Peter

Which NON-Bruce song are you listening to right now?

I like this one, but he butcher his own song.

Bruce OWN it. Bruce justhave all the emotion, anger, pain, hurt etc. stuffed into his version while Jimmy's own sound like a happy dance.

Bruce OWN it. Bruce justhave all the emotion, anger, pain, hurt etc. stuffed into his version while Jimmy's own sound like a happy dance.

Agreed!

Agreed!

And that's exactly why I like bringing the original up on occasion. Because I assume that at least everybody who likes Bruce, knows his version, but the original is little known in its own and there's a reason for that. All the deceptively lightheartedness that's into Jimmy Cliff's own version, is stripped from Springsteen's cover. There's nothing light, easy or clean about Trapped the Springsteen way. Which is why I rate Springsteen's version as one, if not THE best cover, he's ever made. You can hear it as a song about a bad love-relationship. You can hear it with a "political" point against oppression of any sort. You can use it any way you want because it's so angry, bitter and relentless. But I believe that one can only truly appreciate what world of good Bruce has done to the song, if one knows the original.

Agreed!

And that's exactly why I like bringing the original up on occasion. Because I assume that at least everybody who likes Bruce, knows his version, but the original is little known in its own and there's a reason for that. All the deceptively lightheartedness that's into Jimmy Cliff's own version, is stripped from Springsteen's cover. There's nothing light, easy or clean about Trapped the Springsteen way. Which is why I rate Springsteen's version as one, if not THE best cover, he's ever made. You can hear it as a song about a bad love-relationship. You can hear it with a "political" point against oppression of any sort. You can use it any way you want because it's so angry, bitter and relentless. But I believe that one can only truly appreciate what world of good Bruce has done to the song, if one knows the original.

Well said :)

Agreed!

Absolutely true. I never think of this song as a cover, although in reality it is. But for all the reasons stated, to me, it's Bruce's! Thanks for posting!!

I'm listening to 'Pressing On' by Bob Dylan. Yes, the '80s is my favourite Dylan era.

Makes No Sense At All by Husker Du

Is there any love for the Huskers to be found on the Lake?

• Like 1

Makes No Sense At All by Husker Du

Is there any love for the Huskers to be found on the Lake?

Like them whenever I hear them.

New DVD out today...

Here's one of the songs..

LOOOOOOOVE this band!!!!!