Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

This thread is so full of bullshit. I sincerely hope that whatever comes next causes some of these people to decide that it's time to get off the train, because this is ridiculous.

You really do hate people having their own opinions, don't you?

The ignore feature is right there for you, pal. Use it.

Let's all try to calm down here.

Bottom line, here's what we know for absolute certain:

• Multiple websites indicating a new "single" release for November 25th.
  • Bruce recently released (through spotify and youtube) a studio recording of "Dream Baby Dream"

And here are the strongest rumors that have been floating around:

• Bruce has an album coming out in January
    (Somewhat supported by his studio time in Australia, and recent interviews with Jake. Somewhat disproved by SVZ comments)
  • Bruce is going to announce a new tour/album in late November

And here is the rest of whatever is floating around:

• The album might be a cover album
  • The album might be guitar heavy, featuring Tom Morello
  • The album might just be an EP
  • The album might be a tour-highlights collection
  • The album might be recorded entirely with flutes

So I mean, we have surprisingly very little concrete knowledge so far to get worked up about. You know? All I know is that Bruce has yet to disappoint me with an album as a whole, so I'm not going to freak out whether or not High Hopes is in fact a single from his next album-to-be. And even if I had been disappointed, and I didn't like the song... Who cares? Guys, it's a new Bruce album.

Devils + Dust? Contract filler? Really?

Without a shadow of doubt.

Yeah, a somber, largely acoustic album full of songs about the wired and the weird

and the lonely and the dead and Jesus himself, with little hope of big sales or even an obvious single. Great idea for a contract filler. I bet Columbia were jizzing by the bucket load when that one got handed in. Devils and Dust is art by an artist. Argue that it's not his finest, fair enough, but that's a phenomenal set of songs on there.

This thread is so full of bullshit. I sincerely hope that whatever comes next causes some of these people to decide that it's time to get off the train, because this is ridiculous.

You really do hate people having their own opinions, don't you?

The ignore feature is right there for you, pal. Use it.

The time if this thread is shit. Couldn't give a fuck if people get off the train, but fucks sake, why the fuck are people so spiteful?

Bruce has written and released at least 6 genuinely great masterpieces. I'd say 3 of his post reunion albums are brilliant. The song writing is immense. That's a lot more than most. Loads of high calibre songwriters release cover albums. Dylan, Costello, Bowie, Lennon and Cave spring to mind. I wasn't at the front of the queue for any if their cover albums. I prefer original material, but I didn't start stamping my feet and spitting my dummy when they put those albums out, and at no time did I think they'd "run dry" but you know what? If they had, fair play. Writing is a creative act, creativity is not something that you can simply turn on at will. Certainly not if you're wanting to put out high quality stuff.

Personally, I'd live a new set of Bruce songs, with the surviving E Streeters all over it but I can't demand that. I can't demand that Bruce's creativity suit fit in with my wants and needs, and I certainly won't start slagging him off for working at his own pace. He's fucking 64 for christ's sake, and his work rate is still high. Try being a Leonard Cohen fan, his albums come round less frequently than I've ages.

If Bruce puts a covers album out, fine. He'll put something original out at some point. When he feels it's right. Don't buy this one if you's don't fancy it.

Let's all try to calm down here.

Bottom line, here's what we know for absolute certain:

• Multiple websites indicating a new "single" release for November 25th.
  • Bruce recently released (through spotify and youtube) a studio recording of "Dream Baby Dream"

And here are the strongest rumors that have been floating around:

• Bruce has an album coming out in January

(Somewhat supported by his studio time in Australia, and recent interviews with Jake. Somewhat disproved by SVZ comments)

• Bruce is going to announce a new tour/album in late November

And here is the rest of whatever is floating around:

• The album might be a cover album
  • The album might be guitar heavy, featuring Tom Morello
  • The album might just be an EP
  • The album might be a tour-highlights collection
  • The album might be recorded entirely with flutes

So I mean, we have surprisingly very little concrete knowledge so far to get worked up about. You know? All I know is that Bruce has yet to disappoint me with an album as a whole, so I'm not going to freak out whether or not High Hopes is in fact a single from his next album-to-be. And even if I had been disappointed, and I didn't like the song... Who cares? Guys, it's a new Bruce album.

