Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

As I was saying in the other thread:

This song is absolutely drenched with Tom Morello, which I think will be the divisive factor for fans. For his guitar sound, think of early RATM (Township Rebellion noises) and then Audioslave (One And The Same riff).

Thanks for starting. Can't really listen right now but I've seen nothing but great comments thus far.

The horns and Morello being all over it, plus I already love the tune. it's gonna be a goody.

I agree about Tom being a divisive factor though. Not that I've heard it but some just don't like his style.

I'll never understand how these songs leak so early, but I'm not gonna complain. I've always been of the camp of thought that an early leak is fair game, especially for avid fans who will undoubtedly buy the actual thing when the time comes.

The song definitely grows on you with each listen. For those who can't listen yet, a bit of a brief:

It opens with a kind of shuffling electronic drum until the instruments start flowing in: bongos, morello, etc. Then it picks up. Bruce's voice sounds good.

So whaddya think Steve?

Kay I know the '95 version really well, so it's a case of trying to hear it with an unbiased ear... Like with the WB version of LOHAD, I first thought 'and now?' but it's become one of my favourite tracks on the album. Yes, Morello is very front and centre on it, which is going to be a divisive factor for fans... (I was a huge fan of the first Audioslave album and I happen to like Morello's guitar work personally)

I don't dislike it, I just need to hear it more and digest it I think.

Thanks for starting. Can't really listen right now but I've seen nothing but great comments thus far.

The horns and Morello being all over it, plus I already love the tune. it's gonna be a goody.

I agree about Tom being a divisive factor though. Not that I've heard it but some just don't like his style.

I just listened, and I don't know if you're going to like it, given that you dig the original, like me. I liked the percussion in the intro, Morello does add some seasoning, and I enjoy his solo, but there were moments during the verse where his scratching sound distracted, as opposed to adding value to the music. The horns play the songs' main riff. I did like the breaks, and the ending. Bruce's vocal is good. All of the elements of the live version are there. Maybe it will grow on me. One thought I had, as others have already: why this song as the lead single? I should add that I'm not a fan of listening to music through my laptop, so I will reserve judgement until I can blast it through real audio. Just my opinion after one listen, of course.

For what it's worth, and I'm not advocating this, but you can save the song to your computer if you're on Chrome. Right click and hit Inspect Element, then search "mp3" until you find http: //ia601900.us.archive.org/20/items/HighhopesSpringsteen/highhopes-springsteen.mp3, then go to there and right click, and click Save As.

I'm always wary of doing this because I feel like I'll get in trouble haha, so I'm not gonna do it. But it'll be useful if someone wants to put it on Youtube.

So whaddya think Steve?

Kay I know the '95 version really well, so it's a case of trying to hear it with an unbiased ear... Like with the WB version of LOHAD, I first thought 'and now?' but it's become one of my favourite tracks on the album. Yes, Morello is very front and centre on it, which is going to be a divisive factor for fans... (I was a huge fan of the first Audioslave album and I happen to like Morello's guitar work personally)

I don't dislike it, I just need to hear it more and digest it I think.

Well said, and I agree with all of that!

Bloody Fuckbook! Whatever happened to a nice DJ playing it first on the wireless?

Come now... Facebook is saving you time, saving you money, and putting YOU, first...
Thank you for that pep talk, where do I sign up?!

Archived