Greasy Lake Community

The Official Kilkenny July 28th Night #2 EuroCATListvision thread

>>>> Mrs Crusty's twitter has gone into overdrive about this

there are so many possible replies to this that would get me banned so i'll just say

has she see a doctor about it?

great to meet Mrs Crusty and her husband who gives great hugs in cardiff

After being at two Irish gigs and in the pit both times a few rows back I have to ask how do the die hards in the front row keep their spot for the whole show without going to the toilet??

you ask the people around you to safeguard your spot, which being the nice international Bruce crowd that they are, they invariably do.

I was on the barrier yesterday and went out twice without any problems relatively early on (the second time just before Imelda May came on).

Of course, in the later stages, just before or during the show, when everyone is standing really close together, it's best not to chance it unless nature calls really loudly.

Bumped into this guy in Mount Juliet.....we swung by there on the way home as Mrs Slane had never been there (I had a few work golf things there over the years). Had a walk around and a glass of wine, it's an absolutely fantastic spot.

9396487098_211e174e48_b.jpg

Aw Jake seems so nice!

Mount Juliet is fab, I love going for walks or jogs there. What I love about it is that it's a really top class spot but not at all snobby or stuffy.

Went there with a few friends for a walk so we were in runners and tracksuit bottoms, not dressed for anything fancy but we decided we'd have lunch there and the staff were so nice, they didn't care what we looked like. I suppose with golfers coming in and out there are plenty of people dressed casually.

Really hope whoever was staying there from the band enjoyed it, I'm sure they did.

He said "The older you get, the more it means" and went on to talk about how much he enjoyed this tour although they have lost people along the way in recent times. He seemed genuinely emotional as he spoke.

He then repeated it- "The older you get, the more it means".

Just beautiful.

lovely.

Happy for you as well that Bruce was in your hometown, wrapping up a tour no less!It felt very special having him in Cork so know what its like.Delighted for you, glad you had an amazing time!

Does anyone have anymore info on the fans tribute ??

This looks very like the T-Shirts we got made up that Nils tweeted on, it would be quite a thing if we influenced a bit of the show like that

Just for people who might not know about this, these are the words Bruce said (love it by the way, you must be delighted!).

He thanked the:

Ticket seekin,

hotel bookin,

money jugglin,

plane takin,

train ridin,

queue formin,

tramp meetin,

feet throbbin,

back breakin,

burger eatin,

rain endurin,

music lovin,

Boss followin

legendary

E Street Fans.

Class.

That's our T-Shirt alright :)

After being at two Irish gigs and in the pit both times a few rows back I have to ask how do the die hards in the front row keep their spot for the whole show without going to the toilet??

This is what put me off going to Kilkenny after experiencing standing at the front for 10 hours in Hyde Park last year. Although, sitting at home this weekend I felt sad not to be there.

This is what put me off going to Kilkenny after experiencing standing at the front for 10 hours in Hyde Park last year. Although, sitting at home this weekend I felt sad not to be there.

its hard enough waiting when gates open at 5 but when gates open at 1 or earlier?!!I couldnt face that at all.Turned me off Kilkenny.Dont think I could do a festival date to be honest.

its hard enough waiting when gates open at 5 but when gates open at 1 or earlier?!!I couldnt face that at all.Turned me off Kilkenny.Dont think I could do a festival date to be honest.

I've only been in the front row once, and that was last week in Cardiff. It was wonderful, but I don't expect it every time. I'd rather be at the back at a Bruce concert than not be there at all.

BQSDhPRCcAADux9.jpg

@emyberga

That's the back of my Loose Ends sign......

I saw it! From the wrong end of the railing gap between the pit and the rest of the crowd. And I knew it was someone I wanted to say hello to.So I do it now instead. Hello!

I promised a better report from the show when I had collected myself and could see what I was writing between the tears. Actually I'm still an emotional wreck, but I'll try to sum up my impressions anyway. And my first year with Bruce Springsteen.

Kilkenny 2 was my 5th show, and the anniversary of my first, in Gothenburg, July 28th 2012. So I have to count the Gothenburg show as my number one, in all respects, because that's the show where I recieved my Brucification. When I was knocked out of my socks, seriously wondering what I'd been through. That's where it started, my now year long journey of trying to learn the immense Bruce catalogue, discovering it all, from the classics - Oh, Thunder Road!!!!, how many versions have I seen on Youtube? - to finding favourites among the hidden gems.

