Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

Ok its Tuesday an it has been for 13 hours already

Why must I always wait for everyone to catch up

When will something Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce happen.?

I do not think anything will be announced on Tuesday now. The next date to look out for is November 25th.

I do not think anything will be announced on Tuesday now. The next date to look out for is November 25th

I'm still holding out a little optimism.

Working On A Dream was announced (and fully-tracklisted) on November 17, 2008 - only 4 days before the title track single was released. Maybe we'll have such luck this week, even as early as tomorrow (stateside).

I do not think anything will be announced on Tuesday now. The next date to look out for is November 25th

I'm still holding out a little optimism.

Working On A Dream was announced (and fully-tracklisted) on November 17, 2008 - only 4 days before the title track single was released. Maybe we'll have such luck this week, even as early as tomorrow (stateside).

Only reason that November 19th has come up was for the release of the single High Hopes on that WIMP website but now we know it is confirmed on Springsteen website that it is coming out November 25th. That is where the November 19th date has come from.

I like how you have compared it to Working On A Dream so we might be hearing news before November 25th.

Do we know for sure it's not a completely new song called High Hopes?

Yes, we do. I did read a few articles today that confirmed it was a re-do of the Havalinas song that appeared on Blood Brothers. By the way, I was actually really into that Havalinas record in 1990, so I was tripping when the "High Hopes" cover appeared on the Blood Brothers EP. Here's an article to read.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5793265/bruce-springsteen-high-hopes-single-new-album-in-january

Obviously, the good news in this is the bit about a new album in January!!!

I have to confess I never knew HH was a cover. I have always loved the '96 Greatest Hits sessions version... The vocal, the drums, the crunchy lead guitar... Having just heard the Havalina's original for the first time, I have to say I understand Bruce's affinity for the song and also, damn, that original version is a bloody good song.

I have to confess I never knew HH was a cover. I have always loved the '96 Greatest Hits sessions version... The vocal, the drums, the crunchy lead guitar... Having just heard the Havalina's original for the first time, I have to say I understand Bruce's affinity for the song and also, damn, that original version is a bloody good song.

I quite liked the '96 version too, those organ licks and the warm backing vocals, let's say his 'LA sound', reminded me a bit of Dylan's Shot of Love album... (which contained some of Dylan's worst lyric writing but some red hot music, I think). The live versions from Aus are really great - if this recording-on-the-go thing means they can capture some of the touring band's heat in the studio, great. I never before minded listening to Bruce doing a cover song (Jersey Girl, War, etc.) so the fact that this single is a cover does not bother me. As long as it rocks, eh. (And hey, since it's the new single, we'll hear it live in SA - and maybe that means he retains the horn section for the new tour.)

I quite liked the '96 version too, those organ licks and the warm backing vocals, let's say his 'LA sound', reminded me a bit of Dylan's Shot of Love album... (which contained some of Dylan's worst lyric writing but some red hot music, I think). The live versions from Aus are really great - if this recording-on-the-go thing means they can capture some of the touring band's heat in the studio, great. I never before minded listening to Bruce doing a cover song (Jersey Girl, War, etc.) so the fact that this single is a cover does not bother me. As long as it rocks, eh. (And hey, since it's the new single, we'll hear it live in SA - and maybe that means he retains the horn section for the new tour.)

I am also hoping he plays it here, and don't even suggest he might drop the E Street Horns... I will be devastated...

One of my favourite live tracks is a cover... Bruce's version of Jimmy Cliff's Trapped is a masterpiece.

Only reason that November 19th has come up was for the release of the single High Hopes on that WIMP website but now we know it is confirmed on Springsteen website that it is coming out November 25th. That is where the November 19th date has come from.

Well. Not really, I would say. It is months that we have been speaking of Tuesday 19th (or the week between November 19th and November 25th) as the inevitable date if something new is released before the new shows in SA, an Oceania. It's just the usual two months patter between official annoucement and actual release. The new sigle only confirms the pattern.

I am also hoping he plays it here, and don't even suggest he might drop the E Street Horns... I will be devastated...

One of my favourite live tracks is a cover... Bruce's version of Jimmy Cliff's Trapped is a masterpiece.

As far as recorded covers go, one of my favs is his version of Guthrie's I ain't got no home. Interesting is that he seems to pick songs by others that sound like Springsteen songs: Jersey Girl and Dream Baby Dream sounded like Springsteen songs even before he touched them. Will he next record David Kramer's White Cortina? :-)

I was thinking of adding to the unfounded covers album rumour by suggesting the Spanish and Portuguese songs he did in Chile and Brazil were also recorded in the studio and will be on this album... Plus a Spanish language acoustic version of Tom Joad.

As far as recorded covers go, one of my favs is his version of Guthrie's I ain't got no home. Interesting is that he seems to pick songs by others that sound like Springsteen songs: Jersey Girl and Dream Baby Dream sounded like Springsteen songs even before he touched them. Will he next record David Kramer's White Cortina? :-)

I was thinking of adding to the unfounded covers album rumour by suggesting the Spanish and Portuguese songs he did in Chile and Brazil were also recorded in the studio and will be on this album... Plus a Spanish language acoustic version of Tom Joad.

I discovered a Curtis Mayfield tribute album a little while ago on which Bruce does a really great version of Gypsy Woman...

Bruce aside, I am a huge Johnny Clegg fan... I have this fantasy of Johnny joining Bruce on stage on the 1st of Feb to sing December African Rain or Great Heart together... Unlikely, but it would be really cool!

My view on all of this is that if this is a cover album, I would be really excited to hear it.

I love covers (Coverville is the podcast that I listen to more than any) and to hear Springsteen put his spin on other songs would be great to hear.

What I really don't need though is a re-hash of old covers that he has done before. Such as High Hopes. The original does nothing for me and I find both the Blood Brothers version and the recent live version a bit meh.

It all just seems a bit lazy.

I discovered a Curtis Mayfield tribute album a little while ago on which Bruce does a really great version of Gypsy Woman...

Bruce aside, I am a huge Johnny Clegg fan... I have this fantasy of Johnny joining Bruce on stage on the 1st of Feb to sing December African Rain or Great Heart together... Unlikely, but it would be really cool!

Yes I like Gypsy Woman - in fact, I am still waiting for a Bruce soul album, although I am not sure I will get much support for that idea on Greasy Lake! I like Clegg too,but he seems less 'Springsteen-esque' to me than some other SA articsts (althought the songs you mention could certainly work with E Street backing...) , like Jackhammer (Piet Botha), some of James Phillips's various incarnations, and others. Kramer's English album Delicious Monster has a lot of Bruce-like songs on there, including White Cortina, and I once chatted to him and he said Nebraska and other early Springsteen (and Waits) was indeed something he resonated with as a singer-songwriter-storyteller. I also once saw an interview with the late Johannes Kerkorrel in which he listed The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle as one of his favourite albums of all time.

Morello is going to be the divisive factor for fans, I feel like.

I just listened to it and he is all over the song, along with the E Street horns. I personally love his guitar sound so I'm happy with it.

Picture somewhat of the early RATM sound (think Township Rebellion) mixed with a little bit of Audioslave (One And The Same).

Archived