Greasy Lake Community

HIGH HOPES - Released soon ???

Can we get serious here for a minute? If this "High Hopes" thingy really is related to a new studio album in any form, with absolutely ZERO promotion done for it in advance, I'll eat my hat. And no condiments, thank you.

The surprise element can work sometimes. David Bowies latest album, the Pixies latest ep for examples. They could be goin down that route. It generates a lot of publicity like that.

Can we get serious here for a minute? If this "High Hopes" thingy really is related to a new studio album in any form, with absolutely ZERO promotion done for it in advance, I'll eat my hat. And no condiments, thank you.

The surprise element can work sometimes. David Bowies latest album, the Pixies latest ep for examples. They could be goin down that route. It generates a lot of publicity like that.

JLM/Springsteen Inc. just doesn't operate that way.

Johnny Cash - excellent songwriter with tracks like Give My Love to Rose and Folsom Prison Blues, and there's no disputing this. But you also have his legendary ability to take someone else's song, like Trent Reznor's Hurt, Sting's I Hung My Head, or June Carter and Merle Kilgore's Ring of Fire and turn it into one of the best things that ever existed. He's the ultimate. He makes his genius using not just his own words but the words of others.

I agree, but there's a huge difference between him, and post-Dylan songwriters. J. R. Cash might have penned remarkable songs himself, but when you put on one of his tracks, you don't care who wrote them, do you? On his Essential album, he's credited for less than a half of the songs. That's because he recorded covers all along his career, starting when authorship didn't actually matter. He's just a "singer of songs", as he himself would proclaim (in a stunning piece of his own songwriting, btw). His strength was his distinctive voice, more than his songwriting. A voice so distinctive to make his own any song he would sing. Just ask Rick Rubin who reinvented his carreer by simply putting him in from of a mike, with the right cover to sing.

As for Bruce, we adore his voice, but had it been for his vocal skills alone, he would have never made outside the Garden State. He made a carreer (and an worshipping audience) on what he wrote himself.

Springsteen is a songwiter à la Dylan, not simply someone who sometimes pens great songs. And people are supposed to give credit to songwriters because they have something original to say, not just something to sing.

The more I think about a covers album as his next move, I can see his sense in doing so.

He has been talking a lot about 2014 being his 50th year as a performer. It obviously means a lot to him and a large part of his live legacy are the covers he has played at all stages of his career.

I therefore wonder if he is planning a long touring year to celebrate this milestone, supporting an album of a selection of covers that mean something to him. This is supported by the ones we know of so far:

1. High Hopes - Worked on for the reformation of the band.

2. Homestead - In my opinion, it was his work with Gruscheky that helped him rediscover his 'rocker mojo' and allow him to get back to leading a full on rock band.

3. Dream Baby Dream - The main cover from his rare solo tour where he seemed to again find a way to break the mould and do what he wanted to do.

4. You Never Can Tell - A big early cover for the band, maybe he is dropping us another crumb by releasing a video of this?

Whilst i would love an album of new stuff, maybe this is Bruce's way of appeasing the sign holders demanding random covers at every gig - it is therefore our fault in a way! If so, I would expect to see:

5. A Creedence Song (WSTR/Bad Moon or RAOTW?)

6. Quarter to Three

7. Trapped

And possibly

8. Chimes of Freedom

9. Shout or Twist and Shout

10. An animals Song

11. Pretty Flamingo.

12. A Stevie Chosen 3 minute pop song

The more I think about a covers album as his next move, I can see his sense in doing so.

He has been talking a lot about 2014 being his 50th year as a performer. It obviously means a lot to him and a large part of his live legacy are the covers he has played at all stages of his career.

I therefore wonder if he is planning a long touring year to celebrate this milestone, supporting an album of a selection of covers that mean something to him. This is supported by the ones we know of so far:

2. Homestead - In my opinion, it was his work with Gruscheky that helped him rediscover his 'rocker mojo' and allow him to get back to leading a full on rock band.

