Greasy Lake Community

The Official Kilkenny July 27th Night #1 EuroCATLISTVISION thread

Standard enough setlist by my goodness as great gig.

Johnny 99, Sweet Soul Music, Long Time Coming all brilliant.

Duet with Hansard will be talked about for many many years to come. Fair play to Glen for holding it together - they really nailed it.

So couldn't really afford to go to this show but it landed at the end of a weeks holiday on the west coast for us and the tickets were just there when I checked on ticketmaster last week so with the credit card >€400 down, the family set off for Kilkenny.

I'd missed the last few Irish shows for financial reasons and of course couldn't afford to trek to multiple shows in order to develop a finely honed sense of what constitutes the perfect set list so had to take what I got.

And did I enjoy it!

I was actually glad it was a bitusa album show. I got into Bruce when I was 12 with that album but was too young to go to Slane that year. Thus I've always felt I missed something by missing that tour. I'm not a huge fan of the title Track and cover me was a bit of a mess last night, I felt. However, after that, it just got better and better. I realised around the album flip what a great selection of songs were still on their way and had loads of fun singing along to side 2. Was especially nice to hear my hometown with my eight year old son.

I had an inkling bitusa would be on its way when they played stand on it earlier, one of my faves from a 12" I had growing up so great to hear that live - brought back a lot of memories. And sweet should music was a real treat for me - loved that song growing up and knew it would be great with the horns etc.

Highlight for me was drive all night. Not a big outspan fan but really nice to see an artist appreciate the song for what it is and render it perfectly.

So I left more than happy, ecstatic in fact. Sorry I won't be there for the party tonight but will follow avidly on here, trying to ignore the naysayers. For people like me for whom a show is a rare treat, any show is great.

Plus we now have two new springsteen fans in my kids who were mesmerised, transfixed and raving about the experience on the way home. €400 very very well spent.

Well, first of all it´s still a pretty decent setlist after all and I´m sure the people there enjoyed the concert.

But given the european tour finales on the 2009 tour and last year (Gothenburg double header and Helsinki) people were expecting something special tonight and that well didn´t happen...

And i rememeber when the Kilkenny Shows were announced that a lot of folks from Italy,Germany,Spain and co sold their Cork/Limerick/Belfast tix and rebooked their flights to be at the tour conclusion.

Matter of fact at the previous 3 Ireland Shows the Queue people (maybe except 50 people) weren´t the usual ones you find with the low numbers...

And a lot of them skipped night 1 yesterday to queue for night two where they wanna be in front...

But as Growin up said : It´s their risk. I personally had 2 times BitUSA (not exactly my favourite) and two times BTR on this tour and still sang on the top of my lungs during the BitUSA album....

But i know people who left (whoch i frankly don´t get) when he announced BitUSA Album because they already had it XXX times on this tour...

Re comparing last nights show to the last shows of last years tour: you were at Ullevi last year weren't you? I don't know what's your take on it, but I'm actually surprised quite a few thought the first show at Ullevi last year was a little so-and so. "Standard setlist, no big surprises, blah blah blah..."

I thought that was a very well paced show with a strong opening, allright I admidt stopping the show for Something in the Night, and then kickstarting it again with My Love... seemed a little weird at the time, but that was thanks to a sign anyway. You had the epic Drive All Night after Sunny Day and a strong encore. My guess is that last nights show had a very similar feeling to the first show in Gothenburg last year, lacking that little extra, but maybe that actually had to do with people having skyhigh expectations?

I've said I'm not a fan of full album shows, have my song preferences etc but I'm damned sure I'd rather have been there last night than sitting watching TV at home as I did.

The voice of reason, as always!

Also, I guess last nights show was by far better than no show at all like the US are getting, of course I'm guessing here, but you could always contact AMIW for confirmation.

Drive All Night with Glen Hansard

This right here, oh wow...

Wow indeed. Bruce seems to be really into Glen's contributions.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah.....that was certainly a WOW moment

Looked like this Glen guy LOVED that.....who wouldn't singing a Beautiful Bruce song with the MAN himself

Think that song alone would be enough for me for a show....

LOVE LOVE LOVE it !!

Re comparing last nights show to the last shows of last years tour: you were at Ullevi last year weren't you? I don't know what's your take on it, but I'm actually surprised quite a few thought the first show at Ullevi last year was a little so-and so. "Standard setlist, no big surprises, blah blah blah..."

