Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

Finding Neverland (2005)

As a fan of films and a fan of Johnny Cash, the 2005 film Walk The Line is tailor-made for my list of favourite movies. Maybe seven or eight years ago when I was in my mid-teens I lent my copy of Walk The Line to my best friend of the time. A few months later, ample time to watch a two hour film, I asked for the DVD back to settle my Cash cravings and it turns out that though my friend enjoyed the film he could not see it in his future for repeated viewings so took it upon himself to sell my copy of the film. As revenge at a sleepover I slipped his copy of Finding Neverland from his shelf and into my bag. If he missed it he never said and the little secret has been opening sitting on my shelf among my other DVDs in the six homes I've lived in since. I never watched it. There are so many adaptations, alternate versions, gimmicks and twists of Peter Pan that I just cast this film aside as tearjerker tosh cashing in on Peter Pan to sell tickets. 

On a trip to New York with my mother and girlfriend in the November just gone we found ourselves debating over which Broadway show to see. My plea's to go see Al Pacino's drama were dismissed in favour of feel-good fun-factor Finding Neverland. "Kelsey Grammar is in it. Stinky Pete! You'll be able to say you've seen someone involved with Toy Story!" said my girlfriend, going straight for the kill by appealing to the Pixar geek I harbour inside of me. "And he is Sideshow Bob", I thought to myself. Not so fussed on Frasier but I was sold on the show. We went and it was a great, fun show. 

So tonight I decided to finally dig out that DVD and watch the film. I enjoyed it enough to not sell it on.

51M3YSWM3HL._SY300_.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:28 PM, bill horton said:

Enjoyed The Force Awakens very much.  But loved The Hateful 8.  Whatever it says about me that I can love a movie that is as violent as The Hateful 8, well, okay.  But I would also tell you to pay closer attention to the symbolic imagery at the very beginning of the movie.

Trying to talk my wife into going to see The Hateful 8, is it a typical Quintin film, Wife hate Pulp Fiction. What do you think?

I am going to pass on the Hateful 8 mainly because it is not playing in the very finest 70 mm theater in the world, Seattle's Cinerama own by Microsoft co founder Paul Allen. If by chance it does play at the Cinerama I will change my mind and go. 

The reviews are so mixed I have a feeling this movie will let me down. And I really love QT's approach in his earlier films. The disappointment of subpar dialogue with a scattered plot line is just too much without the full 70mm presentation. 

Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bills, Django Unchained, and especially that bad ass Grindhouse feature Death Proof were all just crazy frenetic over the top entertainment. 

The Cinerama experience can actually overcome a flawed film... So hopefully when they get done with that Star Wars movie the Hateful 8 will get a chance to be seen in the glory of a gigantic curved 70mm screen! 

http://www.cinerama.com

I get what you're saying but as he actually made s "multiplex" cut and was aware that the film would only play in very limited amounts of cinemas in the 70mm version, I think it's still something to be seen. 

The reviews I've read have been mainly positive, but on top of that, I don't really think reviews are ever going to stop me seeing something if I feel that it might be something for me. 

Many reviews of Citizen Kane were pretty negative at the time of release. 

I saw Resevoir Dogs prior to its international release. I knew nothing about it but decided it looked interesting. I've been an enormous Tarrantino fan ever since. He's never really put a foot wrong for me, and I'm excited to see what he's done here. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, the calvary said:

I get what you're saying but as he actually made s "multiplex" cut and was aware that the film would only play in very limited amounts of cinemas in the 70mm version, I think it's still something to be seen. 

The reviews I've read have been mainly positive, but on top of that, I don't really think reviews are ever going to stop me seeing something if I feel that it might be something for me. 

Many reviews of Citizen Kane were pretty negative at the time of release. 

I saw Resevoir Dogs prior to its international release. I knew nothing about it but decided it looked interesting. I've been an enormous Tarrantino fan ever since. He's never really put a foot wrong for me, and I'm excited to see what he's done here. 

I know your right, and this is a case of me having Star Wars envy. Quentin really put a lot of effort into the 70mm process and I was so excited to see this in the 70mm format as QT intended. It's a case of CP3O vs. QT for the Cinerama, and of course Star Wars is going to win. This projector http://www.cinerama.com/Technology.aspx sits idle while the laser projection ramps up the Galaxy battles every night. (Of course I will be there later this week doing my part to keep the struggling Disney out of the red:rolleyes:)

What can I say I have been spoiled by a half dozen really great movie houses around town. I will hold out for a few months, the Cinerama has a reputation for showing a huge variety of films at the drop of a hat. Last year leading up to the Oscars they had a presented a different nominated film up to Oscar night, then showed winner Birdman for a week after being nominated. They do random fun things quite a bit. 

And calvary you have my number, I do read way too many reviews. I have the digital subscription to the NYT's and right up there with columnist Gail Collins whose writing I adore is film critic A.O. Scott, who is just a joy to read, I don't even care about the movies, I just like his writing style, it is very smile inducing. 

24 minutes ago, Captain Puget said:

I know your right, and this is a case of me having Star Wars envy. Quentin really put a lot of effort into the 70mm process and I was so excited to see this in the 70mm format as QT intended. It's a case of CP3O vs. QT for the Cinerama, and of course Star Wars is going to win. This projector http://www.cinerama.com/Technology.aspx sits idle while the laser projection ramps up the Galaxy battles every night. (Of course I will be there later this week doing my part to keep the struggling Disney out of the red:rolleyes:)

What can I say I have been spoiled by a half dozen really great movie houses around town. I will hold out for a few months, the Cinerama has a reputation for showing a huge variety of films at the drop of a hat. Last year leading up to the Oscars they had a presented a different nominated film up to Oscar night, then showed winner Birdman for a week after being nominated. They do random fun things quite a bit. 