3. Dream Baby Dream - The main cover from his rare solo tour where he seemed to again find a way to break the mould and do what he wanted to do.

4. You Never Can Tell - A big early cover for the band, maybe he is dropping us another crumb by releasing a video of this?

Whilst i would love an album of new stuff, maybe this is Bruce's way of appeasing the sign holders demanding random covers at every gig - it is therefore our fault in a way! If so, I would expect to see:

6. Quarter to Three

7. Trapped

And possibly

8. Chimes of Freedom

10. An animals Song

11. Pretty Flamingo.

I don't think Homestead is linked to anything. I asked a question on the thread of the same name about the source, and was told it was E Street radio. That song wasn't released like DBD and the others, so I don't know if that tells us anything. Just my opinion.

6. Quarter to Three

7. Trapped

And possibly

8. Chimes of Freedom

10. An animals Song

11. Pretty Flamingo.

I don't think Homestead is linked to anything. I asked a question on the thread of the same name about the source, and was told it was E Street radio. That song wasn't released like DBD and the others, so I don't know if that tells us anything. Just my opinion.

You may be right. Time will tell...

It is looking a strange move. Surely even those on here who soil their own pants at the slightest hint of objectivity must admit that.

A lead single to a new album and it's a cover version. Or at least im presuming it's not his own tune with the same name.

Anyhoo, we'll see wont we? Rest of the album may be great. I really hope so coz I do love the old fucker.

I think we should have a vote. I'm with you. I really think this is a one-off. Sometimes a door is just a door.

I think we should have a vote. I'm with you. I really think this is a one-off. Sometimes a door is just a door.

I want to agree but I'm not so sure.

Anyhoo, we'll see wont we? Rest of the album may be great. I really hope so coz I do love the old fucker.

I love the old fucker too and while I would prefer an album of mostly originals, if it is a covers album and it's great then I won't give a flyin' in the end. I mean I certainly love just about everything on both Seeger Sessions' albums. And if I don't think it's great, maybe the next one will be. Plus we've got the live shows to look forward to. Which is why the mention of Bruce retiring is simply absurd, especially based on something we haven't even heard yet. He's got a couple of years left to still make "grown men cry" in concert.

JLM/Springsteen Inc. just doesn't operate that way.

Very true, And I was thinking that. But it just reminded me of them. We'll just have to wait and see

Please note that the sonymusic/musicbox.de website does NOT mention any album. I'm quite convinced that this is merely going to be just what that site says it is - an "mp3 download single", with no imminent album release linked to it. How and why they decided to put that track out, however, is totally beyond my comprehension.

Please note that the sonymusic/musicbox.de website does NOT mention any album. I'm quite convinced that this is merely going to be just what that site says it is - an "mp3 download single", with no imminent album release linked to it. How and why they decided to put that track out, however, is totally beyond my comprehension.

How about an Australian live version, promoting something connected to the videos that have been released in the last weeks? Just guessing.

Bowie's album wasnt released by surprise. It came out two months after its existence was publicly confirmed - which is a normal timeframe these days needed for record labels, A&R people, record shops etc.

He released a download and youtube video for 'Where are we now?' without advance publicity on January 8th. Both of which are much easier to do when there is no actual physical product.

No artist is going to be able to release an album on vinyl/CD in this day and age on a major label without it being public knowledge for several weeks before beforehand.

What that said directly translated, if it's not already been said, is:

''This album has not launched yet. The album will be launched on 25. 11. 2013''

That could be taken to mean 'announced' or 'confirmed'.

I'm hoping this is all a single or EP to coincide with the Aussie tour or something (especially as he played this song there - out of the blue - earlier this year).

Re-recording a 19 year old cover version which was hidden away on a hard to find promo EP and then putting it out as a lead single from any album is barrel scraping if true, and I'm having a hard time believing Bruce would do that. Especially as by all accounts he's writing songs regularly.

Archived