Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoverInTheCold

Ted Koppel is really a jerk...

I think most people, after watching that horrid interview, will agree that Ted came into the interview with some sort of an axe to grind. I don't know his history or leanings, but he seemed pretty much to me, to be unfair and as bias as the "supposed bias" Bruce and Co are going to be touring under. I understand that they need to ask the hard questions and not just Bruce's daughter's horse's favorite color or some other crap like that, but he didn't even let Bruce get a solid chance to say anything without a smartass refute. And you know what Ted, ticket revenue cannot be called "big money" cause' it's coming from the individual concert goers and the majority of them make little to nothing compared to you a year. There is a difference between being a devil's advocate and a jerk and I believe Ted proved himself the latter tonight.

LITC

He asked the questions he was responsible for asking. He also exposed Bruce on a few occasions... namely the reason for the tour... pro Kerry or just to unseat Bruce. At least Koppel stuck to his responsibility as a journalist.

If you think Koppel is a jerk, you're the same type of person who would jump off the Brooklyn Bridge if Bruce said to do it. Get a life, please. There's lots of rewarding things in life out there for you. Please find them.

well, i generally like ted. but i didn't understand that last comment...did bruce cut him off or did ted cut bruce off??? it was wierd and i didn't get it.

but, anywho

bruce is a beautiful man. in more ways then one IPB Image

I think it was a good interview. He asked questions that people here on the Lake were asking. At one point in the interview my husband asked a question out loud to the TV & Ted asked Bruce the question right after it. I'd say he was asking the questions that were on peoples minds. Or are you upset because Ted showed that Bruce contradicted himself during the interview?

well, i generally like ted. but i didn't understand that last comment...did bruce cut him off or did ted cut bruce off??? it was wierd and i didn't get it.

It looked to me like a bad case of editing

Guest hector
I liked that part where Koppled asked him the difference between Kerry and Bush on Iraq and he couldn't come up with anything. That was good.

And judging from your response Ramrod, you'd jump off that Bridge for Bush. I was trying to keep this thread based solely on Ted being a jerk, but now it might have to get moved to the Underworld. Artists have as much right to influence us as politicians, and they have been doing so since the roots of the music we all love. Anybody remember Woody Guthrie? Jack Kerouac. Nobody blames them for being political. It's just the right wing axe grinders who seem to think that just because someone can pick up a guitar or sing a song or write a book, that makes them less educated, less informed, less intelligent and less likely to have a decent opinion, than your average citizen. Oh wait, Bush doesn't give a damn about the average citizen's opinion either.

LITC

I thought Ted was being a responsible journalist. Nightline doesn't do puff pieces. He asked valid questions.

I thought Bruce's answers were sincere, thoughtful, and embracing of all of his fans, even as he spoke out for what he believes.

Proud to be a Bruce fan.

Koppel came out before the interview and admitted not knowing much about popular music. And I think one crucial point that was missing from the piece was the extent that Bruce has written with a political point of view in his career, and how much of that is shaped by his roots.

I think Koppel gave Bruce a chance to speak, and asked some pretty legitimate questions. I liked what Bruce said about the last fours years taking a toll on mainstream American values, and about now wanting to energize the trust he has built with his fan base throughout the years. Bruce has avoided overtly addressing political issues in the past, and part of it is because he is, after all a musician. He's most eloquent as a song writer, and I whether he did stumble a few times over Koppel's questions, his work gives testimony to why Bush should be ousted in 2004.

Aside from agreeing with his politics, I support the idea of the tour because Bruce brings no spin at all into the issue. He came across as an incredibly sincere artist. Asked whether there is a significant enough difference between Bush and Kerry on Iraq, Bruce admitted there is not. But Kerry brings some hope into this campaign, and Bruce has every right to voice his support.

Oh wait, Bush doesn't give a damn about the average citizen's opinion either.