I thought that was a very well paced show with a strong opening, allright I admidt stopping the show for Something in the Night, and then kickstarting it again with My Love... seemed a little weird at the time, but that was thanks to a sign anyway. You had the epic Drive All Night after Sunny Day and a strong encore. My guess is that last nights show had a very similar feeling to the first show in Gothenburg last year, lacking that little extra, but maybe that actually had to do with people having skyhigh expectations?

I've said I'm not a fan of full album shows, have my song preferences etc but I'm damned sure I'd rather have been there last night than sitting watching TV at home as I did.

Also, I guess last nights show was by far better than no show at all like the US are getting, of course I'm guessing here, but you could always contact AMIW for confirmation.

i think Gothenburg #1 was brilliant,its just overshadowed by the epicness of Night2..

Still Album,Shows for me seem like lazy move and i'm really surprised he pulled that out on the penultimate night...

I think it's a bit unfair to call it a poor setlist, stand on it and drive all night id loved to have heard this year and I'm going down, downbound train, I'm on fire and my hometown are great and not usually played live unless you get a full album show.

I expect an amazing show for night 2 and I'm sad I can't be there! Enjoy everyone.

i think Gothenburg #1 was brilliant,its just overshadowed by the epicness of Night2..

Still Album,Shows for me seem like lazy move and i'm really surprised he pulled that out on the penultimate night...

Wonder if he'll complete the album triology in Ireland by playing Darkness on the Edge of Town tonight?

I was kinda expecting both Kilkenny shows not to be album shows, and rather Btr, Darkness... and BitUSA at the three first irish shows, especially after Limerick.

I saw five album shows this tour, and four non-album shows, and had a great time. I really enjoyed seeing BtR played in full in Stockholm, having never seen "Meeting Across the River" live before, and you don't get both "Backstreets" and Jungleland" in the one and same show very often, let alone "Meeting..." before "Jungleland".

"Born in the USA" in Milano was great too, it just worked so good with that crowd and made it a memoreable night.

All that being said, it was really cool to wrap the tour up with two non-album shows in Cardiff and Leeds, and that opening show in Oslo does not really get the credit it deserves. That was a fantastic performance by Bruce and the band, but kinda lacked the atmosphere thanks to the worst norwegian audience in the history of horrible norwegian audiences. And sadly that's a long f***in' history.

On a sidenote, the two album shows I saw at MSG back in 2009 was both fantastic, with the second probably being my alltime favourite show, or at least up there.

No matter what anyone's opinion is of a set list, I don't see how you can ever be at a Bruce show and not enjoy every moment of being there! I love every minute of watching this man and his band on stage,..sure there are always some songs that I would have loved to hear, but I never feel critical of the songs he chooses to play.

My only criticism of last night, was some people around me were more interested in talking then actually listening! even when Bruce was speaking, I couldn't hear what he was saying, which was really frustrating. Some drunken girls deliberately throwing themselves around the place was also annoying. They were a lot older than me too, it starts to look really pathetic if you cant handle your drink in your late 20s-30s.

But anyways, I love Bruce and all the band! hope everyone enjoys tonight!! :) and I saw the thank you signs at the end of the show last night, thought it was a lovely touch.

Thank you Bruce and the phenomenal E Street Band for yet another fantastic show. :)

Springsteen lazy? Really?

Album shows are not lazy. Much prefer them to wincing as he takes sign requests for other people's songs! Album shows give me a chance to hear some deep cuts I might not've heard before. It's indescriminate too, if you've got a fav on that album, you will hear it. Saw BITUSA at Olympic Park and had a brilliant time. Hope the audience did too. If you're getting that disappointed with the setlists, as someone said, time to spend money on something else.

Been to three concerts this year and not one has been an album show ,but i wish i had been there last night to see BITUSA , rather he sang his own songs rather than shout etc, if i wanted to hear them i would gan and see lulu.

Set lists are relative. An album show might be deemed lazy and boring by die hards who want to hear obscure B sides but to the average fan they work very well. Bruce considers both sets of fans and I'm sure he'll play some rare stuff tonight.

I think a true 'die hard' can appreciate any show, they should just love to see this band play, no matter what.

I am actually shocked by the comments I have read on this forum regarding same.. its so self indulgent.

182944_10152111392918569_526090385_n.jpg

Amazing fair play to you for doing that it will be a fab moment to remember when he gets that card.delighted for ye.have an amazing night!

Nice one!

Awesome - been to six of those beauties... Good work!

Archived