Greasy Lake Community

The Official MeadowLands September 21st Night #2 SetListVision thread

AMIW

Sheesh. You can't please everyone .

Comments from Blogness:

Just back and gotta say my friends and I were disappointed. A very short show compared to other tour shows. Helsinki gets 4 hrs and NJ barely over 3 hrs…and 35 minutes shorter than Wed night. Two songs by Gary Bonds were not very good (meanwhile, Chicago got Moreno & Vedder). No Badlands, Promised Land, Thunder Road, Prove It…no Spirit in the Night…never been to a show without Badlands. Not to give The Boss a hard time, but a Friday night in his home state of NJ…you have high expectations. Europe got better shows than tonight…Toronto got a better show. Maybe he was sick, but tonight’s show was average compared to how good Bruce’s shows normally are….but I still love him!

Was there for both shows. First night was far superior to this night. It was the first Bruce show I attended he didn’t play Badlands. I guess Bruce is saving it for Saturday night. Supposed to be terrible weather. Wishing everyone going a great time.

Ok, so if this setlist is so great, why is there nothing from

Darkness? Badlands? Promised Land? What happened to The Rising? I understand Bruce can’t play every song, but there’s just some that need to be in the setlist.

Sorry, but Metlife night 2′s setlist doesn’t even begin to compare with all three Boston area shows. I’m still shocked there was no Badlands!

Comments from Blogness:

Just back and gotta say my friends and I were disappointed. A very short show compared to other tour shows. Helsinki gets 4 hrs and NJ barely over 3 hrs…and 35 minutes shorter than Wed night. Two songs by Gary Bonds were not very good (meanwhile, Chicago got Moreno & Vedder). No Badlands, Promised Land, Thunder Road, Prove It…no Spirit in the Night…never been to a show without Badlands. Not to give The Boss a hard time, but a Friday night in his home state of NJ…you have high expectations. Europe got better shows than tonight…Toronto got a better show. Maybe he was sick, but tonight’s show was average compared to how good Bruce’s shows normally are….but I still love him!

Was there for both shows. First night was far superior to this night. It was the first Bruce show I attended he didn’t play Badlands. I guess Bruce is saving it for Saturday night. Supposed to be terrible weather. Wishing everyone going a great time.

Darkness? Badlands? Promised Land? What happened to The Rising? I understand Bruce can’t play every song, but there’s just some that need to be in the setlist.

Sorry, but Metlife night 2′s setlist doesn’t even begin to compare with all three Boston area shows. I’m still shocked there was no Badlands!

Ridiculous. I guess they expect BUTUSA at every show too. The Lack of warhorses ( ie Badlands/rising/lonesome day) was refreshing.

A few things to say after reading this thread tonight.

1. Setlist is great. It's better than great actually, It's amazing! Even Bobby Jean/Mary's Place I love them songs. Inicident -> Rosie, Well there are no words to describe how much I'd love to see that!!

I think the non diehards could be pretty bored though. Lots of tracks that wouldn't be well known to everyone there.

2. It's funny that some folks are saying it was such a short show, haha. 3 hrs 10 mins is short for Bruce, just shows how much he puts into it. Most acts only play half of that length of time at their gigs.

Anyways, Amazing setlist tonight. Wonder what tonight will bring...

Yes, its amazing that anyone calls a 3+ hour rock and roll show short

Definately a show for the long time fans and the die hards. But I think if he plays 3 nights at the same venue, he's gotta mix it up and I can't imagine anyone but the most casual of fans being disappointed after last night

Trying to put myself into a casual fans postion I here I can actually understand a certain dissapointment with that setlist. But seeing how much this 'complainer' know about this tour, the length of the Helsinki-show and the Chicago special guests, he or she dosen't really sound like a casual fan to me.

The Gary US Bonds guest appearance would probably not do much for me either, who is that guy anyway, and what is he famous for? All I know is Quarter To Three, and that's because Bruce played it alot 'back in the day', and as much fun as I'm sure it is, it's not really that great a song.

All that being said, I would have had a hell of a time last night if had I travelled to NJ!

Definately a show for the long time fans and the die hards. But I think if he plays 3 nights at the same venue, he's gotta mix it up and I can't imagine anyone but the most casual of fans being disappointed after last night

But then again, the majority of a crowd this huge, IS actually casaul fans, even at both the second and\or the third show. There are not enough of us die-hards to fill up these venues. I remember back in 2008 when a co-worker of mine went to the second show in Oslo, and not the first, because she could not get tickets to the first. She had a great time and was blown away by how long he played and the energy, but couldn't help but feel a little dissapointed that Bruce didn't play 'The River'. Of course he played it the night before. On the other hand, my father went to the first of the two shows and was surprised he didn't hear BitUSA that night. He played that at the second show.

The Gary US Bonds guest appearance would probably not do much for me either, who is that guy anyway, and what is he famous for? All I know is Quarter To Three, and that's because Bruce played it alot 'back in the day', and as much fun as I'm sure it is, it's not really that great a song.

Quarter to Three not great?!

