Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

He can be, not that there's anything wrong with that when the character you're playing is that. He can also be very subtle. Look at The Unbearable Lightness of Being, for example. Like the other two, he is attracted to parts that have that variation in temperature. Sometimes, I'm thinking of Gangs of New York, for instance, something doesn't sit right though. I'm unsure if it's him or the film generally. But in a different Scorsese film, Age of Innocence, he is the opposite. Subtle and very good indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

Went to see Mr Turner over the weekend.

A film about the painter JMW Turner - the painter, great film, doubt I will see a better film in the next 12 months.

Going on Wed ...really looking forward to it

The last two nights, I have watched

" On The Road"...only OK...brought back quite a lot of the book to me, the book really works on the strength of the words, not the action. Interesting history of it slowly coming together.

" Motorcycle Diaries "..same Director ( chosen for On The Road because of that film)

Really enjoyed it. Girlfriend fancies the actor who plays Che, which helps (!). Recommended. Again, interesting to read about its development afterwards.

Gone Girl. It was ok, nothing more. Some scarily big holes in the plot too. Usually that doesn't bother me, but for some reason, possibly because it was so mediocre, I became a bit irked.

"Interstellar" at my local cinema. Anyone else seen it yet?

I went to see it last night. I must I really, really enjoyed it. It's nothing like that dreadful waste of time and money Gravity. And that McConaughey guy just keeps getting better and better.

For the first time ever, I watched large_9O7gLzmreU0nGkIB6K3BsJbzvNv.jpgwhat a great movie.

And then I watched Headhunters-Poster.jpg

absolutely brilliant, part caper part really scary and unconventional crime thriller.

• Like 1

"Interstellar" at my local cinema. Anyone else seen it yet?

I went to see it last night. I must I really, really enjoyed it. It's nothing like that dreadful waste of time and money Gravity. And that McConaughey guy just keeps getting better and better.

Sorry but I have to disagree, Gravity was my preferred movie of the two. The outer space realism and surprising quality acting of Sandra Bullock made this the best astronaut movie I have ever seen.

For the first time ever, I watched large_9O7gLzmreU0nGkIB6K3BsJbzvNv.jpgwhat a great movie.

absolutely brilliant, part caper part really scary and unconventional crime thriller.

The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite film of all time! Welcome to the club.

Jo Nesbo books are a good read as well.

My partner started reading Henning Mankell's stuff earlier this year, I bought Faceless Killers and she read it after me and read the whole Wallander series. She's now bought a few Nesbo books. Which ones would you say are the best? I really loved the film. The Roger character reminded me of both Christopher Walken and Steve Buscemi, really odd but sympathetic, even though he shouldn't be. I've read that the book it's based on isn't typical Nesbo. So what do you suggest?

The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite film of all time! Welcome to the club.

I'd always avoided SR film, for two reasons. One was that it came out at a time when I think I'd had my fill of worthy, hollywood sentimentality, and I decided this was another of those. I also for some reason, thought it was Tom Hanks that played Andy. I don't like Hanks, but like Robbins a lot. After having seen it, I take it all back. Perfectly played, very beautifully shot, the lighting in particular was something I loved.

I only decided to watch it after deciding to have a go with a Stephen King book, I chose The Shinning, and so have King on my mind a bit. This flashed up on Netflix, so I decided to have a look. I'm very pleased I did.