Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCalliope

The 2013/14 MUFC Thread: 21 Or Bust?

The first ballot of the 2013/14 season opened this morning which means its officially time to look forward. How will David Moyes' first season in charge turn out? Nobody knows but I'm incredibly excited for this season, more than any season for a long time.

NEWS

Executive members, season ticket holders and OneUnited members can apply for the shield now until June 24th, results will be sent out on the 27th. United will recieve 26,960 tickets priced between £20 and £45. The game takes place Sunday August 11th @ 2pm.

Meanwhile, the new home kit comes out today at 12:30pm. As long as it's red and has our badge on it I couldn't care less what it looks like, besides, it can't be any worse than the last one.

Not expecting any solid transfer news until after July 1st when David Moyes and Ed Woodward officially assume their new positions at the club.

2013/14 Confirmed Fixtures

13/07/13 14:00 - Singha All Star XI (A) - Ramajangla Stadium, Bangkok

18/07/13 19:45 - Waterford United (A) - RSC Stadium, Waterford

20/07/13 10:30 - A-League All Stars (A) - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

23/07/13 11:20 - Yokohama F-Marinos (A) - Yokohama Intl Stadium, Yokohama

26/07/13 11:00 - Cerezo Osaka (A) - Nagai Stadium Osaka

29/07/13 TBC - Kitchee FC (A) - Tour Game - Hong Kong Stadium, HK

09/08/13 TBC - Sevilla (H) - Rio Ferdinand Testimonial, Old Trafford

11/08/13 14:00 - Wigan Athletic (N) - Community Shield, Wembley

Bring on the champions! :D

ac88c41b5ed8bd67257c12e35d4477f2_large.j

It's red. That'll do. Fail to find anything exciting about kits really!

The first ballot of the 2013/14 season opened this morning which means its officially time to look forward. How will David Moyes' first season in charge turn out? Nobody knows but I'm incredibly excited for this season, more than any season for a long time.

NEWS

Executive members, season ticket holders and OneUnited members can apply for the shield now until June 24th, results will be sent out on the 27th. United will recieve 26,960 tickets priced between £20 and £45. The game takes place Sunday August 11th @ 2pm.

Meanwhile, the new home kit comes out today at 12:30pm. As long as it's red and has our badge on it I couldn't care less what it looks like, besides, it can't be any worse than the last one.

Not expecting any solid transfer news until after July 1st when David Moyes and Ed Woodward officially assume their new positions at the club.

2013/14 Confirmed Fixtures

13/07/13 14:00 - Singha All Star XI (A) - Ramajangla Stadium, Bangkok

18/07/13 19:45 - Waterford United (A) - RSC Stadium, Waterford

20/07/13 10:30 - A-League All Stars (A) - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

23/07/13 11:20 - Yokohama F-Marinos (A) - Yokohama Intl Stadium, Yokohama

26/07/13 11:00 - Cerezo Osaka (A) - Nagai Stadium Osaka

29/07/13 TBC - Kitchee FC (A) - Tour Game - Hong Kong Stadium, HK

09/08/13 TBC - Sevilla (H) - Rio Ferdinand Testimonial, Old Trafford

11/08/13 14:00 - Wigan Athletic (N) - Community Shield, Wembley

Bring on the champions! :D

Wow you've called this thread early! Fair play to you. As you said, I'm strangely more excited about this season than recent years. Rumours circulating of Ronaldo returning so that would certainly boost chances of making it title 21. City and Chelsea (also changing managers) will be the main threat to taking the title from us.

ac88c41b5ed8bd67257c12e35d4477f2_large.j

It's red. That'll do. Fail to find anything exciting about kits really!

That's the best one in recent years.

Must be why Wayne Rooney wants to leave, he is gonna struggle to get into one of those....

Suitably ugly.

But back to the thread title....................it's a tough gig.

Suitably ugly.

It's a tough challenge for David Moyes to win the title in his first season....but that seems an easy task when compared with Brendan Rogers objective of making the top 4.

Suitably ugly.

But at least Utd have tickets to the show.........Liverpool meanwhile will be in the pub round the corner, getting drunk and remembering when they were in the pit :D:D

Just a thought but next May could see two celebrations - a 21st for Utd & the silver jubilee of Liverpool's last title...................sweet

Just a thought but next May could see two celebrations - a 21st for Utd & the silver jubilee of Liverpool's last title...................sweet

Silver jubilee? They could go longer than Wolves have been waiting for their next title the way football has moved on over the last twenty years or so.

Just watching Japan v Mexico tonight in the confederations cup. Two goals for Javier Hernandez and he even missed a penalty as well, 35 goals for Mexico from 53 appearances - that's incredible. Kagawa looked good for Japan too. Big season for both to see how they feature in the new regime.

Moyes first mistake ?

Wayne Rooney has been left angered and confused about his position at Manchester United, after manager David Moyes hinted the striker would not be his first choice at Old Trafford.

Rooney, 27, has expressed his disappointment to senior figures at the club and insisted he would not accept a squad role behind Robin van Persie.

