Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

Drove down to Bloomington today so I could keep my tradition with P14 going....took her and friends out to dinner and then she and I went to Black Panther.

Yes, I am a Marvel fanboy, but BP was fantastic....best Marvel movie in a long time (outside of Captain America: Civil War). You don’t have to know the interlacing stories of the other Marvel movies and everything is done so well....lots of geniuine moments of humor, great action sequences, engaging story.....just excellent.

This movie is going to do massive numbers....whole theater was packed and they were showing the movie almost all day on the hour across multiple theaters.

• Like 1

Took a trip to the cinema to see The Greatest Showman the other week and I can't say I was overly impressed. It was more of a 105 minute endurance test if anything. Considering it's a musical, I can't say any of the songs really stood out to me, nor did any particular scene.

I will say however that there is a rising star in Keala Settle and I think her voice really brought a lot to the film

On 2/17/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pastor Jeff said:

What did you think of it?

Thought it was pretty heartbreaking, but very realistic.  Thought the movie did a great job of portraying Halley as a completely unfit mother, and yet still empathizing with her.  She was doing the best she could and still loved her daughter.  I lived in Florida for many years and this is the most realistic portrayal of the ugly underbelly of the tourist trade that I've seen.  

• Thanks 1

We DVRd Last Flag Flying last weekend.  I really love Carell and Cranston, so was hoping for a good flick.  But it's one of those movies that the entire time I kept wondering where it was going.  Cranston is a nut in it, but not one of the better flicks we've seen.

last_flag_flying_.jpg

5 minutes ago, PoetDownHere said:

just finished watching this one. not one of iannucci's funniest films, but it is fantastic, and something about its being a comedy makes it more chilling, not less. it also seems pretty accurate, or as accurate as can be.

@Tom-Joad @redwire @Patched Tube

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHHW2kve-j-rap_InrHdV

I saw the trailer to this one when I went to see Mother! and couldn't say if I was intrigued... Parts of it seemed good, others not so much... I might give it a go.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, gsquare said:

We DVRd Last Flag Flying last weekend.  I really love Carell and Cranston, so was hoping for a good flick.  But it's one of those movies that the entire time I kept wondering where it was going.  Cranston is a nut in it, but not one of the better flicks we've seen.

last_flag_flying_.jpg

This was also the last movie wife and I sat though. Laughed and cried with some drama, most times that's all I need. Like you not the best. Plus it cost $1.65 at the RedBox.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:36 PM, PoetDownHere said:

just finished watching this one. not one of iannucci's funniest films, but it is fantastic, and something about its being a comedy makes it more chilling, not less. it also seems pretty accurate, or as accurate as can be.

@Tom-Joad @redwire @Patched Tube

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHHW2kve-j-rap_InrHdV

I believe it opens here March 8. I'm looking forward to it. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I watched this, again, on the weekend. 

Charade_se-e1382764176385.jpg

• Like 2

I've bought a few dvds recently - watched one of them tonight. Once. Falling Slowly is such a beautiful song.

Not the ending I'd expected ... last couple of films I've watched didn't go as I thought they would - I like that.

Spent a lot of time at the cinema recently!

Saw I, Tonya this afternoon, which I thought was well done, if a little drawn out. Excellent performance from Alison Janney as one of the nastiest moms I have seen on screen.