the films so it looks a bit lame

Oh, thank you very much Rob!

(I was just very depressed this past night)

Thank you. And it's easy to post the photos actually; you just find a photo you like after you search for one from the movie, and then right click on it and choose "copy image," and then come here and choose paste, and it should post) (sometimes takes forever here lately like a glitch, so i come back). (Some sites would have you enter a photo in a URL and then you'd choose "copy image link" instead)

Anyhow thank you so much again!!! :) That's very kind of you.

(why is this not POSTING!!!!!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay so I was looking for something new, something I'd never seen that was great, and I stumbled on a gem by accident.

The Blue Gardenia. (1953)

image.png.2b77125c59bbca1a2343ebe52112471f.png

I saw this free via Amazon Prime.

Anne Baxter makes a date with Raymond Burr.

Take it from there.

This is a fantastic Fritz Lang movie, amazingly not on Blu-ray, or available in HD anywhere.
No matter, still very entertaining (where is the spoiler button? aha!)

Spoiler

So basically Norah (Anne), distraught (I'll leave out why), poses as the girl (Crystal) Burr's character (Harry) called, one of her two roommates, played by Ann Sothern, and has the date with Burr. She gets very drunk; very. The last thing you see, and this is a half hour in, is her throwing a glass at some mirror or window in his apartment. She picks up a poker. The next day, he is dead, it's in the papers. And that's only at 31 or so minutes in.

And that's not the whole story or movie.

This movie is FANTASTIC. The best movie I hadn't known since I discovered Intruder In The Dirt, probably (not related in any way).

And Anne Baxter - of All About Eve fame (I had trouble placing her name and face when I saw her, she was so beautiful in this, Ann Sothern couldn't compare to her for me - I know that's not important, but just saying...)

Anne stars as Norah. Her roommates are played by Ann Sothern as Crystal and...Jeff Donnell as Sally (yes I know, a strange name for a woman; she reminded me in this of Shelley Winters, in some way). Raymond Burr is an artist who paints women, and a music lover, named Harry Prebble. Richard Conte is a newspaperman named Casey Mayo. And there's a cameo by Nat King Cole singing the title song. Directed by Fritz Lang, man responsible for Scarlet Street, The Big Heat and so many other greats (The Big Heat is my all-time favorite noir - and this movie would be considered noir possibly - certainly crime drama). I don't like all of his movies - I've seen a stinker or two by him, but the same with Hitchcock, so...

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

The beautiful Anne Baxter

image.png.ae76166cd75f3343f9bff8bb3dae0213.png

And Burr with Baxter, Sothern, and Donnell.

image.png.a7761074c8b40dba8550939bd52e798a.png

HIGHLY recommended. If you have Amazon Prime and 90 minutes to spare, you could do far worse!

Edit: since this only has a 6.9 on IMDB (ridiculous), this under the spoiler is an IMDB review:

Spoiler

Really excellent film, elegant, well constructed and atmospheric. Beautifully written script, directing, photography, art direction, soundtrack editing, performances, etc. A real masterpiece. I am surprised that so many people who review it here seem not to grasp it. They complain about lack of suspense because it doesn't use hackneyed noir film devices, but the film is not about that. It's about Anne Baxter, the world through her point of view. Her life is a beautiful dream of hopes of love and happiness for the future, which turns into a horrible nightmare that spirals downward with sickening realism and pathos. Snappy characters throughout, but they are not "wasted", miscast or otherwise ill-used. They are perfectly balanced in a skilled script that is not about actors chewing the scenery, but is a real film, an art film, by the master Fritz Lang, whose every decision in creating this film up to the smallest detail seems to me to be highly intentional. Highly recommended.

I watched three movies this past night, with Comcast having a power outage during the song Tell Me Why in the first one.

So I switched to the DVD set I have:

image.png.1a79d446410dc43a8371c87bc28a4786.png

A Hard Day's Night.

A fun movie, even if too much time is spent on "Paul's grandfather" in it, and not enough on the Beatles songs, or on Patti Boyd. God I forgot how cute she was. (Oh and the DVD sounded WAY better than the streaming on HBO Max; even the picture seemed better! And this was SD now!)

image.thumb.png.ae5c250cc367aeb89c6bc796992da2ee.png

Then I figured, after downloading online (shh!) the movie Help! (I could not/cannot find a DVD-R a friend made for me ages ago, probably from VHS), I watched that. I forgot how terrible the actual story is; it's just STUPID!

If it wasn't for the songs (I particularly love You've Got To Hide Your Love Away)....

the music made it salvageable.

image.png.0db447f65bb70514578e53240e771356.png

I sometimes forget how much I love the Beatles. (even though I listen to them a lot; I haven't listened to Help in some time, ironically)

And so I figured, after a good break, I want to see one more movie, and yesterday I had figured on watching All About Eve again, for the first time in a while.

I realized almost instantly I wasn't in the mood.

So I watched Let There Be Rock!

Aside from the interviews (pfft), and it being in mono (WTF? The whole concert is on CD in perfect stereo!),

I loved it. Hadn't seen my Blu-ray in ages.

image.thumb.png.cf2d5158b8f07faea01d9ea3e16f3be5.png

AC/DC RULES! (with Bon, anyway)

So, two of my favorite bands. Fun (sans "Paul's grandfather", as he was called, and the plot of Help!)

