Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

Quote: For the record, The River was universally loved by fans and critics when it came out. Those live shows are the stuff of legend, especially as it was a kiss off to the old Bruce. Next time we saw him he was a muscle bound bona fide superstar. Rosalita too has always been loved. There was a lot of controversy when he finally weaned himself off it in the late 80s.

Not strictly true. Julie Burchill totally took the piss out of it in her New Musical Express Review. In particular the lyrics.

Oh, Julie Burchill eh? She and her "right on" mates at the NME trashed anything that didn't fit their views.

That's why serious rock fans bought Sounds or Melody Maker.

Maybe this whole thing will turn out to be some kind of elaborate hoax anyway. Then we'll all be feeling bad.

There is a new album. Not an EP.

Good. I'm happy to believe that, I never cared much for High Hopes but the new version will get listened to with the same open mind that all the other stuff on it will get. I have no problem with Bruce rehashing stuff and who the fuck cares if Bruce is "relevant" - whatever that means anyway - he is relevant to ME. If he goes back to singing about cars, girls & night I'll be happy as long as the songs are good (ie. I like them!)

I've never been a massive fan of Rosalita. Back in the day, it was the one track I'd fast forward as I was really not bothered about the lengthy overblown version where he'd introduce the band. How i'd have loved a cd player then - it was always so bladdy hit and miss finding the end of that track - it went on forever!

CK what is it about your stupid pics that I cannot fucking load the page? I've just sat here trying to load for far too long, can you please shrink it or can people make dumb posts to get to the next page? You already made your point ffs and it's causing me problems!

And as for the cover aspect, if you're going to tell me that's a problem, that's fine so long as you can also tell me that Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and The Animals were all irrelevant.

You remenber the discussion were about songwriting, right? Otherwise, one can easily add Rhianna and Justin Bieber to your list. They sure are relevant in music business...

Looks to me the discussion runs a little off-topic.

The reality is: the advertisement in the first post says that 25.11., that is 8 days from today, a brand new Bruce Springsteen album will be released.

Without too much promotion, it seems.

Otherwise, maybe they mean that 25.11 a cd single titled High Hopes will be released. But then the album itself will soon follow after that.

CK what is it about your stupid pics that I cannot fucking load the page? I've just sat here trying to load for far too long, can you please shrink it or can people make dumb posts to get to the next page? You already made your point ffs and it's causing me problems!

Boo-fucking-hoo Kay.

Quit whining so much,

Many many times a Youtube video wreck a page completely for me, especially if there is more than 2 videos on that page.

Atleast the images auto-resize.

Smile and be happy instead, I am done posting trainwreck pics in this thread. :)

Of course you take it as whining. So others get to have problems so you can post dumb pics.

Am on my breaking cell now thanks to you.

Guess ill have to ask a mod in the future if i can't load a page.

It's definitely whining.

Like I said, I have many problems with youtube videos.

Should people refrain from insert them, and just leave a link for us to click on then?

His point though Frank I think had to do with the fact that those artists wrote their own stuff save Elvis while doing covers. If I can get the point posted since I have to wait so long to load coz of a stupid pic. again.

:lol: Thanks Kay. The point, specifically for each artists, is:

Johnny Cash - excellent songwriter with tracks like Give My Love to Rose and Folsom Prison Blues, and there's no disputing this. But you also have his legendary ability to take someone else's song, like Trent Reznor's Hurt, Sting's I Hung My Head, or June Carter and Merle Kilgore's Ring of Fire and turn it into one of the best things that ever existed. He's the ultimate. He makes his genius using not just his own words but the words of others.

Elvis Presley - I guarantee he will always be considered one of the most important and influential musicians, never wrote his own stuff.

The Animals - again nobody can dispute their skill and influence, just look at how Bruce feels about them and listen to We Gotta Get out of This Place or Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Yet their most famous song today is a cover. They'll always be remembered for what they brought to rock and roll but they'll also always be remembered for that gritty, kickass vocal over a magnificent Vox Continental riff.

Ultimately my point comes down to this - 1: there's no connection between an artist's releasing covers and his or her songwriting ability, and 2: there's plenty of glory to be had in releasing covers.

Of course you take it as whining. So others get to have problems so you can post dumb pics.

It's definitely whining.

Should people refrain from insert them, and just leave a link for us to click on then?

This site seems to embed videos automatically, at least it does for me.

Since you ask, yes I would prefer a link, as this would also enable me to open it in another tab and listen while I read other pages of the threads. As long as people state what the link is - if it's just an unidentified youtube link I usually don't bother because I too have terrible download speed problems.

Now take that stupid image down. It's taken me about ten minutes to get the page to load.

