Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

I think Bruce is in a position where he could put anything out and it will sell, Rolling Stone will declare it great and the majority of lakers will not have a word said against it.

When the reality Bruce could do with someone telling to up his game

I am puzzled where you have heard the new version?

No need to be puzzled. I don't think its the version people are talking about. More the fact its not his material.

No need to be sarcastic either. I fully understand :)

I wonder how people felt when War was the lead single off live 75-85?

The same people (on this thread) that said there wasn't a new record are now laying into a song before they haven't heard it!! Funnily enough the same people who were constantly pm'ing me for Leeds tickets :)

News - it's not a Tracks 2 project - it's a new record :)

I think Bruce is in a position where he could put anything out and it will sell, Rolling Stone will declare it great and the majority of lakers will not have a word said against it.

No need to be puzzled. I don't think its the version people are talking about. More the fact its not his material.

The same people (on this thread) that said there wasn't a new record are now laying into a song before they haven't heard it!! Funnily enough the same people who were constantly pm'ing me for Leeds tickets :)

I don't see the relevance. War was relating to a multi disk live set. He's known to through in the occasional cover.

People here are commenting on a previously heard song which is not new material.

Wasn't posting for the Leeds, new album threads so no interest.

I think the point is the previously known tracks that eventually made a studio release were Bruce's originals. Recycling covers for a new album is the best way to prove you're "Knocked-out loaded" and sadly well ""Down in the groove" as a songwriter.

Whether it's a cover or an original doesn't make any difference to me. The re-hashings of old material on "Devils & Dust" and "Wrecking Ball" didn't speak much for Bruce's creativity either IMO. Yeah, I know all about the 1978 live performances of "Sherry Darling", "Independence Day" et al, but when he recorded and released those, they weren't a decade old already.

I think the point is the previously known tracks that eventually made a studio release were Bruce's originals. Recycling covers for a new album is the best way to prove you're "Knocked-out loaded" and sadly well ""Down in the groove" as a songwriter.

Whether it's a cover or an original doesn't make any difference to me.

Well, it's the difference between being a relevant songwriter, or a mere vocalist. Between being an artist with a message of his own, or a performer.

Whether it's a cover or an original doesn't make any difference to me.

Well, it's the difference between being a relevant songwriter, or a mere vocalist. Between being an artist with a message of his own, or a performer.

I see what you mean, but taking a 13-year old tune already officially released in a live version, re-recording it in the studio, and then putting it on a "new" studio album IMO isn't something a "relevant songwriter" should do. The only "message" I can see in there is that he's running out of ideas. Pretty much the same with the title track on "Wrecking Ball" (although that one admittedly was just less than three years old).

Did you think Bruce's well had ran dry after The Seeger Sessions?

Right?

Yeah, Bruce has basically been a scumbag without any ideas for decades now. What a total piece of trash. But hey, let's keep talking about one or two albums from 40 years ago as if they're the most relevant things in the world!

Did you think Bruce's well had ran dry after The Seeger Sessions?

Right?

Yeah, Bruce has basically been a scumbag without any ideas for decades now. What a total piece of trash. But hey, let's keep talking about one or two albums from 40 years ago as if they're the most relevant things in the world!

You are not one to take some criticism of the man very lightly, huh Hero? ;)

Off topic again, but it seems it's becoming impossible to express an opinion on this site without the Don't Criticise The Boss police leaping out from every orifice.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. Oh, indeed.

Except to say that the police are leaping out of every orfice is a bit much. Plenty here don't have any problems with people having apprehensions about the song.

For me, I love it and love what he did with Morello so I'm down with it being released. I just think it came alive for him again after playing it with Morello and decided to re-record it, and agree with the poster who said Bruce might think it fits with the overall narrative of what he's trying to do/say - like Wrecking Ball and Land of Hopes and Dreams. Yes they're his songs but Dream Baby Dream is another song that obviously means a lot to him. And we don't even know if the next album is all covers, and that's where people are jumping ship. Or it might just be an EP to tour with when he hits Australia. As if Bruce will never write an album of originals again.

Archived