And calvary you have my number, I do read way too many reviews. I have the digital subscription to the NYT's and right up there with columnist Gail Collins whose writing I adore is film critic A.O. Scott, who is just a joy to read, I don't even care about the movies, I just like his writing style, it is very smile inducing. 

That theatre looks awesome.  Looked at the list of 70mm cinemas that TH8 is playing in and I am guessing most of them are in some digital approximation of true 70mm.  And the curved screen!  Damn.  Wonder how many cinerama screens still exist in the US?  Probably very very few outside of California.  

9 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

That theatre looks awesome.  Looked at the list of 70mm cinemas that TH8 is playing in and I am guessing most of them are in some digital approximation of true 70mm.  And the curved screen!  Damn.  Wonder how many cinerama screens still exist in the US?  Probably very very few outside of California.  

The walls of that theater, from ground to ceiling, and actually part of the ceiling are filled with speakers. Along with the outside corridors and restrooms. Complete immersion.

Millions of dollars has been invested in the Seattle Cinerama Movie theater, there were 2 major renovations the past 20 years. We are so lucky up here in Seattle to have this jewel of a theater and such an enthusiastic (mega rich) owner like Paul Allen. 

I'm the same actually, I love reading about film, (and when I get the time, writing about it). I just try to avoid star rating type thinking. 

When you think of QT's films, I seem to recall Jackie Brown getting Luke warm reviews at the time, but from the first time I saw it I was in love with that film, and now the consensus seems to be that it's actually pretty great. 

I would love to see H8 in 70mm but I know there's very little chance of that happening any time soon. I like QT's stand on this but the reality is that the UK doesn't have the facilities. I'm sad about that. 

Tarantino Films Ranked.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Jackie Brown
  4. Kill Bill I
  5. Inglorious Bastards
  6. Kill Bill II
  7. Django Unchained

Excluded the anthologies Four Rooms (love it though) & Grindhouse (his half of it sucked, I thought), and the Hateful Eight (haven't seen it yet).  Could be convinced to reorder 3 thru 6 in some fashion.  

16 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Trying to talk my wife into going to see The Hateful 8, is it a typical Quintin film, Wife hate Pulp Fiction. What do you think?

Jimmy, I of course could be wrong, but I'm afraid that if your wife hated Pulp Fiction, she will probably hate The Hateful 8 even more.

Personally, I have been frustrated by many of the views its been getting. It seems to me that many reviewers are taking the predictably easy road in their criticisms of the film and missing what to me is one rather obvious take on the movie -- which in the spirit of not playing spoiler, I will not discuss right now.  However, I did think that the review in The Guardian was a very good one. 

3 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Tarantino Films Ranked.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Jackie Brown
  4. Kill Bill I
  5. Inglorious Bastards
  6. Kill Bill II
  7. Django Unchained

Excluded the anthologies Four Rooms (love it though) & Grindhouse (his half of it sucked, I thought), and the Hateful Eight (haven't seen it yet).  Could be convinced to reorder 3 thru 6 in some fashion.  

I love them all. 

The Cavalry, if you have loved all of QT's films, I can't see how you could not absolutely love The Hateful 8.

i can't think of many films that looked so good onscreen, kept me in suspense, made me laugh my ass off, and made me think hard about us human beings.

Tarantino films are unrankable. Each time I think Django is my favorite, I remember Waltz's performance in Basterds or the Walken scene in Pulp Fiction or the remarkable chemistry between Pam Grier and Robert Forster in Jackie Brown and I give up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bill horton said:

The Cavalry, if you have loved all of QT's films, I can't see how you could not absolutely love The Hateful 8.

i can't think of many films that looked so good onscreen, kept me in suspense, made me laugh my ass off, and made me think hard about us human beings.

The two things I love most as far as cinematic visuals go are snow and westerns. Filmed in 70mm, it just couldn't get any better than this. There's no other American director that I've felt as entirely in tune with as I have with QT. Scorsese, Welles, Ford and Eastwood have all made films that I probably am attached to more than QT's, Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation, Kane, Touch of Evil, The Searchers, Grapes of Wrath, Outlaw Josey Wales and The Unforgiven, but no one across their whole career has made film after film that has left me so knocked out and awed each time, the way QT has. Every film chimes with me and I don't think this one will be any different. 

Im very excited to see it and have thought about travelling down south to see it in 70mm, but don't think it's possible. 

7 hours ago, Power13 said:

Man....I just don't get Tarrantino films. 

Have zero interest rest in ever seeing another one...

Couldn't agree more. The guy's an unbalanced psycho...

4 hours ago, Potstan said:

9184bis023L._SY500_.jpg

Tom Hardy is slowly becoming one of my favorite actors... Great movie!

Saw this several months ago on a flight...great movie.

A short article with Ennio Morrocone, talking about his own work and the work of Tarantino. 

I'm not really trying to proselytize regarding Tarantino's work (though I guess it may look that way, lol).  In fact, I find abhorrence to his work easily understandable and quite justifiable.  But I think Morrocone's summation at the end of this article is a surprisingly good, short take on what Tarantino does so well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35042217

I seem to remember that Roy Bittan used to play a piece of Morrocone music as a prelude to one of their songs in concert.  Badlands, maybe?

• Like 1

We saw Joy...it was ok. Jennifer Lawrence is better than the movie itself, She's hot too, that helps.

Paranormal Activity Ghost Dimension. We love our horror movies. Strangely this one was about some ghosts in a house and they used cameras to try to figure out what was going on,,,huh.

• Like 1