On 11/29/2021 at 4:50 AM, soulcrusader78 said:

Okay so I was looking for something new, something I'd never seen that was great, and I stumbled on a gem by accident.

The Blue Gardenia. (1953)

image.png.2b77125c59bbca1a2343ebe52112471f.png

I saw this free via Amazon Prime.

Anne Baxter makes a date with Raymond Burr.

Take it from there.

This is a fantastic Fritz Lang movie, amazingly not on Blu-ray, or available in HD anywhere.
No matter, still very entertaining (where is the spoiler button? aha!)

Reveal hidden contents

So basically Norah (Anne), distraught (I'll leave out why), poses as the girl (Crystal) Burr's character (Harry) called, one of her two roommates, played by Ann Sothern, and has the date with Burr. She gets very drunk; very. The last thing you see, and this is a half hour in, is her throwing a glass at some mirror or window in his apartment. She picks up a poker. The next day, he is dead, it's in the papers. And that's only at 31 or so minutes in.

And that's not the whole story or movie.

This movie is FANTASTIC. The best movie I hadn't known since I discovered Intruder In The Dirt, probably (not related in any way).

And Anne Baxter - of All About Eve fame (I had trouble placing her name and face when I saw her, she was so beautiful in this, Ann Sothern couldn't compare to her for me - I know that's not important, but just saying...)

Anne stars as Norah. Her roommates are played by Ann Sothern as Crystal and...Jeff Donnell as Sally (yes I know, a strange name for a woman; she reminded me in this of Shelley Winters, in some way). Raymond Burr is an artist who paints women, and a music lover, named Harry Prebble. Richard Conte is a newspaperman named Casey Mayo. And there's a cameo by Nat King Cole singing the title song. Directed by Fritz Lang, man responsible for Scarlet Street, The Big Heat and so many other greats (The Big Heat is my all-time favorite noir - and this movie would be considered noir possibly - certainly crime drama). I don't like all of his movies - I've seen a stinker or two by him, but the same with Hitchcock, so...

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

The beautiful Anne Baxter

image.png.ae76166cd75f3343f9bff8bb3dae0213.png

And Burr with Baxter, Sothern, and Donnell.

image.png.a7761074c8b40dba8550939bd52e798a.png

HIGHLY recommended. If you have Amazon Prime and 90 minutes to spare, you could do far worse!

Edit: since this only has a 6.9 on IMDB (ridiculous), this under the spoiler is an IMDB review:

Reveal hidden contents

Really excellent film, elegant, well constructed and atmospheric. Beautifully written script, directing, photography, art direction, soundtrack editing, performances, etc. A real masterpiece. I am surprised that so many people who review it here seem not to grasp it. They complain about lack of suspense because it doesn't use hackneyed noir film devices, but the film is not about that. It's about Anne Baxter, the world through her point of view. Her life is a beautiful dream of hopes of love and happiness for the future, which turns into a horrible nightmare that spirals downward with sickening realism and pathos. Snappy characters throughout, but they are not "wasted", miscast or otherwise ill-used. They are perfectly balanced in a skilled script that is not about actors chewing the scenery, but is a real film, an art film, by the master Fritz Lang, whose every decision in creating this film up to the smallest detail seems to me to be highly intentional. Highly recommended.

CORRECTION:

The title is

Intruder In The DUST.

Although a masterpiece, I had trouble getting the name straight even after seeing it. I am *almost* ashamed I could not remember.

image.png.0f81a8354e51401dc5effb6368f93544.png

1-Juano-Intruder-in-the-Dust.jpg?resize=

I should see this again.

Absolutely incredible movie, a lost gem, about a black man ready to be killed (with a lynch mob wanting to do it first), for supposedly killing a white man, which from the very outset it is clear he did not do. This a good time ahead of To Kill A Mockingbird.

(IMDB synopsis: In 1940s Mississippi, two teenage boys and an elderly woman combine forces to prevent a miscarriage of justice and clear a black man of a murder charge.) (from 1949.)

Starring Juano Hernandez (SO powerful as Mr. Smith in THE PAWNBROKER). He was also in The Breaking Point with John Garfield. Young Man With A Horn, etc...

Available on you tube:

and for rent, on there and on Amazon.

One of the greatest movies of all time.

Inherit The Wind.

56977_large.jpg?t=1415313066

When the right to THINK is on trial.

Still reflects our world at large, with that very issue, and MOB MENTALITY, intolerance, etc. This isn't about religion no matter what anybody thinks.

One of the best movies ever; one of my very favorites.

image.thumb.png.8fbe330b5574ff00788f1fd84cb43e8a.png

image.thumb.png.ae057aa974050f144b83108e343b3aa0.png

image.thumb.png.2b89f92aa5cdedf38d09dab6d5f68eed.png

image.thumb.png.fa1f4499dcb83e56301e5e8788f461f5.png

image.thumb.png.eb4fb3727c33a82c6bb548f33e3ecf12.png

image.thumb.png.fbf0eb944648612acd6e620c183281b4.png