Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

Films watched on my trip to HK and Taiwan last week....

Creed: pretty good. Was surprised it was as good as it was, but very definitely follows the familiar Rocky plotlines. 

Concussion: Thght Will Smith was great. 

The Big Short: for a film that supposedly simplified the crisis, I was still mega-confused. ;)

Our Brand is Crisis: Dumb

The Revenant: Over-hyped, IMO. Honestly, Glass should have died about 6 different ways during that film. Tom Hardy was terrific and some of the scenery was stunning. Thought the camera work was completely overdone,now ever and there were times when it became distracting...the camera work overwhelmed the scene / story. 

Spectre: Meh. 

Cape Fear for the first time (the one with De Niro).

Wow. What an awful movie. Two hours of nightmarish events for absolutely nothing. It's completely pointless, and it's impossible to believe he survives so much that you see it's as if he is a cartoon character [or the devil], but one keeps watching...

What a waste of time. Horrible movie.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:53 AM, Power13 said:

Films watched on my trip to HK and Taiwan last week....

Creed: pretty good. Was surprised it was as good as it was, but very definitely follows the familiar Rocky plotlines. 

Concussion: Thght Will Smith was great. 

The Big Short: for a film that supposedly simplified the crisis, I was still mega-confused. ;)

Our Brand is Crisis: Dumb

The Revenant: Over-hyped, IMO. Honestly, Glass should have died about 6 different ways during that film. Tom Hardy was terrific and some of the scenery was stunning. Thought the camera work was completely overdone,now ever and there were times when it became distracting...the camera work overwhelmed the scene / story. 

Spectre: Meh. 

I think you fly either first or business class on these flights. Is the screen larger than in steerage. I tried watching a movie last week flying back from Albuquerque and it sucked (not the movie, the screen and sound).

1 hour ago, RummagingBedouin said:

I think you fly either first or business class on these flights. Is the screen larger than in steerage. I tried watching a movie last week flying back from Albuquerque and it sucked (not the movie, the screen and sound).

Yes, business with an occasional upgrade to First.  Have your own ~17" screen (although the definition isn't all that great).  And yeah, watching a movie in cattle class on thsoe really small screens kinda sucks.

I saw Love & Mercy last night.

I want my money back.

John Cusack looked like John Cusack, not Brian Wilson.

Paul Giamatti was also terrible casting even if he's a great actor. He was not Eugene Landy, he was Paul Giamatti with a wig.

Paul Dano did his best, but the characters in this were all one-dimensional caricatures.

This was among the worst movies I've ever seen.

A Matter Of Life And Death (1946)

Also released under the title Stairway To Heaven in America. Great film, I got a little bored during the court case scene/s but overall a very enjoyable film. Nice concept, good dialogue and reminded me of It's A Wonderful Life in some ways.

• Like 1

Olive Kitteridge (2014)

Okay, not strictly a movie, it's a HBO miniseries but we don't have a thread for television shows.

Set in a small town in Maines, it follows twenty-five years in the life of the title character and the impact her depression has on her husband, son, in-laws and friends.  

It's slow-paced but a good watch. Nicely directed, great acting from Frances McDormand and even features the likes of Bill Murray and Peter Mullan.

Also produced by Tom Hanks and I believe it's won quite a few awards. I'll be reading the book in due course I think.

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMa2SozchKGxAKDm-QaB4

What did you think of this. I have not seen and cant figure out if it will be good or not.

Finally saw the Revenant on a plane ride. I liked it.  A bit long.

1 hour ago, THUE said:

What did you think of this. I have not seen and cant figure out if it will be good or not.

Finally saw the Revenant on a plane ride. I liked it.  A bit long.

It was only OK. I would say wait for RedBox

We go to alot of movies because the wife gets half price tickets through work. So it's a cheap night out. So if had to pay full price, I would have been unhappy. 

everybodysmall.jpg

The trailer looked awful, Porkies for the 21st Century or even worse but I took a chance as there was nothing else I hadn't seen that I fancied.

The reality was so much better. A fantastic soundtrack (and that is from someone who usually dislikes 80's music), a really good story with lots of laughs (although I would not say it is an out and out comedy) with really likeable characters. 

I am going to see it again tomorrow.

On 5/18/2016 at 7:46 AM, Wasted in the heat said:

Creepy and thought provoking. 

itfollows_dvdblog_dvdart350.jpg

watch it a while back when my wife work second shift almost shit my pants when a was half asleep and saw someone standing over

turned out to be wife who work late [OT] that night............. the movie left an inpresstion