Yes, in truth, it's all speculation. Allbeit some people may have better rumours than others. But hey, I got into deep doodoo .on the other thread for suggesting similar so I'll back off. Not before reminding ourselves that back in '79 we all knew that an album called The Ties That Bind was finished, mastered, art worked and ready to go. And guess what? So, don't believe diddly until it's in your hands or downloaded to your gear.

It's definitely whining.

This site seems to embed videos automatically, at least it does for me.

Since you ask, yes I would prefer a link, as this would also enable me to open it in another tab and listen while I read other pages of the threads. As long as people state what the link is - if it's just an unidentified youtube link I usually don't bother because I too have terrible download speed problems.

Now take that stupid image down. It's taken me about ten minutes to get the page to load.

Because you are not whining hysterically and ask nicely I'll remove it :)

Quote: For the record, The River was universally loved by fans and critics when it came out. Those live shows are the stuff of legend, especially as it was a kiss off to the old Bruce. Next time we saw him he was a muscle bound bona fide superstar. Rosalita too has always been loved. There was a lot of controversy when he finally weaned himself off it in the late 80s.

Not strictly true. Julie Burchill totally took the piss out of it in her New Musical Express Review. In particular the lyrics.

Oh, Julie Burchill eh? She and her "right on" mates at the NME trashed anything that didn't fit their views.

That's why serious rock fans bought Sounds or Melody Maker.

The following week Nick Kent also in the NME used a review of a Ry Cooder album to call out Burchill for her River review being really quite off the mark and patronising. NME subsequently gave good reviews to all Bruce albums - except Human Touch - which they called a "load of old boss".

I didn't always agree with Burchill and co. but at least they wrote challenging reviews that made music fans think about why they were slavishly devoted to making music artists ridiculously rich even when their product was sub standard.. Most music journalism these days (e.g. Uncut, Q, Mojo, seems to deliberately play up specific types of artists so their carefully targeted readership will carry on buying their magazine. I guess that's why the Clash,etc still appear on the cover of Uncut at least once a year.

Looks to me the discussion runs a little off-topic.

The reality is: the advertisement in the first post says that 25.11., that is 8 days from today, a brand new Bruce Springsteen album will be released.

Without too much promotion, it seems.

Otherwise, maybe they mean that 25.11 a cd single titled High Hopes will be released. But then the album itself will soon follow after that.

I think the date 25th will be for the official announcement of the new Album. I think the album will then come out in January.

The following week Nick Kent also in the NME used a review of a Ry Cooder album to call out Burchill for her River review being really quite off the mark and patronising. NME subsequently gave good reviews to all Bruce albums - except Human Touch - which they called a "load of old boss".

They bashed most of his single releases though. ;)

I go to bed, wake up, and suddenly there's 5 more pages about Bon Jovi, Secret Garden, and lots of arguing.

I'm gonna guess that I didn't miss much.

Skimming all the comments, I will say this: I trust Bruce beyond any doubt with his musical ear and his creativity and I'm sure this will be AT VERY MINIMUM a *good* release. Anyone who is boohoo-ing now will find at least one song on the new album that they long. It's inevitable. Has Bruce released works that have been less stellar than others? Absolutely. I guarantee everyone can find at least one, two, or a handful of tracks on those albums that they like, however.

To my knowledge, we have no confirmation that TGOTJ will even be on this, so a bunch of people are worked up about the inclusion of 2 cover songs potentially on the album. Guys, if this is a feature-length album, then there are sure to be 9-10 more songs at least that could be any kind of material. I remember people flaming different parts of the internet about LOHAD and Wrecking Ball being past releases, and then coming to love the album in its entirety.

If "High Hopes" is the lead single or whatever off the new album, I'll say this: It makes me more excited than "We Take Care Of Our Own" did a couple years back.

This is going to be a long 2 days unless the song or info gets leaked.

I posted this to BTX. It's a screen shot I took from the streaming service called WiMP and it says that the song will be available for streaming on the 25th.

So what does the 19th date stand for ?

I'm not sure. I can see that it says 5th of November for Dream Baby Dream. Maybe the song will be available on the 19th. I think 25th will be way too early for a full album without any announcement.
i was on about a new album only last night with one legged Dog

I said the album would be out just before Christmas

Seen as Christmas started in October it's a bit late

I had high hopes for 2live box sets the other day

Olli crashed and burned that one

Has he anything to do with this? :-) :-)

Can we get serious here for a minute? If this "High Hopes" thingy really is related to a new studio album in any form, with absolutely ZERO promotion done for it in advance, I'll eat my hat. And no condiments, thank you.

Archived