Greasy Lake Community

The Official Belfast July 20th EuroSetListVision thread

Got back this afternoon from an absolutely fabulous weekend in Belfast. Most of what I wanted to say has been said already (the good bits I mean ;) ). The show was made even more pleasurable by sharing it with two lovely Lakers (and of course mr jmw, who is not into jumping up and down and punching his fist in the air but HAS been in the pit in the past :lol: ).

No use asking me my favourite bits - silly question, eh? But the pre-show will forever stick in my mind. Elanor and I were walking away from the field to get water, when we heard 'the cheer' go up. We looked at each other, said 'noooooo!' and suddenly we were holding hands, and running, running and I felt as if I was 25 again at Wembley Stadium, or 28 again, running, running back to the car park with mr jmw after Bramhall Lane - and we got back to see our man saying hallo to the early arrivals, and looking so friggin ' ... well, see the above pics ;)

Maria's Bed - one of my favourites on D & D. Thanks, Bruce. Loved the way he copped out of In Dreams just before the really high bit. Ha! Ha! He said he sings it at home, but starts in a lower key! Fade Away and Nebraska were firsts for me - sung so beautifully. This Little Light with Cindy - oh, how I love that girl! Open All Night was a tour de force and the crowd were mad for Shout (made a nice change from T & S). Thunder Road was heartbreaking.

Bruce, you are a force of nature, (a work of art also) and I love you to bits. Not like I love my family of course, but I love you for all that you give, this far into your career, and all that it so clearly means to you and for the way you make our lives so bright for those few hours. You had the crowd in the palm of your hand all night - two young lads aged about 15 in front of me just kept looking at each other in disbelief every time you sang another song.

I'll be happy to wash your sweaty old shirt any time. Honest.

(Other random thoughts - BELFAAAAAAST! BRUUUUUCE! BELFAAAAAST! BRUCE! Open top bus tour - great stuff. Titanic exhibition - great stuff. Belfast City - we'll be back. The touristy things we did reminded me of Dublin last year - see Bruce one day then do the Guinness tour the next B) ).

I enjoyed being amongst the older fans in the pit because it's just a joy to see them regress to adolescence when Bruce hits the stage. Time doesn't exist at an E Street gig. That and they don't take any shit from people bunking the queue or starting trouble!

I do agree about people not clapping and singing. I get that some people just don't experience music that way but I just don't get guys standing with their arms folded chewing gum like they're watching a snooker match rather than...you know...the greatest live band on earth. I think if you don't want to participate it makes more sense to be in the GA area rather than the pit.

One thing I'm sick of seeing is older fans who seem to think clapping, singing and taking part is beneath them. It happens everywhere I've seen Bruce. Just becuase you've seen him 59 times doesn't mean you can't put in a bit of energy.

This week's poll: should older fans be banned from the pit?

That's just ageist maaaaann.

In case someone misunderstands, let me just clarify that I'm an older fan who sang, clapped, yelled and jumped up and down to the point of exhaustion all through the Belfast show. But you probably mistook me for a young person :)

Seriously, I'm glad you had such a good time. If you are in Kilkenny next week please come up and meet this older fan.

I wasn't in any way trying to say that all older fans don't take part. I just always notice a few around me who seem to think they're at the cinema and that the concert isn't a give and take thing. The band feed off the atmosphere after all.

Belfast really was great, especially the pre-show. We were just on the other side of the pit when he came out for it (I'm so glad I agitated for us to leave the King's Head and get into the Arena when the gates opened) and the excitement and exuberance was amazing. I'd never seen Growin' Up live before and love the acoustic version from Tracks, so that really made it for me.

I just love the way he genuinely didn't seem to know what he was going to play when he came out and his reaction to seeing the sign for California Blue ('What the fuck is that? What's California Blue???') then going straight into In Dreams. What a guy! I hadn't seen a pre-show before, but if there's ever a reason to get in early that's it - a real stroke of luck...

We moved back for the rest of the concert to sit on the grass - a different way to view it from where we were at first but I enjoyed it. I'm past the stage where I want to be packed in like sardines and prefer to have plenty of room.

Robinson's Bar after the gig for the live Irish music was good too, with plenty of impromptu Brrroooooss shouts and Badlands type singing to liven things up.

Great weekend - I'd be back in a flash.

Hello all, I think the overall success of this week in Belfast goes to show that despite all the negative press Belfast sometimes gets, the majority of us have our heads screwed on tight. I spoke to a couple of people in the days before the gig who said they were having second thoughts about coming to Belfast etc because of what had went on the week before in some areas of the city but judging by the comments on here from people who came from outside of Northern Ireland saying about how wonderful Belfast was, how the people treated them and how much fun they had before, during (even tho that was down to Bruce and ESB lol) and after the gig is testament to the fact that Belfast is still one of the best cities in Europe to visit, despite the knuckleheads who live here! LOL Anyway...

WHAT A DAY! WHAT A SHOW! WHAT A BAND! WHAT A MAN!!!

