Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

Just watched Cape Fear. Disturbing but brilliant movie. Scorsese/DeNiro double act strikes again.

Have you watched the original with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum. Great movie.

Not seen the original, is it better than the remake? I just love Scorsese and DeNiro!

Ah, man, not seen that for nigh on 20 years but remember it being a brilliant classic. Robert Mitchum played great baddies. He was especially good in Night of the Hunter. Chilling. (Definitely inspired a lot of Nick Cave' s southern preacher imagery).

Just watched Cape Fear. Disturbing but brilliant movie. Scorsese/DeNiro double act strikes again.

Have you watched the original with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum. Great movie.

Not seen the original, is it better than the remake? I just love Scorsese and DeNiro!

Ah, man, not seen that for nigh on 20 years but remember it being a brilliant classic. Robert Mitchum played great baddies. He was especially good in Night of the Hunter. Chilling. (Definitely inspired a lot of Nick Cave' s southern preacher imagery).

Not sure if the original is better - long time since I've seen it but but you really can't go wrong with Peck and Mitchum. Robert Mitchum did menacing just about better than anyone.

Not sure if the original is better - long time since I've seen it but but you really can't go wrong with Peck and Mitchum. Robert Mitchum did menacing just about better than anyone.

Been a long time since I've seen either film too - think I was but a teen. I do remember being impressed by the original as prior to seeing it I was more used to seeing Robert Mitchum playing softer characters like the cuckold priest in Ryan's Daughter, so to see him play a baddie was a nice surprise.

Both versions are equally good. You do find with old black and white films though that they did menace in a way that you don't really see/get any more. These days it's all about the violence and gore whereas back then it was more about the psychological aspect of fear and menace. Can you imagine if they did a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, just to pick a classic example? It'd be more about the bitching and fighting and general nastiness than on the psychology of sibling rivalry.

As for Peck, he was amazing in Boys from Brazil , especially as he was cast against type and had rare role as a screen baddie (he played Dr Joseph Mengle and was trying to clone Hitler!). Brilliantly sinister!

Savages

A bit dull I guess. Not the most exciting stuff.

The Missing

This one was OK. Not a masterpiece or anything. But decent entertainment.

Looper

I actually liked this one quite a bit. Simplified, but a tricky plot. The kid is scary as fuck!

Falling Down

Oldie but goodie.

The Big Year

A funny bird movie. It remind me about a few people I know.

The Tortured

No masterpiece, but it really makes you think anyway. Is torture really the answer, can you go through with it?

The Guard

Brendan Gleeson is awesome as the cop! Great movie as well.

Arbitrage

Nice movie. Do what you gotta do. Nice attitude

The Hunter

Steve McQueen’s last movie, and ironically the last movie I got from Lovefilm before they shut down their service. Not sure where to go from here as the internet is royally shitty where I live, so no streaming of ANY kind.

Movie was a bit disappointing.

The Green Mile

Out of this world masterpiece!

Forrest Gump

Another masterpiece

El Dorado

Another masterpiece. I absolutely LOVE the night filming in this one and Rio Bravo as well. They look like ridiculously cosy towns!

The Hunter

Steve McQueen’s last movie, and ironically the last movie I got from Lovefilm before they shut down their service. Not sure where to go from here as the internet is royally shitty where I live, so no streaming of ANY kind.

Uh, Lovefilm aren't shut down? I get all of my movies from them.

The Hunter

Uh, Lovefilm aren't shut down? I get all of my movies from them.

They are here. Fucking Amazon bought them and shut them down grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.lovefilm.dk/index.html

Ah, shame. Of that list you posted I have Falling Down on my current rental list, what's it like?

Typical 90's.

It's an OK movie about a man who go berserk because of various stuff going on around him. You know, one of those days where everything that happens go on your nerves.

It's nice to see Michael Douglas in such a role :)

Movie is not a masterpiece, but it's not a total disaster either :)

• 2 weeks later...

Watched--again--Pulp Fiction and The Godfather. Two of my favorites...

I watched The Godfather last week for probably the fifth or sixth time and it felt as exciting and powerful as the first time I saw it.

I watched it as part of AMC's Mob Week.