Solid summary.

Has anyone stopped to listen to HH since this news? I think the lyrics are pretty relevant. I think Bruce has a great grasp over his catalogue, and he knows what he wants to say, and how to say it. I think he's also a perfectionist, and I think he wants to release the best versions of all his work. DBD, for example and now this.

I stopped listening to that pitiful garbage in 1995

Has anyone stopped to listen to HH since this news? I think the lyrics are pretty relevant. I think Bruce has a great grasp over his catalogue, and he knows what he wants to say, and how to say it. I think he's also a perfectionist, and I think he wants to release the best versions of all his work. DBD, for example and now this.

I stopped listening to that pitiful garbage in 1995
I never really listened to it till quite recently. It's quite good. I'm not sure I desperately need a new version, but I'd guess it'll be superior to the first E Street crack at it, which was recorded by a roomful of very unhappy looking hostages and held by a man with a season ticket to the funny farm judging from the accompanying hostage video.

I'm also not sure I need a new version of The Ghost of Tom Joad, which seems to have been rerecidmrded from what I've read, a bit too David Coverdale for my liking, but I'll choose to buy or not to buy when I know what's on offer. It looks like some kind of covers/odds and sods album with a social conscience, judging by what is rumoured to be on it. Good idea, hopefully the recordings are good too. No problem if he does something like this while he's working up to a new album.

Some of you people are clueless. What would be the point of releasing a EP at this stage? The man has enough material for several albums, but he is trying something new he hasn't done before this time around...

Like he would tour in places like Australia and South-Africa as one-offs with out trying to sell an album? You're kidding, right?

Most of you will be eating your hat in a couple of days.

Bruce has written and released at least 6 genuinely great masterpieces. I'd say 3 of his post reunion albums are brilliant. The song writing is immense. That's a lot more than most. Loads of high calibre songwriters release cover albums. Dylan, Costello, Bowie, Lennon and Cave spring to mind. I wasn't at the front of the queue for any if their cover albums. I prefer original material, but I didn't start stamping my feet and spitting my dummy when they put those albums out, and at no time did I think they'd "run dry" but you know what? If they had, fair play. Writing is a creative act, creativity is not something that you can simply turn on at will. Certainly not if you're wanting to put out high quality stuff.

Personally, I'd live a new set of Bruce songs, with the surviving E Streeters all over it but I can't demand that. I can't demand that Bruce's creativity suit fit in with my wants and needs, and I certainly won't start slagging him off for working at his own pace. He's fucking 64 for christ's sake, and his work rate is still high. Try being a Leonard Cohen fan, his albums come round less frequently than I've ages.

If Bruce puts a covers album out, fine. He'll put something original out at some point. When he feels it's right. Don't buy this one if you's don't fancy it.

Well, we can do better than repeating the old 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' line, I guess. And personally, I don't buy the 'he's fucking 64, we should be grateful, etc.' mantra. Especially because he's 64, and he has the rare privilege of being allowed to release whatever he might like, what he chooses to release at this point of his career really matters (to me, at least).

I think it all depends on what one aspects from Bruce. Some people (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) seem to worship Bruce as a performing god, and are therefore longing for a new release whatever it may feature. Why? Because that most likely means a new tour, a new chance to see Bruce live, make the pit (again and again), meet or even touch him. And that's perfectly fine, of course. It’s only rock’n’roll after all, one could say.

But as far as I'm concerned, my devotion for Bruce is not that unconditional. It comes with a little price, which is keeping artistic relevance as a songwriter, aka "say something of your own, or different at least". I'm perfectly fine with him releasing covers (as for the Seeger Sessions project) for the rest of his career, but releasing a previously released track as a leading single wouldn’t meet my standards of expectation (even if the chosen song were a masterpiece like Chimes of Freedom (in the 50th anniversary of Kennedy assassination) I guess.