Friends and family have been asking me what the show was like and whenever I tell them I cant help but shake my head and tell them they wouldn't understand even if I did tell them LOL I was adamant on Friday that I wouldnt be doing the pit this time round but had a change of heart on Friday evening and boy am I glad I did! Despite the boring hours of queuing in the hot sun, I would safely say that I would gladly do it all again this weekend if I could. From the moment Bruce stepped on stage to do his 5 song pre show set you could tell it was going to be a special evening. Marias Bed, Growin' Up and one of my all time favourite tracks This Hard Land were all fantastic, the only downside was that once he left the stage it would be another 2 hours until we seen him again LOL but it was worth the wait. The show opener - This Little Light of Mine was immense, Cindy is amazing - I think I fell in love with that woman on Saturday night!! I couldnt believe the energy that the whole band were putting into each and every note, all the way from The Ties That Bind until Bruce took it down a few notches with Nebraska, which was spellbinding.

God bless whoever had the Prove it '78 sign, Nils guitar solo was a sight to behold, the guy is a friggin' genius! Fade Away - brilliant. I thought the way Bruce ended it, gradually backing away from the mic was class too. Open All Night was a rip roaring ride, does anyone have a link for a video of this by the way? Or even the audio, I absolutely loved it and cant wait to hear it again! The encores as usual, BITUSA, Born to Run, DITD etc, no matter how many times you hear them you just cant help but sing along with every word, Max's drum solo was unbelievable on BITUSA. What age are these guys?! LOL. Loved Rocky Ground and Bruce dedicating it to Belfast was a nice touch. Shout was brilliant fun! And even tho my left knee felt like it would explode at any second I still managed to get down and get back up again, thanks to the healing power of Bruce and the E Street Band!!

I'd like to give a special mention to Jake. How good is this guy? I know it goes without saying for a lot of people on here but I only made Dublin Night 2 last year after the infamous sneezing 'incident' so I didnt get to experience his presence on stage at that time but this time, he was so cool. His confidence really shines through and he seems as though hes been playing with the E Street Band since the beginning! Bruces decision to recruit Jake and the other guys in the horns section was inspired. Those guys are fantastic.

And then, the closer, the pièce de résistance, the cherry on the cake! Thunder Road. This was the first time I have experienced Thunder Road live and in person and it didnt disappoint. Breathtaking is the only word I can use to describe it. So now I've got the Bruce blues. I was going to try and make Kilkenny this weekend but it doesnt look as if I'll be able to due to work and other things, in hindsight I should've booked it months ago but I thought Belfast would be enough. How wrong I was lol Hopefully this isnt the end for Bruce and the E Street Band. My son is 4 and he loves Bruce so I would like to take him one day so he can experience for himself, the unifying power of rock and roll that can only come from the legendary E Street Band!!! Until then I'll have to make do with YouTube videos and bootlegs, unless of course Bruce Inc decide to bring out an official tour DVD LOL

Gerard

thanks for the nice post Gerard.

As a visitor from abroad I can wholeheartedly agree that Belfast gave us an extremely warm welcome everywhere: taxi drivers, hotel receptionists, waiters, bus drivers, ticket vendors, supermarket staff, police. Venue security personnel in particular.

We enjoyed our visit tremendously and will definitely come back for a return visit,

Great post Gerard - sums the experience up well. There were a few times that evening when I just had my mouth and my eyes wide open, mouthing the word ''Wow!' - the rich harmonies on This Little Light Of Mine, when the first stark chords of Nebraska were hit, the aftermath of one of Nils' solos (Prove it All Night I think), the harmonica and guitar interplay at the start of Reason To Believe.... some of the stuff we saw on Saturday was simply staggering.

I especially liked Jake's reaction immediately after the Badlands sax solo; punching the air with a face that said 'Nailed it!' - worth checking on YouTube.

Love Reason to Believe when he says 'Make it dirty' - said it at the Olympic Park as well.

Ooo-er!

I can't stop watching The Reason to Believe clip. It 's fantastic. And I mean the music. Seriously.

A bit off topic here, but I've just been looking at some photos we took when we did the open-top bus tour on Sunday morning. There were quite a few Brucie fans on the bus, and of course I've been wondering if any were Lakers. I don't want to put the photo up, but was anyone on those tours?

thanks for the nice post Gerard.

As a visitor from abroad I can wholeheartedly agree that Belfast gave us an extremely warm welcome everywhere: taxi drivers, hotel receptionists, waiters, bus drivers, ticket vendors, supermarket staff, police. Venue security personnel in particular.

We enjoyed our visit tremendously and will definitely come back for a return visit,

^ Agree with all this.

Visited for the first time back in 2007 for the Magic tour show with some doubts about what to expect and had a great time. Had an even better time last weekend and the welcome was so warm from everyone. Would have no hesitation about returning again.

Its Once Upon A Time in The West by Ennio Morrcone.

Bruce has also covered it on a tribute album and back on the River tour the band used to play it as a prelude to 'Badlands'.

Greatest movie theme ever IMO.

Its Once Upon A Time in The West by Ennio Morrcone.

Bruce has also covered it on a tribute album and back on the River tour the band used to play it as a prelude to 'Badlands'.

You beauty! Was racking my brain for ages.Thanks a lot :)

Archived