Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

Bruce has written and released at least 6 genuinely great masterpieces. I'd say 3 of his post reunion albums are brilliant. The song writing is immense. That's a lot more than most. Loads of high calibre songwriters release cover albums. Dylan, Costello, Bowie, Lennon and Cave spring to mind. I wasn't at the front of the queue for any if their cover albums. I prefer original material, but I didn't start stamping my feet and spitting my dummy when they put those albums out, and at no time did I think they'd "run dry" but you know what? If they had, fair play. Writing is a creative act, creativity is not something that you can simply turn on at will. Certainly not if you're wanting to put out high quality stuff.

Personally, I'd live a new set of Bruce songs, with the surviving E Streeters all over it but I can't demand that. I can't demand that Bruce's creativity suit fit in with my wants and needs, and I certainly won't start slagging him off for working at his own pace. He's fucking 64 for christ's sake, and his work rate is still high. Try being a Leonard Cohen fan, his albums come round less frequently than I've ages.

If Bruce puts a covers album out, fine. He'll put something original out at some point. When he feels it's right. Don't buy this one if you's don't fancy it.

Well, we can do better than repeating the old 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' line, I guess. And personally, I don't buy the 'he's fucking 64, we should be grateful, etc.' mantra. Especially because he's 64, and he has the rare privilege of being allowed to release whatever he might like, what he chooses to release at this point of his career really matters (to me, at least).

I think it all depends on what one aspects from Bruce. Some people (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) seems to worship Bruce as a performing god, and are therefore longing for a new releases whatever it may feature. Why? Because that most likely means a new tour, a new chance to see Bruce live, make the pit (again and again), meet or even touch him. And that's perfectly fine, of course. Its only rocknroll after all, one could say.

But as far as I'm concerned, my devotion for Bruce is not that unconditional. It comes with a little price, which is keeping artistic relevance as a songwriter, aka "say something of your own, or different at least". I'm perfectly fine with him releasing covers (as for the Seeger Sessions project) for the rest of his career, but releasing a previously released track as a leading single wouldnt meet my standards of expectation (even if the chosen song were a masterpiece like Chimes of Freedom (in the 50th anniversary of Kennedy assassination) I guess.

Lets be honest, he's a rock'n'roll encyclopaedia, and he adores show it onstage night after night. Theres a universe of different things he could record if he aimed at a cover album: rehashing the 19 words Dream Baby Dream or High Hopes is simply emptying the vaults artistically speaking, IMHO.

Does High Hopes mean a great deal to Bruce? I guess so. It's the only non-traditional-cover he virtually put on a studio release of his own, and he basically wrote half of an album (the Rising) out of those 'give me strength, hope, love etc.' lyrics. But we all remember the Dancing in the Dark episode, and Landau's emphasis on the leading single as a state of the artist statement. Well, I think Jon was right on the spot. Now, if High Hopes were to be the leading single of a new album, there would not be anything of that, or any statement we haven't heard to death for the past ten years. We'd have a nice track to listen (the 2013 live version is great indeed), and a new tour to look forward, but it wouldn't be much different from Katy Perry's Roar, or One Direction's Best Song Ever, in artistic terms. Maybe this would allow some of us to bring their kids onstage for yet another Sunny Day, but for me, it is barely enough.

Yeah Frank, but you're the one saying that your love is conditional. All I'm saying is, don't buy it. My love is also conditional, and if I think it's a dog, I'll avioid, at least till its in the bargain bin. I'm not a completeist, so I feel no OCD, tendencies bagging at me to part with 15 quid.

My point is that he's just come off a tour, he released a great album a year and a half ago. Why do we expect another immediately? I don't. I think that the rumours of a new album have fed us with unreal expectations. For him to remain relevant, he needs time to write, he's never really done that on tour, (yes, he's written, but not full albums) so if there were to be a new album it would have to be either pre WB songs or WB cast offs anyway. My way if looking at this is, he and the guys have very little time left to truly blast as a band, sitting around waiting for another year or more is too much if a chance. Maybe even one or two of them have said they need to start to wind down, see their wives, kids, grand kids a bit more. Might it be possible that he's got his eye on the clock as far as the band goes, and wants to give it one more proper go?

Now if we hadnt heard from him for four years, as used to be the case when he was young, but apparently with a still functioning well, and he put out a covers album, I'd say yup, our guy is struggling, but I'd still not lambast him, because if we understand anything about creativity, we understand that it is not a simple case of switching it on when you want to. And we also know that the person who suffers most when the "well is dry" is the artist. I'd give enough of a fuck about this artist to not start complaining because a natural process for him is taking its time.