Setlist watching, what a great way of spending an evening! I Wish I Were Blind, Reason To Believe, Long Walk Home and many many more, ,I wouldn't have discovered the loveliness of those songs without the SLV. Thank you, SLV managers!

Well, back to Kilkenny.

When the European shows for 2013 were announced, I decided to book three dates. Stockholm, ( I have a daughter there) Copenhagen ( I have a house that's reachable from Copenhagen) and Wembley (another daughter not far away). Oh, that was a fantastic threesome!

I got a beautiful album performance of Darkness in Stockholm, in Copenhagen I was really lucky and got into the pit, second row from the railing, which added a new dimension to my Brucification....and Wembley- well you all know what Wembley was about!

But.....would that be all? Should he really be allowed to keep touring without me, leave Europe and then go home across "shark infested waters"? No, of course not.

And that's where Kilkenny comes in.

The last show of the tour, a small gap in my family holiday planning, and there it was! A concert ticket, a husband who wouldn't mind a short Irish break, a rented car and a hotel in nearby Carlow. Very smooth. And what a concert, what a performance!

It had it all. Bruce on fire, rocking Bruce, angry Bruce, funny and playful Bruce, serious Bruce, emotional Bruce, and a band, E -streeters, horn section, backing singers (Cindy!!!!) at their very best. A set of songs with classics, surprises, the full Born To Run album (you can NEVER go wrong with that!) and an ending that I will never forget as long as I live, They gave it all, and they got it all back from a great audience. I got a spot by the railing in the main crowd, divided from the pit by a gap, and that turned out to be a perfect place. No tall people in front, great view of the stage and the screens. Perfect sound. Surrounded by some lovely people:an American couple celebrating their 40th anniversary with a series of Bruce concerts, Bruce fan Mary from Tipperary and her friend, and a nice Scottish woman who warned me that she would start crying if he'd pull out his harmonica and play any of the more emotional songs. He did. I can say that we cried a lot together, the Scottish woman and I.

Review? Well, it's still difficult to take a balanced, journalistic point of view of this show, but for me personally it's definitely number two, after my obvious Brucification show a year ago. The start was fantastic: The action and soul filled This Little Light of Mine, followed by My Love Will Not Let You Down (love it!), and a concentrated, fierce Badlands that set the crowd on fire. Perfect.

Adam Raised a Cain was burning down the house with a tight grip. Even angrier than in Stockholm. 41 Shots! I never thought I'd get to hear that live! Lucky us! And then the "debts" he wanted to pay back to his most dedicated sign holding fans. That turned out to be well rehearsed special versions. So nice! What about a modern version of Wild Billy's Circus Story? Just asking?

And a full album Born to Run. Thunder Road! She's the One! Backstreets! And.....JUNGLELAND! That's where my breakdown started. I can never listen to Jungleland alone in in my car without tearing up, and now.....well by Roy's piano bridge after Jake's solo I had to squeeze someone's arm really hard, and Bruce nailed the final howling I was done in.

After that he could have played anything And I'd have kept on sobbing. But I managed to catch the lovely moment in the encores when he gave the guitar to the kid who was on stage for Dancing in the Dark, I think American Land is a great song and This Little Light one more time, yes it's worth a second spot! . They do it so well. And the thank you to the E Street fans! Wow! I'm going to order that T-shirt!

But when Bruce came back on stage after thanking the band, making his lovely speech to finish off the tour, and grabbing the harmonica for the solo acoustic.........This Hard Land! ......a song from my top ten list! And a performance where you could both see and hear that he was extremely moved. There were even moments when his voice broke, so neither I nor the woman from Glasgow should be blamed for our streaming tears. (Even her 20 year old son got a fly in his eye) .That was the hallelujah moment to close my Springsteen year. And then he sent us off with a "take care of yourselves!" He couldn't have done better.

Thank you, Bruce.

BQSDhPRCcAADux9.jpg

@emyberga

That's the back of my Loose Ends sign......

I saw it! From the wrong end of the railing gap between the pit and the rest of the crowd. And I knew it was someone I wanted to say hello to.So I do it now instead. Hello!

Hello Cecilia! I posted a photo of it on here on friday night so you might have seen it there.

Archived