Let’s be honest, he's a rock'n'roll encyclopaedia, and he adores show it onstage night after night. There’s a universe of different things he could record if he aimed at a cover album: rehashing the 19 words Dream Baby Dream or High Hopes is simply emptying the vaults artistically speaking, IMHO.

Does High Hopes mean a great deal to Bruce? I guess so. It's the only non-traditional-cover he virtually put on a studio release of his own, and he basically wrote half of an album (the Rising) out of those 'give me strength, hope, love etc.' lyrics. But we all remember the Dancing in the Dark episode, and Landau's emphasis on the leading single as a “state of the artist” statement. Well, I think Jon was right on the spot. Now, if High Hopes were to be the leading single of a new album, there would not be anything of that, or any statement we haven't heard to death for the past ten years. We'd have a nice track to listen (the 2013 live version is great indeed), and a new tour to look forward, but it wouldn't be much different from Katy Perry's Roar, or One Direction's Best Song Ever, in artistic terms. Maybe this would allow some of us to bring their kids onstage for yet another Sunny Day, but for me, it would barely be enough.

I don't care what Bruce releases - I'll buy it & make my own mind up just as well all should do. Like it, don't like it, it's all personal preference & there is no right & wrong.

I personally loved High Hopes at the Oz shows in March & wouldn't mind one bit if there was an official release of it. It went off live & I hope we get it again next February.

As for Tom Morello, like many I was disappointed when I heard Steve wasn't coming to Australia last March & sceptical about how Tom would go. All that was forgotten after that first Brisbane show & I even felt a little guilty for not really missing Steve as much as I thought I would. Come next February we get the best of both worlds with both Steve & Tom playing these shores. I've seen the ESB with Steve & I've seen them with Tom, now I get to see the ESB with them both & I like many of my Aussie Bruce buds can't wait. To top it all off I met Tom & he was a really nice guy (despite dissing our Aussie bacon!!). Easy going, friendly & very approachable.

Bring on a new release whatever it may be & bring on February!!!!!!

Some of you people are clueless. What would be the point of releasing a EP at this stage? The man has enough material for several albums, but he is trying something new he hasn't done before this time around...

Like he would tour in places like Australia and South-Africa as one-offs with out trying to sell an album? You're kidding, right?

You seem nice.

I don't care what Bruce releases - I'll buy it & make my own mind up just as well all should do. Like it, don't like it, it's all personal preference & there is no right & wrong.

I personally loved High Hopes at the Oz shows in March & wouldn't mind one bit if there was an official release of it. It went off live & I hope we get it again next February.

As for Tom Morello, like many I was disappointed when I heard Steve wasn't coming to Australia last March & sceptical about how Tom would go. All that was forgotten after that first Brisbane show & I even felt a little guilty for not really missing Steve as much as I thought I would. Come next February we get the best of both worlds with both Steve & Tom playing these shores. I've seen the ESB with Steve & I've seen them with Tom, now I get to see the ESB with them both & I like many of my Aussie Bruce buds can't wait. To top it all off I met Tom & he was a really nice guy (despite dissing our Aussie bacon!!). Easy going, friendly & very approachable.

Bring on a new release whatever it may be & bring on February!!!!!!

If I may ask, how do you know Steve and Tom will both be part of the touring band in Feb? Has this been confirmed? I ask because that would mean, hopefully, that we will also get Nils, Steve and Tom in SA. Which would pretty much blow my little mind...!

Well, we can do better than repeating the old 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' line, I guess. And personally, I don't buy the 'he's fucking 64, we should be grateful, etc.' mantra. Especially because he's 64, and he has the rare privilege of being allowed to release whatever he might like, what he chooses to release at this point of his career really matters (to me, at least).

I think it all depends on what one aspects from Bruce. Some people (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) seems to worship Bruce as a performing god, and are therefore longing for a new releases whatever it may feature. Why? Because that most likely means a new tour, a new chance to see Bruce live, make the pit (again and again), meet or even touch him. And that's perfectly fine, of course. Its only rocknroll after all, one could say.

