Peter

Which NON-Bruce song are you listening to right now?

JGB, 11/23/91 Bradley Center - Reuben and Cherise

• Like 1

for Easter - hard to comprehend that this is now nearly 50 years old, and how controversial the album and play were back then

• Like 3

Been following Beato the past year, his enthusiasm for breaking down one of my all time favorite songs here is great! 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 10:49 AM, JimCT said:

for Easter - hard to comprehend that this is now nearly 50 years old, and how controversial the album and play were back then

Am I that old? I still have that album. Damn! And I just visited the person who gave it to me as a present on Easter too.... 

Mom. 1970! 

get up and twirl! G-Dead, Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Hampton VA 3/27/88

Jerry and his Tiger :) 

• Like 1

used in the Billions soundtrack tonight - really well placed, IMO

• Like 2

f**k, 50 years old is this song - how many hours did I spend with this album back then? So good

• Like 3

Some voices of this era really stand out to me. This is one of those oft-overlooked: Greg Lake. That tone - so distinctive.

• Love Love Love! 1

G-Dead, 1 May 88, Frost Amphitheater, Stanford University, Palo Alto CA

Box of Rain to open ("Let Phil sing" chant :)), Knockin' on Heaven's door to close. Lovely sunny spring afternoon in Northern California. The Frost is a beautiful venue, modest tiers (maybe 8"-10"?) with wide grass swaths, so put your blanket down and enjoy. (The Dead performed 14 times there from 82-89. Read more :) ) Show started early (2p? 3p?), so we were on line early for the taping section, maybe 9am? Coffee, bagel, and Sunday Chronicle in hand, waiting patiently. One Deadhead near me started chatting, and pulled out this gem: "See that over there? (pointing thru the trees to a statue a couple of blocks away) That's the 2d largest collection of Rodin sculptures in the world, after the Musée Rodin in Paris. Would you hold my place while I go check it out?" Indeed, the Rodin Garden at Stanford is a sight to behold, and contemplate, and enjoy.

Fast forward a year or so and I'm diving off a boat in Kona, Hawaii with Jack's Dive Locker, the Na Pali Kai. The boat has many Dead decals all over (they taught Bill and Jerry to dive, and I made two dives with Jerry there later, in 1990 :)), so I'm telling the owner, Jeff, about going to the shows at the Frost, what a great venue it is, etc. He looks at me and says, "Yeah, that's where we had our graduation." He was on the Stanford swim team :D 

I had arranged the trip and scheduled a meeting in SF Monday. As a bonus, I stayed Monday night and went to Bruce at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View 5/2 :) Nice trip.

Link to Box - https://archive.org/details/gd88-05-01.sbd.jerugim.2206.sbefail.shnf/gd88-05-01d1t02.shn

Link to Knockin' - https://archive.org/details/gd88-05-01.sbd.jerugim.2206.sbefail.shnf/gd88-05-01d3t05.shn

Jerry and Tiger :)

• Like 1

Almost 50yrs, still powerful.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

One of the greatest songs ever written with one of the greatest guitar solos, it doesnt get much better than this.......

• Like 1