Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

The Promise: 1978 - 2010

This Hard Land: 1982 - 1995

Land Of Hope And Dreams: 1999 - 2012

High Hopes: 1995 - 2013?

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of as well but it's not unusual for Bruce to keep going back to a song until something about it 'clicks' for him...He hears things we don't. We hear an early version of a song and think 'great!' but he obviously knows something is missing, at least for him... I guess when it feels right for him, he decides its time to share it with us...

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of as well but it's not unusual for Bruce to keep going back to a song until something about it 'clicks' for him...He hears things we don't. We hear an early version of a song and think 'great!' but he obviously knows something is missing, at least for him... I guess when it feels right for him, he decides its time to share it with us...

Often it's not something about the song that's missing, I think, but its 'fit' in the overall structure/narrative of an album. Land of Hope and Dreams proved pivotal for the Wrecking Ball album, and certainly not like a rehashing of old material just to fill a whole. The guy composes not just songs, but albums. But who knows, maybe this is just an EP, something to keep us talking until the real thing comes... or maybe not. Either way, I enjoy a good Springsteen release rumour on a Sunday morning.

Often it's not something about the song that's missing, I think, but its 'fit' in the overall structure/narrative of an album. Land of Hope and Dreams proved pivotal for the Wrecking Ball album, and certainly not like a rehashing of old material just to fill a whole. The guy composes not just songs, but albums. But who knows, maybe this is just an EP, something to keep us talking until the real thing comes... or maybe not. Either way, I enjoy a good Springsteen release rumour on a Sunday morning.

The great thing about it, if it does turn out to be an EP, is that we can then still expect a full album... :D

It could well be a digital release only of an Australian live version.

i want a propper EP in a cd case -not a cardboard sleeve either

Don't mind the cardboard sleeve too much... Bruce's CD releases since 2005 have all been cardboard I think... But I do agree I must have a CD. I know the world is going digital, and I love having a huge iTunes library, but In 5 or 10 years time when computers and iPods and hard drives have crashed and are distant memories, I still want be able to pull out a CD and play it when I feel like it...

For me, the Morello question is a tough one to answer without coming across too negative.

I love guitarists, I love solos, I loved 'metal' 25 years ago and still occasionally put done my stereo. I still put on RATM now and then.

But ....

Morello adds a sound to the ESB that I don't like. I don't want Bruce and the band to sound like some hair metal band from the late 80s early nineties. Ironically every Bruce gig I go to I really hope for Youngstown, Because The Night or Prove It All Night to get Nils doing his thing. He's just different than Tom though, less high pitched, less squeally, a sound that to my ears, fits the ESB.

As for High Hopes on that listening, the song does nothing for me but as has been said, maybe the studio version will be different.

Just my two bobs worth.

It could well be a digital release only of an Australian live version.

i want a propper EP in a cd case -not a cardboard sleeve either

Don't mind the cardboard sleeve too much... Bruce's CD releases since 2005 have all been cardboard I think... But I do agree I must have a CD. I know the world is going digital, and I love having a huge iTunes library, but In 5 or 10 years time when computers and iPods and hard drives have crashed and are distant memories, I still want be able to pull out a CD and play it when I feel like it...

If I'm not mistaken, the cardboard sleeves was not Springsteen's decision, but a record company decision... I think all their new CD's since 2005 or 2006 came out in this format. I might be wrong. But I also need a CD, not a download.

PS. I read this in a New York Times article on Rick Rubin: "In addition to his 'never wearing a suit, never traveling, never going to an office' demands, Rubin also suggested (strongly) that Columbia become the first major record company to go green and abolish plastic jewel boxes for all its CDs. 'They thought about it and agreed,' Rubin said."

The song High Hopes was already released in 1995. I got it on the Blood Brothers EP together with the great documentary of the ESB.

But i´m curious if we get an EP with High Hopes, TGOTH (with Morello), Dream Bream Baby and the new leaked Homestead or a complete album.

http://youtu.be/qmmxYCR52rY

You are correct, their are loads more, WB, Independance day, BITUSA, Long Walk Home etc

The song High Hopes was already released in 1995. I got it on the Blood Brothers EP together with the great documentary of the ESB.

But i´m curious if we get an EP with High Hopes, TGOTH (with Morello), Dream Bream Baby and the new leaked Homestead or a complete album.

I know, I got it with my original VHS copy of Blood Brothers. But that was a limited edition EP unavailable in the mainstream, not a Bruce Springsteen album.

PS. I read this in a New York Times article on Rick Rubin: "In addition to his 'never wearing a suit, never traveling, never going to an office' demands, Rubin also suggested (strongly) that Columbia become the first major record company to go green and abolish plastic jewel boxes for all its CDs. 'They thought about it and agreed,' Rubin said."

They haven't done this in SA, I can tell you. Still plenty of plastic jewel cases being released here by all labels, Columbia included, with Bruce being the exception.

I know, I got it with my original VHS copy of Blood Brothers. But that was a limited edition EP unavailable in the mainstream, not a Bruce Springsteen album.

People don't know how lucky they were back then, when it was only limited.

You are correct, their are loads more, WB, Independance day, BITUSA, Long Walk Home etc

They were all good though.

Too true... Blood Brothers is one of my favourite songs by Bruce... But I also really love the 'Ton Of Bricks' version on the EP. It's not better, not worse, just different, and still worth listening to.

Too true... Blood Brothers is one of my favourite songs by Bruce... But I also really love the 'Ton Of Bricks' version on the EP. It's not better, not worse, just different, and still worth listening to.

BB and Murder are the two only songs worth listening to on that EP. Secret garden is an okay song. Nothing special.

HH and Without You are deeply embarrassing low points in his recording history. They would have fitted well on WOAD or HT. But best of all if he had never recorded them.

They were all good though.

Have you heard the new version?

No but I don't rate the song (as known) as being anything special.

I think the point is the previously known tracks that eventually made a studio release were Bruce's originals. Recycling covers for a new album is the best way to prove you're "Knocked-out loaded" and sadly well ""Down in the groove" as a songwriter.

Archived