But as far as I'm concerned, my devotion for Bruce is not that unconditional. It comes with a little price, which is keeping artistic relevance as a songwriter, aka "say something of your own, or different at least". I'm perfectly fine with him releasing covers (as for the Seeger Sessions project) for the rest of his career, but releasing a previously released track as a leading single wouldnt meet my standards of expectation (even if the chosen song were a masterpiece like Chimes of Freedom (in the 50th anniversary of Kennedy assassination) I guess.

Lets be honest, he's a rock'n'roll encyclopaedia, and he adores show it onstage night after night. Theres a universe of different things he could record if he aimed at a cover album: rehashing the 19 words Dream Baby Dream or High Hopes is simply emptying the vaults artistically speaking, IMHO.

Does High Hopes mean a great deal to Bruce? I guess so. It's the only non-traditional-cover he virtually put on a studio release of his own, and he basically wrote half of an album (the Rising) out of those 'give me strength, hope, love etc.' lyrics. But we all remember the Dancing in the Dark episode, and Landau's emphasis on the leading single as a state of the artist statement. Well, I think Jon was right on the spot. Now, if High Hopes were to be the leading single of a new album, there would not be anything of that, or any statement we haven't heard to death for the past ten years. We'd have a nice track to listen (the 2013 live version is great indeed), and a new tour to look forward, but it wouldn't be much different from Katy Perry's Roar, or One Direction's Best Song Ever, in artistic terms. Maybe this would allow some of us to bring their kids onstage for yet another Sunny Day, but for me, it is barely enough.

Yeah Frank, but you're the one saying that your love is conditional. All I'm saying is, don't buy it. My love is also conditional, and if I think it's a dog, I'll avioid, at least till its in the bargain bin. I'm not a completeist, so I feel no OCD, tendencies bagging at me to part with 15 quid.

My point is that he's just come off a tour, he released a great album a year and a half ago. Why do we expect another immediately? I don't. I think that the rumours of a new album have fed us with unreal expectations. For him to remain relevant, he needs time to write, he's never really done that on tour, (yes, he's written, but not full albums) so if there were to be a new album it would have to be either pre WB songs or WB cast offs anyway. My way if looking at this is, he and the guys have very little time left to truly blast as a band, sitting around waiting for another year or more is too much if a chance. Maybe even one or two of them have said they need to start to wind down, see their wives, kids, grand kids a bit more. Might it be possible that he's got his eye on the clock as far as the band goes, and wants to give it one more proper go?

Now if we hadnt heard from him for four years, as used to be the case when he was young, but apparently with a still functioning well, and he put out a covers album, I'd say yup, our guy is struggling, but I'd still not lambast him, because if we understand anything about creativity, we understand that it is not a simple case of switching it on when you want to. And we also know that the person who suffers most when the "well is dry" is the artist. I'd give enough of a fuck about this artist to not start complaining because a natural process for him is taking its time.

As it is, he put a new album out less than two years ago, so I'm not worried.

The tension in this thread is do much fun, the whatever Bruce does is the best brigade really are having to dig deep to defend High Hopes . I await the first post of one which claims it's a masterpiece without listening to it.

Should I start a thread about Bruce's forthcoming retirement????? The well is dry, the ink in his Parker pen has ran out, his guitar playing is at an all time low and he seems more concerned with being a hill billy than a rocker.

I'd live to see you start that thread Sean. I'd love it more if you'd present evidence to back what you're saying up. And before you retreat into, "yeah, I'd expect that Fri a Bruce is best guy" remember that I'm very critical of Bruce, I just don't happen to think we should expect an album of new songs every one and a half years as if it's a right. Even if he had form for that, which he doesn't, why the fuck would that make it a given?

You seem nice.

I have my moments...

Just silly that the same folks that have been denying the fact that new album is on the rise now start talking about a smaller form of release. Seems like they need to hold a live copy in their hands before they believe it. Not really sure why. Perhaps they don't want a new album. Or the cover and/or previously released material is the problem.

