Greasy Lake Community

That One Song

If you could have Bruce and the Band (or just Bruce if you so desire) cover one song, what would that song be?

In the studio or live; the song and the setting is your choice.

For me it would be a live full band cover of Marc Cohn’s ‘Walking in Memphis’. That song is just beautiful. And the thought of Cindy and Soozie on background vocals… well my laptop is about to fry because I’m drooling on the keyboard. :D

Not sure if this idea has been discussed before, my apologies if so, but I thought it would be a pretty cool topic of discussion.

Anybody else find themselves often wishing Bruce would cover a certain song?

Solo acoustic Bruce: Dylan's "Shelter From The Storm" in the "Who'll Stop The Rain?" slot.

Full band: Reach Out (I'll Be There) or I Can See Clearly Now.

And with the current incarnation of the ESB having a full horn section, I'd really love a full album show of Men Without Women. No, it won't ever happen, but I can dream.

Without a doubt, for the full band, it would be House of the Rising Sun (Animals style). They'd have to purchase a real Vox Continental though, no cheapass emulator is good enough for that song.

For Bruce solo, I'd probably have to say The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash. He could make that a lot of fun!

For the sessions band, Delia's Gone, the traditional murder ballad. That band never quite crossed the threshold of darkness that a lot of old folk music did.

Although I'm pretty sure I've seen that he has played I have not heard it but I would love to hear Drift Away live. Also any Bob Seger song The Fire Inside, Hollywood Nights, We've Got Tonight,etc

JacksonCage570, for your viewing and listening pleasure:

(Don't click this if there's someone in the room who's going to get offended by Bruce talking about testicles.)

Although I'm pretty sure I've seen that he has played I have not heard it but I would love to hear Drift Away live. Also any Bob Seger song The Fire Inside, Hollywood Nights, We've Got Tonight,etc

Bruce's Drift Away is epic, especially the one from the Meadowlands in 84 as a duet with Steve. B) And Night Moves would be one of my other top choices for this, since it's basically a Bruce Springsteen song anyway.

I'll probably think of others later but 2 spring to mind at the moment

Talk of Marc Cohn in the original post strikes a chord with me but my choice would be True Companion from the same album. One of my fave songs ever by anyone, a beautiful love song if anyone wants to check it out. I visualise it sung by bruce and the band plus the backing singers in the style of If I Should Fall Behind from the reunion tour. It would be stunning.

For a fun cover with the full horn -led Wrecking Ball treatment id go for Sam Cookes Twisting the Night Away

I'll probably think of others later but 2 spring to mind at the moment

Talk of Marc Cohn in the original post strikes a chord with me but my choice would be True Companion from the same album. One of my fave songs ever by anyone, a beautiful love song if anyone wants to check it out. I visualise it sung by bruce and the band plus the backing singers in the style of If I Should Fall Behind from the reunion tour. It would be stunning.

For a fun cover with the full horn -led Wrecking Ball treatment id go for Sam Cookes Twisting the Night Away

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind that either or if there was a full band cover of 'Silver Thunderbird'. Hell, Bruce could cover almost any song of Marc's. They're very similar artists in some ways.

Awesome replies too, thanks everybody. Keep ‘em coming!

Archived