As it is, he put a new album out less than two years ago, so I'm not worried.

Well, I can see your point, and I agree with most of your reply, but it wasn't me who brought about the "not buy" issue. As far as I'm concerned I would pre-order every new item as soon as it is made available, regardless of its content. My point through the whole thread has been about Bruce's legacy as a songwriter and an artist. And personally, I care far more to his legacy in ten-fifteen years, than the chance of seeing him live again as soon (and as much) as possible.

You say time is running out. It may well be the case, but given his status as a legendary live act, he doesn't really need a new album if he wants to go on touring.

Good grief- don't read the forum for a few days and then read all this!

There's a HELL of a lot of very strong words about the fact some site has put up something about High Hopes being released. It really baffles me that so many people here are desperate to say his best work is behind him- almost clamoring to say 'I was there in 1978 and it was BETTER BETTER BETTER. For me, I wasn't there, I wasn't born. All I've got is the music from that period, and for my money, I genuinely prefer his newer work. Coming on here and constantly reading about how he's lost it, or how everything was better in the past really confuses me.

Looking back on the past is fine- but not at the expense of the present. From my perspective, he's a fantastic artist NOW. Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in going to see him play.

High Hopes is not my favourite song of his, far from it, (in the same way that Swallowed Up wasn't) but I absolutely know that whatever he's planning will be interesting and challenging. And, if by any small chance, it really isn't, let's discuss it then. If he releases a bloated, ego-centric pile of lounge-bar crap, then let's discuss it. If it happens.

He's an exciting, interesting, modern artist. If there's a cover version on his new album- great. Let's hear it, see what he's done with it, see how it fits in with the rest of the album.

I genuinely think lots of people come to this forum to say "I was there in the past and now I've lost that feeling for his music I want to make others lose it too."

It will alll come out in the wash as my dear mam used to say. We.ll find out soon enough, whether theres anything or nothing. Stop Fretting. Thanks for making me laugh when I got home from a weekend of nights and just catching up. -_-

There's a HELL of a lot of very strong words about the fact some site has put up something about High Hopes being released. It really baffles me that so many people here are desperate to say his best work is behind him- almost clamoring to say 'I was there in 1978 and it was BETTER BETTER BETTER. For me, I wasn't there, I wasn't born. All I've got is the music from that period, and for my money, I genuinely prefer his newer work. Coming on here and constantly reading about how he's lost it, or how everything was better in the past really confuses me.

Looking back on the past is fine- but not at the expense of the present. From my perspective, he's a fantastic artist NOW. Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in going to see him play.

High Hopes is not my favourite song of his, far from it, (in the same way that Swallowed Up wasn't) but I absolutely know that whatever he's planning will be interesting and challenging. And, if by any small chance, it really isn't, let's discuss it then. If he releases a bloated, ego-centric pile of lounge-bar crap, then let's discuss it. If it happens.

He's an exciting, interesting, modern artist. If there's a cover version on his new album- great. Let's hear it, see what he's done with it, see how it fits in with the rest of the album.

I genuinely think lots of people come to this forum to say "I was there in the past and now I've lost that feeling for his music I want to make others lose it too."

It's rather sad some people click on reply and express their stereotyped opinons about what might have been discussed without taking the time of reading any of it.

Pretty sad.

It's rather sad some people click on reply and express their stereotyped opinons about what might have been discussed without taking the time of reading any of it.

Pretty sad.

Wrong. I read through every single post on this thread. In what way are my opinions stereotyped? In the way I think lots of posters on the forum seem to wish it was 1978 again all the time? I think that's a fair comment.

This thread is so full of bullshit. I sincerely hope that whatever comes next causes some of these people to decide that it's time to get off the train, because this is ridiculous.

You really do hate people having their own opinions, don't you?

The ignore feature is right there for you, pal. Use it.

Right neighborly of you.

In the way I think lots of posters on the forum seem to wish it was 1978 again all the time? I think that's a fair comment.

I'd love it to be 1978 again. :unsure: (Nothing to do with Bruce Springsteen in particular.)

Pretty sad.

Wrong. I read through every single post on this thread. In what way are my opinions stereotyped? In the way I think lots of posters on the forum seem to wish it was 1978 again all the time? I think that's a fair comment.

