Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

To think Bruce is "down in the groove" as a songwriter is a tad silly.

There are many songs and projects he could release and easily knock together an album, but he has gone this way, with this track - you have no idea what else is on the record.

Trust the Artist.

There are many songs and projects he could release and easily knock together an album, but he has gone this way, with this track - you have no idea what else is on the record.

Trust the Artist.

I'll stick to trusting my ears - as and when we hear any new release.

Trust the Artist.

I trust the artist as long as he behaves like an artist. More importantly, I prefer judging than "trusting" a work of art. As for "Down in the groove", I'm sure you got the Dylan reference. Nothing "silly" in it, if you get it.

All very strange. There is a lot of unreleased material in the vaults, like the country album recorded not long ago. Why recycle covers? Why recycle The Ghost of Tom Joad?

And after Knocked out loaded and Down in the groove came Oh Mercy, so there's always hope.

All very strange. There is a lot of unreleased material in the vaults, like the country album recorded not long ago. Why recycle covers? Why recycle The Ghost of Tom Joad?

And after Knocked out loaded and Down in the groove came Oh Mercy, so there's always hope.

:lol:

Bob still managed to leave out "Series Of Dreams" from Oh Mercy though :rolleyes:

Trust the Artist.

IMO he gets it right most of the time. WOAD is very poor and Devil's still feels a contract filler to me.

My fear here is he's just releasing something to tour around. I will always want new music from Bruce if im going to be engaged. I love Quarter to 3 but don't want it on the new album. I happen to think HH is so so.

As you say, we don't know what else is on the album. It would be a shame to follow an album as new and creative as WB with rehash though.

Daniel Lanois left it out of "oh mercy", not Bob.

Well you made me look it up.

"During a Sound Opinions interview broadcast on Chicago FM radio, Lanois told Chicago Tribune critic Greg Kot that “Series of Dreams” was his pick for the opening track, but ultimately, the final decision was Dylan’s. Music critic Tim Riley would echo these sentiments, writing that “‘Series of Dreams’ should have been the working title song to Oh Mercy, not a leftover pendant.”

http://johannasvisions.com/bob-dylan-oh-mercy/

Daniel Lanois left it out of "oh mercy", not Bob.

Well you made me look it up.

"During a Sound Opinions interview broadcast on Chicago FM radio, Lanois told Chicago Tribune critic Greg Kot that “Series of Dreams” was his pick for the opening track, but ultimately, the final decision was Dylan’s. Music critic Tim Riley would echo these sentiments, writing that “‘Series of Dreams’ should have been the working title song to Oh Mercy, not a leftover pendant.”

http://johannasvisions.com/bob-dylan-oh-mercy/

Either way a damn good album and the Bootleg Series 8 which completes more of the Oh Mercy story is essential listening. But I too, digress.

I guess it comes down to this as far as I am concerned....

What is it about Bruce Springsteen that makes him great ?...what is about the man that makes him for me incomparable in popular music ?...What is it about him which has made me a ridiculously obsessive fan for 30 years ?....Why have millions of people bought his albums over 4 decades ?..

I would suggest it's one thing alone....his songs. Not anybody else's songs..his songs. His own songwriting for me is the one thing that makes Springsteen unique in popular music. His live concerts speak for themselves, anybody attending a Springsteen concert even if they didn't know any of his songs would agree he is an incredible live performer, however there are many great live performers in music but if their songs were crap nobody would go to see them and nobody would buy their records in the quantities that they have done over 40 years with Bruce Springsteen.

I do not want to hear a new album of re-hashed songs from 15 to 20 years ago...or cover versions of songs that anybody with two eyes, a nose, and a mouth could do. I want to hear the finest songwriter in the world prove to the world that he still has new great songs left in him. Like others I will personally judge the new album on the material I hear after several listens, and I hope to God the majority of the songs in it are new Springsteen songs we have not heard yet, because if it isn't then that for me is a sure sign that our man's creative edge has well and truly run it's course.

I think it's a fair shout to question his output in recent time, just because it's new don't make it great. The last 4-5 albums are average at best in my view and another album of that standard and I feel he should retire.

Did you think Bruce's well had ran dry after The Seeger Sessions?

I thought it an odd release and, whilst the shows were good, wouldn't care to seen it repeated.

In terms of dryness of well I would suggest it was parched at that time. Not to say it didn't refresh.

For my taste though it's about new Bruce music and always will be.

I think Bruce is in a position where he could put anything out and it will sell, Rolling Stone will declare it great and the majority of lakers will not have a word said against it.

When the reality Bruce could do with someone telling to up his game

I think Bruce is in a position where he could put anything out and it will sell, Rolling Stone will declare it great and the majority of lakers will not have a word said against it.

I don't think you can argue against pre human touch era topping post. That said, GOTJ, WB and Magic are great albums.

I'd say he's 2 out of the last 3 have been quality.

I am puzzled where you have heard the new version?

I consider myself a diehard Springsteen fan... I love him and his music. I rate much of his music good to great to truly brilliant, but I don't for a second believe everything he has put out is a masterpiece. By sheer volume of work alone that's an impossibility.

But I also ask myself, does anyone ever say "Bruce, this is crap"...? I know JM has done it before. I always wonder if Elvis Presley had, instead of people on the gravy train, a few people around him in the mid Seventies saying 'Dude... WTF?" How different the history of rock 'n roll might have turned out.

I am puzzled where you have heard the new version?

No need to be puzzled. I don't think its the version people are talking about. More the fact its not his material.

I think it's a fair shout to question his output in recent time, just because it's new don't make it great. The last 4-5 albums are average at best in my view and another album of that standard and I feel he should retire.

I do understand that people think that D&D-Seeger Sessions-WOAD are average albums. But Magic? It's a great album, the best album of the Reunion era, better than the Rising which is a little too long.

Archived