Bruce wrote two albums worth of songs for him in the early 80s. This Little Girl is one of Bruce's originals. Jole Blon is a classic River tour cover.

Trying to put myself into a casual fans postion I here I can actually understand a certain dissapointment with that setlist. But seeing how much this 'complainer' know about this tour, the length of the Helsinki-show and the Chicago special guests, he or she dosen't really sound like a casual fan to me.

All that being said, I would have had a hell of a time last night if had I travelled to NJ!

I'd look into Gary's albums from 1981 and 1982 Dedication and On The Line. E Street Band all over the place ....9 or 10 Springsteen penned songs .... Sort of the sequel to the party songs of The River.

Comments from Blogness:

"Moreno."

OK.

Quarter to Three not great?!

Bruce wrote two albums worth of songs for him in the early 80s. This Little Girl is one of Bruce's originals. Jole Blon is a classic River tour cover.

I guess I could well change my opinion about QtT if I saw it live myself, but I'm NOT gonna start checking out Gary US Bonds because Bruce wrote songs for him in the 80's, then I'd rather listen to Bruce. ;)

Love Jole Blon, and still hoping to see it live one day, but I'd rather see Bruce performing it with his band and singing it, rather than some guest artist who I barely know who is, sing it. Well, each to their own, right.

But like I said, make no mistake about it, would I have enjoyed last nights show? DEFFINETLY!

I'd look into Gary's albums from 1981 and 1982 Dedication and On The Line. E Street Band all over the place ....9 or 10 Springsteen penned songs .... Sort of the sequel to the party songs of The River.

I'd rather see Bruce, even in a stadium. :P

I'd rather see Bruce, even in a stadium. :P

:lol:

Based SOLELY on the studio performances ....I'd take these albums over Nebraska . :blink: ... A harder call for me once you factor in the live versions of Reason To Believe Johnny 99 and Open All Night of course.

But these two albums are seriously the last time The E Street Band ever sounded like The E Street Band of The River and Disc Two Of Tracks ( and a few on BITUSA ) :)

Jole Blon and This Little Girl were both fun to watch and sing along with as both Bruce and Gary US Bonds traded vocals

Was it an appearance by Eddie V or Bono? No, of course not, but it was great fun and something "out of the norm" which added some different flovors to a very interesting and uncommon setlist

Good show/bad show is always about expectations and personal likes and dislikes. I imagine this blogger would have complained about a static setlist with all the war horses being trotted out. I can already hear him "same old songs night after night, Bruce's creativity and interest in this tour is already dead. He is just punching the concert ATM machine and stealing our money for the same set night after night"

Sheesh, some bloggers. Of course the main idea of a blog is to generate traffic and eyes on the page, so he is possibly being contrary on purpose

it's always easy to focus on the negatives ONLY 3hrs 10mins! Bloody Mary's Place into ***** Sunny Day but he played INCIDENT right after and I forgave him!

Now when are they going to announce the Final Area Shows in December and when can i buy more tickets!

INCIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments from Blogness:

What a douche.

Damn... Incident! I'd die if I saw that one live.

Oh wait... I DID!!!

(Sorry, just had to gloat.)

Good setlist. I'd take Toronto over it still, mainly because no LOHAD, which was my "need-to-see" song.

Jungleland for sure tonight.

You people who saw too many shows on the Rising tour forget that not every fan caught so many as one! Mary's Place is legitimately one of the standout songs on an incredible album - marred, of course, by the fact that it was 20 minutes long every night in 2002 and 2003.

Now we have horns and backup singers and - I believe - a straight playthrough of the song. That's not just acceptable, nor is it good, that's GREAT,

I thought the crowd loved Marys Place. Heck, I did too - having not heard it in years. The singing during Turn It Up literally shook the stadium.

First of all the every night song is always at risk amongst the die hards. And then ....if it happens to not be your favorite to begin with .... well then things can get ugly.

Hell the last tour I saw when the every night song was one i genuinely loved was " Roll Of The Dice "....

Daring question I guess, but just how long was Mary's Place? If it was basically the studio version played live, it could be good I guess? But the 17- and 13 minutes versions from 2003 and 2008, UGH!

Mary's Place was played straight through like on the album. It was NOT the over-extended 20 minute version from the Rising Tour. For me it was much more enjoyable than in the past, but still by far the weak point of the night. But, the crowd seemed to love it and I have to admit that I had always wondered what it would sound like without all the extras from past tours.

Personally i think when the Jersey stand ends ...THIS will be the show i will most regret having missed. ANd Jole Blon being soundchecked is NOT changing my mind. Not too mention arguably the most beautiful day of the year in New York.

Damn Straight ENJ, save for the bookends of LITF and Incident, this is as close as you'll get for a party Bruce summer night setlist....Out in the Street, Hungry Heart, Jole Blon, This Little Girl Is Mine, From Small Things, Talk To Me, Rosalita, Ramrod....What a fun night.

Was just going to post that this setlist seems perfect for a summer night party with Bruce friends. Would've given anything to hear this setlist!

Happy for everyone who was there! :)

Archived