LITC

And Billionaire Kerry does? Did you ever see him interviewed? Just once I'd like him to answer a question

I'm sure, BTW, that Bruce only said it wasn't a blatent Anti-Bush tour because he was fearing that the right-wingers would roll over his next release with a Steam-Roller ala the Dixie Chicks. Lord knows, we in America can't have any of that Hate-Preaching Liberal music, right? Nobody has the right to state their actual opinion in this country anymore without heavy fear of the right coming down on you with veangence.

LITC

yeah, hawk, i was thinking that, but then i thought maybe i missed something.

maybe what was edited out was bruce kicking ted's ass for that 'i KNEW this was more an anti-bush program rather then a pro-kerry one' comment IPB Image i think i did see a little swelling around ted's left eye.... IPB Image IPB Image

hahahahaha

yeah, hawk, i was thinking that, but then i thought maybe i missed something.

maybe what was edited out was bruce kicking ted's ass for that 'i KNEW this was more an anti-bush program rather then a pro-kerry one' comment IPB Image i think i did see a little swelling around ted's left eye.... IPB Image IPB Image

hahahahaha

Yeah and I'm not sure but I think Landau's foot was still in his ass LMAO

Koppel asked, good tough questions. And he is not known for his conservative views. His questions tonight were simply the sign of a good journalist. Period.

I haven't seen this interview, but did Bruce offer some kind of apology for releasing Human Touch?

And Hawk, i'll be the first to admit what Bruce was too scared to. I hope this is an All-Out Bush Bashing festival coming to a venue near you. I don't like Kerry, I don't like Nader, but I loathe Bush.

LITC

Guest hector

I haven't seen this interview, but did Bruce offer some kind of apology for releasing Human Touch?

No, but he did sort of mumble something about the whole Julianne thing, in some fashion.

And Hawk, i'll be the first to admit what Bruce was too scared to. I hope this is an All-Out Bush Bashing festival coming to a venue near you. I don't like Kerry, I don't like Nader, but I loathe Bush.

LITC

Well good for you at least you have more guts then Bruce..But hey you don't have record sales to lose by being honest about what your motives are

Excellent question. Maybe he blames Sting like I do.

Funnny JC.

The major highlight of the interview was the Bush take on Iraq and the Kerry view on Iraq.

Bruce offers us absolutely nothing in regards to helping explain to us the difference between the two.

How can we take his word as something even resembling an authoritative voice on the election when he can't tell us the difference between the 2 candidates on the election's most important issue?

Why does Bruce likes Kerry? He was raised a democrat and will remian a democrat. Don't insult our intelligence. Just tell us why you like Kerry.

Bruce is obviously a talented musician. It goes without saying but when he talks politics it really brings him back to his humble beginnings. It highlights the fact he was a nothing in high school and was never educated by something other than the street.

If I want to see a concert.... I turn to Bruce. If I want to be educated on politics...I'd turn to the deaf and blind man before Bruce.

The major highlight of the interview was the Bush take on Iraq and the Kerry view on Iraq.

Bruce offers us absolutely nothing in regards to helping explain to us the difference between the two.

How can we take his word as something even resembling an authoritative voice on the election when he can't tell us the difference between the 2 candidates on the election's most important issue?

Why does Bruce likes Kerry? He was raised a democrat and will remian a democrat. Don't insult our intelligence. Just tell us why you like Kerry.

Bruce is obviously a talented musician. It goes without saying but when he talks politics it really brings him back to his humble beginnings. It highlights the fact he was a nothing in high school and was never educated by something other than the street.

If I want to see a concert.... I turn to Bruce. If I want to be educated on politics...I'd turn to the deaf and blind man before Bruce.

Quit picking on Bruce.

that whole deaf and blind comment was a bit unwarranted, don't you think ramrod?

IMO Bruce has consistently written with a keen political POV. And so he's coming out this election, succumbing to direct political talk. i think that's the fear. people will often ignore bruce political message when he lays it out in black in white artistically, but when he really collides with politicians and address stuff that the whole dam country is so cynical and divided over, it can hurt him.

but obvoiusly he believes in it enough to do it and i'm happy he's taking a stand.