Greasy Lake Community

After this tour Ends

Just a random thought, after this tour ends, do you think any of the ‘set-list staples’ from the tour (i.e. ‘Death To My Hometown’ and ‘Shackled and Drawn’) will remain regulars for the next tour and any that follow? Much like ‘Waitin’ on a Sunny Day’ and ‘The Rising’ became regulars in tours that followed ‘The Rising’ tour itself.

Obviously the next tour will be about the new album and supporting the material from that release, but my understanding is that ‘Wrecking Ball’ as an album was generally received as a fairly strong album, right?

My guess is that ‘Shackled and Drawn’ could and should become a concert regular for Bruce. It’s performed so well when it’s done live and the song, IMO, is a real mood lifter too.

Outside of that, there’s all the chance that ‘We Take Care of Our Own’ and ‘Death to My Hometown’ could become regulars as well, but as we all know, Bruce can’t play every song all the time.

By the way, I left out ‘Land of Hope and Dreams’ and ‘American Land’ as they clearly have received their fair share of plays on tours past.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess?

i would really hope WTCOOO -i think that in another time, that could have been a BITUSA level hit

I love shackeled and drawn -i hope if Cindy is on the next tour, they keep doing that one

also - Jack of all trades ...to me i hear than in the same vein as the river and im so glad i got to hear it live

also when we next get a solo tour -

you got it

and

this depression

also remember how great WTCOOO was when he did it solo acoustic for President Obama

and also i would love to hear Swallowed up in an acoustic setting

I think that some of the WB songs could remain in the set lists for a loooong time as their subject matter fit in so well with Bruce's overall style of songwriting. Darkness is still the backbone of a lot of shows and I rate some of WB's songs as highly as anything on Darkness. The problem is, would the WB songs survive being 'stripped down' if he used just the ESB on future tours?

And before I get accused of heresy - I said 'some of WB's songs' as I don't think that both albums are equal.

i see WB as very much some future son of Darkness and as Tramps67 says Darkness is a backbone

-i mean what happened to the people on Darkness ?

-well here they are on WB -or maybe their kids

WB is a very relateblel album

I think there are three or four songs from Wrecking Ball which could still be staples of any future ESB tours.

We take care of our own is a modern day Born in the USA...a misunderstood gem of an anthem which was a revelation when played live in concert.

Death to my Hometown is an angry song of defiance which as has been said fits in well to Bruce's overall repertoire of material and is also sensational in concert as is Shackled and Drawn.

From a personal point of view I really hope Jack of all Trades becomes a staple of future shows as for me it is one of the greatest songs he has ever written and was the jewel in the crown of the Wrecking Ball album.

I would very much like if he kept Shackled and Drawn as well as Wrecking Ball. Wtcooo and DTMHT would also be nice regular additions. Having We are alive and LOHAD somewhere in there would be nice too. As well as the new songs I hope he throws some more Magic and Darkness songs in and of course keep the same and maybe add some songs in the encore.

I think LOHAD should not ever be left out, it's one of the most staples worthy in his whole catalogue. And the bigger the band, the greater it gets. Shackled and Drawn, with Cindy of course, should also remain. Love the preaching, it's great in concert! And I agree with those who want to see more songs from Magic. And yes, with the electric Nebraska that's coming- isn't it?- we'll get a lot of nice new versions of those gems!

I think regulars should be Wrecking Ball , Death to my Hometown and Shackled...the last 2 truly come alive in concert. I can imagine Death being a good one to open the encores with.

Id be happy to hear any of the others from WB thrown in sometimes but if we're talking staples of future shows the first 3 songs I named would do it for me.

I can see a lot of the WB songs staying around for as long as honest people feel a financial squeeze and for as long as there is an anger about the way it happened. The songs mentioned above and songs such as Rocky Ground could be around for quite a while yet as most economies are still at risk.

I think We Take Care has a chance to stay, and perhaps some of the others on a more limited basis, but I can't wait for many of the WB songs to be dropped. Although I think some of them work well live (shackled, easy money, surprisingly rocky ground) I think many of them have run their course and its time for a new focus/album and I would enjoy much more a revisiting of some of Bruce's other back catalogue on the next tour (Tunnel, Lucky Town) then hearing much of WB again.

All that being said, Death To My Hometown and We Are Alive need to be gone for good.

