Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

the-homesman-poster_480857_34307.jpg

This film really moved me. I'd never really heard of it, but after seeing Million Dollar Baby for the first time recently, I was interested to see if Hilary Swank is always that good. Turns out she is, if not better. Jones gets better with age. He is a very talented director to. His character in this film, starts out as a kind of live action Yosemite Sam, but by the end of it he's like Jimmy Stewart or something, and he somehow makes the transformation believable. I just felt so sorry for Swank's character. I choked up several times.

I found the killing off of the Hilary Swank character a bit disappointing and confusing.

This film really moved me. I'd never really heard of it, but after seeing Million Dollar Baby for the first time recently, I was interested to see if Hilary Swank is always that good. Turns out she is, if not better. Jones gets better with age. He is a very talented director to. His character in this film, starts out as a kind of live action Yosemite Sam, but by the end of it he's like Jimmy Stewart or something, and he somehow makes the transformation believable. I just felt so sorry for Swank's character. I choked up several times.

I found the killing off of the Hilary Swank character a bit disappointing and confusing.

Well I guess we don't need to watch that one now...lol

You gave it away damn it.

I found it disappointing only in as much as she wasn't in it anymore, but I got her death. It surprised me when it happened, but I think it served to highlight that her own psyche was damaged even more than the other women. That she knew she would never have even the slim chances that they had had.

I found it disappointing only in as much as she wasn't in it anymore, but I got her death. It surprised me when it happened, but I think it served to highlight that her own psyche was damaged even more than the other women. That she knew she would never have even the slim chances that they had had.

Have you guys seen That movie about Jesus-he dies at the end then comes back.

I don't care about spoilers. I don't watch films for the 'story' anyway. I watch for stuff like good writing, performance, film technique, spectacle, atmosphere and so forth. Plot is only part of what makes a great film 'great'.

I don't care about spoilers. I don't watch films for the 'story' anyway. I watch for stuff like good writing, performance, film technique, spectacle, atmosphere and so forth. Plot is only part of what makes a great film 'great'.

And full frontal nudity of course.

Carrie. (from 1976 of course; they "prettied" her up to what's known as "Hollywood Ugly" - where a pretty woman is made to look plain. The character in the book was fat and had acne etc. I should read the book again...probably).

Love the scenes near the end.

• Like 1

Carrie. (from 1976 of course; they "prettied" her up to what's known as "Hollywood Ugly" - where a pretty woman is made to look plain. The character in the book was fat and had acne etc. I should read the book again...probably).

Love the scenes near the end.

For that audition she put Vaseline in her hair and wore an old sailor girl dress her mother made her years before. Creeped DePalma right out!

And coincidentally Sissy Spacek played major roles in two other movies titled Badlands & the River!

- 8 1/2 by Fellini. Classic Italian film. Beautifully shot, full of life and energy. A pure joy to watch.

- Spotlight. Meet the new Oscar winner for Best Picture. Spectacular.

poster-bridge-of-spies.jpg?w=480&h=710

GREAT movie!!!

Watched it yesterday on my flight to Hong Kong. Very good film, but a bit cliched and kinda heavy-handed with the symbolism, IMO.

But Hanks, as usual, is superb.

Going to watch it tonight, ahead of that new space flick that's out the next day.

Whoooooooooooooooop!!!!!!

Hmmmm???? what new space flick could he be talking about?

I think it has something to do with stars having wars, or something like that. ;)

Flying back from Taipei today I watched The Gift (mentioned above)....first reaction was that it was a pretty formulaic suspense / stalker flick. Great twists though....pretty damn good.

Also watched the new Vacation.... and it was actually pretty damn funny!! Had very low expectations and yes, I was a prisoner of the plane so my standards were lower than normal, but there were more than a few laugh-out-loud moments (even if it was low brow humor).