The England forward has two years left on his contract with United.

He has been linked with Premier League rivals Chelsea and Arsenal.

Moyes, talking to Sunday newspaper journalists on the club's pre-season tour in Bangkok last week, repeated Rooney was not for sale and "had a major role to play".

But Rooney was angered when his manager added: "Overall, my thought on Wayne is that if for any reason we had an injury to Robin van Persie we are going to need him. I want as many options as possible."

Rooney did not justify his wages last season. Too many below par performances. The club are right to keep him on his current contract. He needs to knuckle down and realise he doesn't carry united like he thinks he used to - we would have won the title without him last season. If he throws his toys out of the pram then the club will sell him abroad or to a non title rival like arsenal - but not Chelsea. If he stays and has a great season he will be rewarded with a new bumper contract which he will have earned.

Never post in this thread, and did not post on fergies retirement as there are very few of you on here who actually talk sense without bias.

Anyway my post, obviously he has retired and you lot think he's great and I say his European record does not make him as great as you think.

But I have been thinking, taking away the trophies etc and his manipulation of refs what exactly were his real qualities?

Obvious he had many when you do what he did, but what was he so good at. I've often not been able to answer it. His motivation of players was stunning as evidenced by them scoring so many late goals. But one thing is clear for me now he's gone and that's his mentality of getting goals.

The description of an attacking team is too often skewed by the media. But ferguson in the modern era summed real attacking play up. Look over the years at the goals he got from all over the pitch.

Irwin, vidic, Steve Bruce, Ferdinand etc all defenders who more than contributed.

Wingers who got goals, kanchelskis, sharpe, beckham, Ronaldo, Nani and giggs.

Midfielders who regularly got goals, Ince, Keane, Scholes etc

No need to mention strikers. I don't think he was tactically great but his understanding of what's required from a team was unrivalled.

That for me was his greatest quality.

Never post in this thread, and did not post on fergies retirement as there are very few of you on here who actually talk sense without bias.

Anyway my post, obviously he has retired and you lot think he's great and I say his European record does not make him as great as you think.

But I have been thinking, taking away the trophies etc and his manipulation of refs what exactly were his real qualities?

Obvious he had many when you do what he did, but what was he so good at. I've often not been able to answer it. His motivation of players was stunning as evidenced by them scoring so many late goals. But one thing is clear for me now he's gone and that's his mentality of getting goals.

The description of an attacking team is too often skewed by the media. But ferguson in the modern era summed real attacking play up. Look over the years at the goals he got from all over the pitch.

Irwin, vidic, Steve Bruce, Ferdinand etc all defenders who more than contributed.

No need to mention strikers. I don't think he was tactically great but his understanding of what's required from a team was unrivalled.

Nice post (without too much bias may I add , lol)

Very good post Sean. Even though you are a Liverpool fan I respect your views shaped from the terrace rather than the sky sports influenced views of many football supporters on this forum.

The qualities of sir Alex are often discussed but I haven't seen anyone draw out the strength of creating goalscorers from all around the pitch before, but it is spot on.

For me it was his ability to embrace the many many phases of change from 80's football through to 2013. Many managers won a glut of trophies over a few years, but nobody so consistently over a quarter of a century in the hot seat at such a huge club.

His critics will say that he only won 2 of his 4 Champions League finals and that his teams all too frequently fell at the quarter final and semi final stages. Sir alex himself says we should have won the competition more often. But I will always maintain that the champions league is a cup, the European cup, and the best teams don't always win the cups.

He will be remembered as the manager which no football club other than Liverpool, ever since the game was invented, has won more league titles than he did personally in his time at united.

On his European record, which ain't exceptional I actually think in the last decade he has understood what's required. In the 90s he was too gung ho and not tactically aware enough. That coincides with him bringing in the Portuguese chappy and in my view is him realising he needed to be tactically aware more. Coupled with mourinho, Benitez etc who were tactical coaches it forced his hand more.

I'm sure circa 2000 he stopped playing 2 strikers and realised the midfield and possession were more important. Teams in Europe punish the loss of the ball, on a whole teams in the league here don't.

Like I said I think he would have liked to have dominated Europe for a period like the real great teams.

OMFG Liverpool and Manchester United fans kissing in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G :D

Viva Ronaldo viva Ronaldo get him on the plane bring him back from Spain viva Ronaldo

I don't think a plane has been invented that would get his head through ?

Viva Ronaldo viva Ronaldo get him on the plane bring him back from Spain viva Ronaldo

It will shrink somewhat if he loses his "most expensive transfer in the world" tag by a whopping 20million. Having to share the goals around with Bale and take turns on free kicks? He's off.

It will shrink somewhat if he loses his "most expensive transfer in the world" tag by a whopping 20million. Having to share the goals around with Bale and take turns on free kicks? He's off.

I tell you what, that is a point I never thought of :huh:

Madrid media speculate that Real are buying Bale only because they already know that Ronaldo is off.

since the game was played close to the man utd supporting bastion of east sussex wouldnt you know? :P