The discussion concerns Bruce right now. No one is longing for the past. This is among the most "right now" discussions I've ever seen around here. It's too easy to jump in and dismiss 12 pages of argumented discussion with the classic Miami MArk 1978 stereotype. Some people here are claiming they want, or they prefer, a Springsteen relevant in 2013, instead of a rehash of old covers. That's the opposite of longing for the past.

Pretty sad.

The discussion concerns Bruce right now. No one is longing for the past. This is among the most "right now" discussion I've ever seen around here. It's too easy to jump in and dismiss 12 pages of argumented discussion with the classic Miami MArk 1978 stereotype. Some people here are claiming they want, or they prefer, a Springsteen relevant in 2013, instead of a rehash of old covers. That's the opposite of longing for the past.

People are writing him off though and saying he's 'lost it' due to the (possible) release of one cover version! It's totally odd. It's fits in with the general desperate forum search for any reason to say he's not as good as he was in the past. We haven't even heard the cover version yet!

Pretty sad.

The discussion concerns Bruce right now. No one is longing for the past. This is among the most "right now" discussion I've ever seen around here. It's too easy to jump in and dismiss 12 pages of argumented discussion with the classic Miami MArk 1978 stereotype. Some people here are claiming they want, or they prefer, a Springsteen relevant in 2013, instead of a rehash of old covers. That's the opposite of longing for the past.

People are writing him off though and saying he's 'lost it' due to the (possible) release of one cover version! It's totally odd. It's fits in with the general desperate forum search for any reason to say he's not as good as he was in the past. We haven't even heard the cover version yet!

You can discuss and make your point if you want. But remember that the "past" alluded could well be 2012. If you jump to the 1978 conclusion, you're just repeating annoying stereotypes. And it's quite a shame, given that the discussion so far has been extremely polite.

Let's stop it here.

The tension in this thread is do much fun, the whatever Bruce does is the best brigade really are having to dig deep to defend High Hopes . I await the first post of one which claims it's a masterpiece without listening to it.

Should I start a thread about Bruce's forthcoming retirement????? The well is dry, the ink in his Parker pen has ran out, his guitar playing is at an all time low and he seems more concerned with being a hill billy than a rocker.

Holy shit, can you ever come up with anything else? I don't see anyone digging all that deep to defend HH, we just don't think he should retire like you do coz his last four albums have been "standard" according to you. Oh but some of us really dig the new incarnation of the song especially, you really have a problem with that for some reason - in fact you have a problem with people loving anything you don't. You have to constantly claim that we think everything he does is a masterpiece.

Don't worry, Bruce will retire one day and you will get your hope fulfilled.

"You can discuss and make your point if you want. But remember that the "past" alluded could well be 2012. If you jump to the 1978 conclusion, you're just repeating annoying stereotypes. And it's quite a shame, given that the discussion so far has been extremely polite. Let's stop it here."

"the discussion has been extremely polite so far"

Ummm.......really?!

The 12 pages I read seemed to be full of abuse and arguments.......

Emotionally sound mate, just don't like some of the posts. The tone is pretty spiteful. Expressing valid concerns and stating as fact that he's washed up are different things. People have every right to say both, but I've got as much right to challenge that.

A covers album isn't something I'm interested in that much. I like the songwriting more than anything, although when it's on form, the voice is something else. That said, it really isn't an indicator of the well being dry when he's not long ago released a great album. It may well be a contract filler, but that's the nature of the business unfortunately.

As for Devils being a contract filler, I don't agree. And I'm not sure I have the full Joad album now, as there is no song on my copy that is a carbon copy of Matamoros Banks.

Completely agree.

I wasn't there in 1978. I was there in 2006, though and have been since. Mainly because I was 11 years away from being spermatozoa in 1978.

I'm glad I've been around when I have been to witness this music, and witness what the man himself says is the best the band and he have ever been.

This smacks of pining for youth and evangelising and romanticising the downturn of a great artist. Perhaps I'll be pining for 2013 when I've advanced a few years, but it would be great if people could not keep bashing contemporary Springsteen.

You're bringing the final song of the TGOTD album to pass.
She said, "Now don't say nothin' if you don't have something nice to say...But for you my best was never good enough.
Some will lazily say that this is a call to end all critique on this forum. It's not. It's just a call to not have as an argument every time: "it was better in the past - so there."

A Bruce record is coming next January. No other details.

Do you know if it's Bruce Campbell, Willis, Springsteen, Boxleitner, Dern or some other Bruce?

:)

Now, seriously Fabrice, do you have any particular source for that? Thanks.

Archived