Death To My Hometown is not a bad song but it just sounds like the music is stuck on skip and in my opinion is lifeless live.

We Are Alive is great lyrically but is one of Bruce's most unimaginative songs musically. Just play ring of fire. Bruce is capable of much more then sampling and its dreadful to hear this.

I think LOHAD should not ever be left out, it's one of the most staples worthy in his whole catalogue. And the bigger the band, the greater it gets. Shackled and Drawn, with Cindy of course, should also remain. Love the preaching, it's great in concert! And I agree with those who want to see more songs from Magic. And yes, with the electric Nebraska that's coming- isn't it?- we'll get a lot of nice new versions of those gems!

ditto -or whatever ditto is in Swedish ;)

We Are Alive is great lyrically but is one of Bruce's most unimaginative songs musically. Just play ring of fire. Bruce is capable of much more then sampling and its dreadful to hear this.

Ha! How the hell had I never spotted that before?

The theme is very similar to Highwayman also, another JC connection.

Death To My Hometown is not a bad song but it just sounds like the music is stuck on skip and in my opinion is lifeless live.

I'm not keen on DTMH either, I don't care for the faux-Irish he has going on sometimes. I don't like American Land either.

As for We Are Alive, I agree that the sampling lets it down, and while the general sentiment of the song is uplifting, the buried-alive stuff really gives me the creeps and the horrors and ruins the whole thing for me.

I do think Wrecking Ball is a fantastic song that should be brought out often, as almost everyone can identify with its message in some context. We all get knocked down sometimes, young or old, and WB has a great message of defiance and resilience.

I also agree with MacBruce that "We Take Care Of Our Own is a modern day Born in the USA, a misunderstood gem of an anthem." I shan't tire of hearing that any time soon.

Ha! How the hell had I never spotted that before?

The theme is very similar to Highwayman also, another JC connection.

From what I remember Johnny Cash gets a credit in the WB album notes for that song.

ditto -or whatever ditto is in Swedish ;)

It's actually the same, minus one 's': dito!

It's great being a member here. That way you can read others opinions of how crap Bruce's songs are!

For what it's worth, i think Wrecking Ball will appear regularly in E Street shows for as long as the happen. Death To My Hometown and Shackled are going to hang around for the foreseeable as well.

We Are Alive is a stunning song. Lyrically one of his most powerful ever.

Still, every one is entitled to an opinion.....

It's great being a member here. That way you can read others opinions of how crap Bruce's songs are!

In the last few months I started to think about which my favorite studio albums were and why, something which I did not do prior to posting here. I remember watching Cop Land in the late 90s and completely identifying with the protagonist - not at all thinking, yes I used to be crazy about Drive All Night, but I don't listen to the album version anymore, yet I still like to hear it live etc. etc. - just feeling that the inclusion of that song and Stolen Car reinforced the fact it was a special movie for me personally.

But anyway, Wrecking Ball would come in at # 7, and form a trilogy of sorts with Devils and Dust and WoAD, strangely enough with this album my taste and that of most fans seem to converge. It is an uneven record in my view, as are also the other two I mentioned to some degree, but there are several spectacular tracks which I would love to see remain in rotation for live sets:

We take care of our own - I prefer the acoustic version live, but still a very nice song.

Shackled and Drawn - I love the album version, a great highlight of WB and also very exciting live.

Jack of All Trades - this reminds me a little of the Tom Joad sound, another wonderful song.

Death to My Hometown - this songs works surprisingly well, I quickly grew to like it.

This Depression - another favorite of mine, a very special song both musically and poetically which in its depiction of existential weariness and vulnerability reminds me of such songs as My Beautiful Reward, Youngstown or Queen of the Supermarket.

You've Got It - underneath a seemingly lascivious approach, it makes the case for that thing which makes every one a unique person whose potential no one can predict or limit. Great stuff.

Rocky Ground - I think it's a vital, essential masterpiece with very strong spiritual overtones, much like Leah or Life Itself, and the standout track of the record. I understand Bruce's wish to play it sparingly, but it's one of those I would definitely consider among the cornerstones of an ideal Bruce show.

Land of Hope and Dreams - I was initially skeptical of its inclusion on the new album, but this studio version completely changed my mind about a song I was never too excited about, despite the glorious lyrics. I now really love it, both on the record and in concert.

Archived