Greasy Lake Community

Deeply flawed individual

Hitcher

I don't think Bruce is an angel. As I've said, I wouldn't want him to be perfect. But a book that states he once hit a girlfriend does not make it true. But even if it is, one incident does not make him a woman beater.

True for sure and True perhaps.

My point wasn't to suggest that Bruce is a physically abusive guy (I don't know if he is, and I suspect he probably isn't). I was just responding to your earlier statement;

"And there is NOTHING anywhere indicating that Bruce beats or ever beat a woman or that he likes little girls."

Yeah, I knew what you meant. :)

And to be clear, I do not condone men hitting women. I don't condone women hitting men either. But until I know all the details on how Bruce "hit" his girlfriend, I am assuming it didn't happen.

And andy99...that's how I think of how Bruce uses "little girl" also.

I don't think anyone said he was a woman beater in the sense that he does it habitually. He was physically abusive to Goldsmith, there were 20,000 witnesses, and we have the book that Springsteen gave an endorsement to, that also states he hit a partner, so there are two instances of physical abuse to women there. I don't believe that makes him a serial offender, I think it does mean that he is flawed (and had issues over anger and self control) and that is what we were discussing.

I think we should be able to discuss these things without being told we are saying things we are not. It's just pointless posting if you end up having to explain what you didn't say half the time.

* yeah, barn yard animals. That's what I never said he liked.

I don't get the I'm On Fire "little girl" issues....the term "little girl" has been used in more of his songs and in other people's songs (little girl I wanna marry you sound familiar??). It's a term that was used back then. A bit of a put-down to women is the worst I can level at the term. Back when probably most men had that attitude that they were the "daddy" who looked after their "little girl" i.e. girlfriend or wife. How I've always interpreted it.

Exactly my point of view here.

There's so much going on with Bruces lyrics, that everyone is trying to interpret the shit out of them...

But as soon as the term "little girl" pops up they try to take it literal.

I don't get it.

Yeah, I mean heaven forbid a writer simply use a turn of phrase. Good grief people!

For the record Bruce can refer to me as "little girl" any time he likes.

Everything about I'm on Fire fits like a glove, the lyrics, the music, the vocals and the video.

Good job we're not discussing Gary Pucket. Singing 'Young Girl' would have him locked up for life.

On the contrary, that's a rather moral tale about a young man who has just discovered that his girlfriend is under age. She has led him to believe that she is older and he is regretfully telling her that their relationship has to end. :)

By heck, that takes me back. That song was on the go when I was going out with my (first) husband - 5 years between us.

Waiting to turn 16 was 'interesting' to say the least. I reckon that's when I learned to be patient.

I reckon that's when he started to go bald.

Yeah, I mean heaven forbid a writer simply use a turn of phrase. Good grief people!

For the record Bruce can refer to me as "little girl" any time he likes.

Everything about I'm on Fire fits like a glove, the lyrics, the music, the vocals and the video.

Agree with everything but the last! I just don't feel that video matches the emotions of the song at all. I'd go so far as to call it an uninspired, generic, and lazy. It's too bad Bruce hadn't concocted that 1985 intro story by the time they made the video because THAT would have fit the bill!

I agree about the vid though. I'm a big John Sayles fan, but seriously, that is one clunky, step by step video. The shots of him in his bed and driving about are good though.

I always got the feeling that the video was made in a bid to try to play down the less savoury aspect of the lyric and tone.

I'm sure I remember reading that Bruce was always a bit concerned by it.

I never really had an issue with Dancing or Glory Days. Both work in their own ways. I just never really liked the "moral of the story" ending to I'm On Fire.

Well something like that above is always going to look naff. He was a 34 year old trying to work out how to appeal to teens. The finished vid is fine for what it is. At the end if the day, they're promotional material, extended adverts. Not to say that some didn't jump at the chance to try to make them part of their art, and a few succeeded. But their main reason for existing was and is to get people to buy.

He can refer to you as little girl?

And you say I reveal too much information. Sheesh.

I never said that at all actually. I don't think you reveal too much even when I vehemently disagree with you.
That's a conversation between Hero and me. It refers to what he wrote about your post and then also to a joke between us from a thread yesterday where I said I wanted to dress like Welby. H posted that I had revealed too much information.

What about that bit in Wreck on the Highway where he climbs in bed with his 'baby' after witnessing a fatal crash? Is that creepy Paedophile stuff too? Doesn't he actually marry a 'little girl' in Stolen Car? And what about that 'little girl' in Two Hearts? What was she crying for? Did creepy Bruce offer her some sweeties? And that 'little girl' on the strand in The Price You Pay with the baby in her hands? was it her baby? Was she a 'little girl' if she was able to conceive? There's also a 'little girl' in I Wanna Marry You who is also a single parent.. Was Bruce the 'Daddy'? And didn't he give a 'little girl' away to Gary US Bonds? Grooming for sex I call it!

C'mon guys it's standard cliched rock n roll writing and nothing else. You are reading too much into it. Deeply Flawed Individual? No more than you or I. Deeply flawed use of the English language? Yep!

I think you guys are misssing the most important lines that make it creepy. Baby, daddy, little girl, darlin.....none of that is creepy unto itself.

Hey little girl is your daddy home

Did he go away and leave you all alone

I got a bad desire

Ohhhh I'm on fire.

See...now all you need is Chris Hansen and some TV cameras.

I think you guys are misssing the most important lines that make it creepy. Baby, daddy, little girl, darlin.....none of that is creepy unto itself.

I got a bad desire

Ohhhh I'm on fire.

Even with just those words, I still never thought of it the way you are. I always looked at it as someone that has a desire for someone that he can't have because she is with someone else.

I got a bad desire

Ohhhh I'm on fire.

Yawn. :lol:

Jeezzz you try your best to make people bite don't you. :lol:

Archived