Greasy Lake Community

The Official Limerick July 16th EuroSetListVision thread

Rome was history. It was intense, beautiful, breathtaking.

Limerick was relaxed, playful, yet had a political undertone.

Bruce was alive tonight. Stories were back. Jokes were plentiful. He had all sorts of excess energy. He was amazing.

Weather - perfect - played a role as did the generally laid back audience.

Personal favorite was Jack of All Trades, but so many highlights it's hard to chose.

I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world to be experiencing all of this.

Special mention for the Sunny Day Boy, Ross who wanted to sing with the Boss on his 12th birthday. Straight in front of us on the mini-stage Nils side.

For pit-watchers, we got there at 3.30 and we were top of the yellow queue, even though my ticket said blue route all was fine. We got wristbands at about 4pm and went in shortly after. Not sure if blue route got in at same time but we certainly got wristbands first.

It's all so relaxed in Ireland, a pleasure. I think the numbered people (850-900 I think) would say the same thing from what I've heard.

Bruce was alive tonight. Stories were back. Jokes were plentiful. He had all sorts of excess energy. He was amazing.

Personal favorite was Jack of All Trades, but so many highlights it's hard to chose.

Have to agree with all of that. Except Drive All Night was my personal favourite.....excellent song, strong delivery, mesmerising.

Rome was history. It was intense, beautiful, breathtaking.

You had two great shows in succession there Ed! I'm really happy for you and would have loved to have been there!

(I keep missing the songs I really wanted to hear for the first time: Frankie, The Promise, Drive All night, Lost in the flood, NYCS.)

see you in Belfast (hopefully not for another BITUSA album show.)

Not a bad setlist ... I feel kinda lucky though in that the shows I went to had setlists more suited to what I like.

Drive All Night is such a terrible song by the way. It works on the album because of the excellent and moving Wreck on the Highway after it and the inferred connection between the two stories but as a standalone song it's God-awful. Nine minutes of vapid, insomnia-curing dirge which sort of rambles on and on with weak lyrics and never really makes its point. Not rambling in the "hmm this is intriguing" vibe of the first two albums [or Jungleland] but more the "this should've been over minutes ago" vibe. Someone ought to inform Bruce that shoe shops don't open at night by the way ... it would've spared us one of the most stomach-churningly lazy lines in his entire catalogue. Point Blank is the "epic" from The River disc 2 ... Drive all Night is pure horse crap.

If you like it then I'm happy for you, but it's an extremely weak song IMO.

You just dont get it do you

Not a bad setlist ... I feel kinda lucky though in that the shows I went to had setlists more suited to what I like.

Drive All Night is such a terrible song by the way. It works on the album because of the excellent and moving Wreck on the Highway after it and the inferred connection between the two stories but as a standalone song it's God-awful. Nine minutes of vapid, insomnia-curing dirge which sort of rambles on and on with weak lyrics and never really makes its point. Not rambling in the "hmm this is intriguing" vibe of the first two albums [or Jungleland] but more the "this should've been over minutes ago" vibe. Someone ought to inform Bruce that shoe shops don't open at night by the way ... it would've spared us one of the most stomach-churningly lazy lines in his entire catalogue. Point Blank is the "epic" from The River disc 2 ... Drive all Night is pure horse crap.

If you like it then I'm happy for you, but it's an extremely weak song IMO.

Your entitled to your opinion but I disagree, One your saying "the lyrics are weak", I do not think there weak at all, look at some of the lyrics,

And I wish God would send me a word send me something Im afraid to lose

Lying in the heat of the night like prisoners all our lives

I get shivers down my spine and all

I wanna do is hold you tight

It shows the desperation of a man in love and almost begging, you feel sorry for him.

Then you say "the lyrics never make a point", I do not think this song is that ambiguous at all, it is quite a literal message of a man wanting his love back and the lyrics show that. The lyrics do make point by showing the man wants his love back.I do not know how they do not make a point. Then you "this should've been over minutes ago" I disagree because the length and the repetition is showing what love is doing to the man. meaning it is never ending. Then you say "Bruce the shoe shops don't open at night by the way" Yes I think this song is quite literal but within lyrics of this song not everything is literal, so do not take that lyric to literal, the lyric is showing how he would do anything for her to get his love back. Shoes is the irrelevant part it could of been anything eg jewellery, make up. anything but it shows the commitment he has for her to do it at any time.

I think the song is a classic.

That is my opinion

And thankfully you DO get it.... :)

Summed the song up perfectly...

It's a great LOVE song.......

One of the best setlists this leg and for sure the best album-show. I have been to Rome but that setlist would also have been perfect for me. So many epic songs and finally a great mixed up encore! Happy for all who have been there!

You just might be.

Haven't waded through this thread, is there a vid of For You I should be hunting down?

I'll have one up tonight, although I imagine others have beaten me to it.

I thought his mention of Gina was pretty neat.

A note to all the people bemoaning the song repetition between shows, playing full albums yet again and the tedium of attending multiple shows.

Please lay off.

I'm a huge Springsteen fan since '84 and have been to at least one Irish show on all tours since then (excepting last time around). Unfortunately, circumstances dictate that I cannot afford to go to even one show this time and I would give various body parts to have the chance to even stand outside the venue and hear a show like last night.

I'm an avid set list follower but haven't been on the lake since Australia as I knew it would be too painful to read about the European shows knowing the train was rolling closer to home all the time and I wouldn't be on board.

I was reluctant to come on here this morning to read this thread but simply had to. Now I'm sorry I did.

And that petulant whining just rubs salt into the wounds. Have some consideration.

Thanks.

A note to all the people bemoaning the song repetition between shows, playing full albums yet again and the tedium of attending multiple shows.

Please lay off.

I'm a huge Springsteen fan since '84 and have been to at least one Irish show on all tours since then (excepting last time around). Unfortunately, circumstances dictate that I cannot afford to go to even one show this time and I would give various body parts to have the chance to even stand outside the venue and hear a show like last night.

I'm an avid set list follower but haven't been on the lake since Australia as I knew it would be too painful to read about the European shows knowing the train was rolling closer to home all the time and I wouldn't be on board.

I was reluctant to come on here this morning to read this thread but simply had to. Now I'm sorry I did.

And that petulant whining just rubs salt into the wounds. Have some consideration.

Thanks.

I'm sorry that you can't get to a show this time around (I've been in that position too) but to ask people to not post things you might not agree with or find painful to read (on a discussion forum) is a bit selfish of you maybe?

Please lay off.

Thanks.

I'm sorry that you can't get to a show this time around (I've been in that position too) but to ask people to not post things you might not agree with or find painful to read (on a discussion forum) is a bit selfish of you maybe?

Yeah, maybe.

I guess my point is that people can tend to forget how fortunate and privileged they are and it grates sometimes.

Please lay off.

Thanks.

Yeah, maybe.

I guess my point is that people can tend to forget how fortunate and privileged they are and it grates sometimes.

Sure but Ireland has seen a lot of shows over the years. Maybe you'd like to spare a thought for those in areas which have been less well served. I'm sure that grates with them sometimes.

Very nice.

And people complaining about an album show when the album contains thunder road, backstreets, born to run, meeting across the river and jungleland. Go figure.

Exactly.

I would give one of my bollocks to see "BTR" in it's entirety.

Archived