I think it all depends on what one aspects from Bruce. Some people (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) seems to worship Bruce as a performing god, and are therefore longing for a new releases whatever it may feature. Why? Because that most likely means a new tour, a new chance to see Bruce live, make the pit (again and again), meet or even touch him. And that's perfectly fine, of course. Its only rocknroll after all, one could say.

But as far as I'm concerned, my devotion for Bruce is not that unconditional. It comes with a little price, which is keeping artistic relevance as a songwriter, aka "say something of your own, or different at least". I'm perfectly fine with him releasing covers (as for the Seeger Sessions project) for the rest of his career, but releasing a previously released track as a leading single wouldnt meet my standards of expectation (even if the chosen song were a masterpiece like Chimes of Freedom (in the 50th anniversary of Kennedy assassination) I guess.

Lets be honest, he's a rock'n'roll encyclopaedia, and he adores show it onstage night after night. Theres a universe of different things he could record if he aimed at a cover album: rehashing the 19 words Dream Baby Dream or High Hopes is simply emptying the vaults artistically speaking, IMHO.

Does High Hopes mean a great deal to Bruce? I guess so. It's the only non-traditional-cover he virtually put on a studio release of his own, and he basically wrote half of an album (the Rising) out of those 'give me strength, hope, love etc.' lyrics. But we all remember the Dancing in the Dark episode, and Landau's emphasis on the leading single as a state of the artist statement. Well, I think Jon was right on the spot. Now, if High Hopes were to be the leading single of a new album, there would not be anything of that, or any statement we haven't heard to death for the past ten years. We'd have a nice track to listen (the 2013 live version is great indeed), and a new tour to look forward, but it wouldn't be much different from Katy Perry's Roar, or One Direction's Best Song Ever, in artistic terms. Maybe this would allow some of us to bring their kids onstage for yet another Sunny Day, but for me, it is barely enough.

Yeah Frank, but you're the one saying that your love is conditional. All I'm saying is, don't buy it. My love is also conditional, and if I think it's a dog, I'll avioid, at least till its in the bargain bin. I'm not a completeist, so I feel no OCD, tendencies bagging at me to part with 15 quid.

My point is that he's just come off a tour, he released a great album a year and a half ago. Why do we expect another immediately? I don't. I think that the rumours of a new album have fed us with unreal expectations. For him to remain relevant, he needs time to write, he's never really done that on tour, (yes, he's written, but not full albums) so if there were to be a new album it would have to be either pre WB songs or WB cast offs anyway. My way if looking at this is, he and the guys have very little time left to truly blast as a band, sitting around waiting for another year or more is too much if a chance. Maybe even one or two of them have said they need to start to wind down, see their wives, kids, grand kids a bit more. Might it be possible that he's got his eye on the clock as far as the band goes, and wants to give it one more proper go?

Now if we hadnt heard from him for four years, as used to be the case when he was young, but apparently with a still functioning well, and he put out a covers album, I'd say yup, our guy is struggling, but I'd still not lambast him, because if we understand anything about creativity, we understand that it is not a simple case of switching it on when you want to. And we also know that the person who suffers most when the "well is dry" is the artist. I'd give enough of a fuck about this artist to not start complaining because a natural process for him is taking its time.

As it is, he put a new album out less than two years ago, so I'm not worried.

There's no need to get quite so emotional over this.

I'm confident that nobody expects a new album of new material every 1/2 years as a 'right', some posters have expressed valid converns over a potential covers album (I dont think it will be a covers album btw) as it's a sign that the well is running dry. Bruce had to release x number of albums in x number of years when he signed his last contract with Sony. Devils & Dust is an example of a release that was put out to satisfy this contractual arrangement imo - an album of half baked songs and GOTJ outtakes (and i'm one of the few people who rate The Ghost of Tom Joad album highly). Heck, even one song - Matamoras Banks was a carbon copy of one of the songs from TGOTJ.

I'm hoping that we will have a new album and a new album of the quality of Wrecking Ball. Rushing out an album along the lines of D&D or Working on a Dream would be a mistake imo.

And unless High Hopes is reworked completely - the signs aren't good.

Archived