Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

Very similar to the previous tour version - as to be expected - and still utterly horrendous.

People keep saying that the song awful - I like it very much - could you explain why you think it's horrendous? Sometimes it's just a matter of taste - I like; you don't; no skin off anybodies nose - but the vehemence surprises me. Is it just those who haven't left BtR and never will, granted a great place to be but....? Is it super high expectations? Is it too Seeger Sessions?

It seems to me that Bruce is giving us everything we could want these days.... an extended tour, two visits to down under, South America and South Africa, videos that are great (even if DBD is too saccharine for your tastes what about Local Hero and This Hard Land, strong rumors of a new album early next year or DVD from the tour and yet another fresh music mix - Seeger Sessions / heavy guitars plus IMO great song writing on WB. I do see the case for other opinions about the lyrics on WB but I think the whole album brilliant.

Seriously I'm asking cause I want to know.

Not that long ago, before mainstream internet and iTunes and MP3s etc etc... As incomprehensible as it must seem to young folks now, I would walk into the local music store and find new albums by artists I loved, including Springsteen, without even having known they were being released. I would buy them on the spot, without having heard a single note, take them home, and more times than not, have an absolute eargasm enjoying the 10 or 12 brand new songs I hadn't known the day before.

God we're spoiled today. Spoiled, arrogant, entitled, demanding. Imagine Bruce read some of the crap posted here and went "You know what? Stuff it... Cancel the tours, stop the music releases, I'll go home and enjoy being with my family, you guys can press repeat on BTR for ever and ever."

But he never would, and I for one am eternally grateful and thankful that he does what he does. I don't have to like or love all of it, and if/when the new album comes out, I might think it's 'okay' or I might think it the best thing he has ever done. I can't say. But the endless waffle over one freaking song as though it's the end of all civilization. It's one bloody song...Sheesh people.

I wasnt alive for Born to Run, Darkness, The River, I was barely alive for GOTD. My first Bruce experience was when i got in the car one day with my dad on our way into Dublin (about an hour away from home). Dad isnt a huge Bruce fan but had this CD. He put it in the car stereo and said "listen to this and see can you tell me what it's about". I was 12 at the time. And that album was The Rising. I fell in love with Bruce at that moment, and as soon as i got home i bought every album i could.

Hey I was at the smallish shows in 1978 and I envy you. You can almost listen to a new Bruce every day. I used to want Bruce to go back to Greetings and WIESS stuff (still do in a small way) but I gave up expectations and learned to like stuff I didn't know I liked until Bruce put it together for me.

I like your story and the rest of what you had to say. As an illustration of Bruce deserving the trust we give him - I'm 56yrs old, female and a third shift doorman in Chicago AND you're an 18yr old in Ireland and we both are nuts for a 64 yr old guy from NJ - enuff said.

I trust the man!

Very similar to the previous tour version - as to be expected - and still utterly horrendous.

People keep saying that the song awful - I like it very much - could you explain why you think it's horrendous? Sometimes it's just a matter of taste - I like; you don't; no skin off anybodies nose - but the vehemence surprises me. Is it just those who haven't left BtR and never will, granted a great place to be but....? Is it super high expectations? Is it too Seeger Sessions?

It seems to me that Bruce is giving us everything we could want these days.... an extended tour, two visits to down under, South America and South Africa, videos that are great (even if DBD is too saccharine for your tastes what about Local Hero and This Hard Land, strong rumors of a new album early next year or DVD from the tour and yet another fresh music mix - Seeger Sessions / heavy guitars plus IMO great song writing on WB. I do see the case for other opinions about the lyrics on WB but I think the whole album brilliant.

Any song which pains you to listen to is horrendous in my book. When the horns kick in with that sound - like a 90s Italian light entertainment tv show only without a buxom beauty to look at - it's just awful. And I'm usually a fan of the horn section.

I agree Steve. And because he stays creative, keeps on doing new things, the old songs also sound new, or reinvigorated; they get a new context, become part of new narratives.

+100 that's the part that keeps amazing me

The thing with morello is, why can't Bruce feature his own unique style of guitar playing?

As much as I like Bruce/Nils I thought Tom really took Death to my Hometown to another level, his style made the anger front and center. I saw him at an Occupy event he did TGoTJ. I loved how his guitar made you cry and rage at the same time. OTOH he isn't always a right fit and I think Nils is a better guitarist.

Any song which pains you to listen to is horrendous in my book. When the horns kick in with that sound - like a 90s Italian light entertainment tv show only without a buxom beauty to look at - it's just awful. And I'm usually a fan of the horn section.

Okay. Me it makes dance and sing tho I shouldn't do either at least in public.

Bruce can keep giving us (I speak for myself here) what he thinks his fans want.

Every time I listen to one of his songs (old and new) they sound fresh and I'm uplifted + they still give me goose bumps... (apart from one or two mid 90's tracks agreed)

Is it people are scared of change and want to keep hearing the same familiar material etc? Like most; I love the sad, the happy***, the dark, the slow, the fast, the past and the new... So Bruce please don't stop :)

I also wouldn't say he's uninspiring... I agree, it's not a Springsteen song, but it's one he feels passionate about and one he wants to share with his fans, the same applies with Dream Baby Dream, which again he takes to another level.

***Well almost all the happy - Thank the lord it's not another Waitin' on a Sunny Day... (I'm really not a fan, sorry)

I think we all need to temper our onions/hopes whilst we await the release. Whether what comes next is a commercial blunder or the finest thing he has ever released we shall see in the fullness of time.
Night after night this guy wears his heart on his sleeve and could not give 1% more for his fans (the guy was on his knees at the end of the Leeds show*) and has done for many more years than the majority of artists. Yes all are welcome to their opinion on any new release (I am personally slightly puzzled at the release of HH, primarily because i feel it is a cluncky cover that has already been released once) but to think the guy would thoughtlessly pump out material is ill though out in my opinion.

On a separate note;

1) How are we so sure that DBD is on the new record? It is already free on Spotify and may well have just been a ‘thank you’ to the fans as already marketed
2) How are we so sure GOTJ is on the new record? This was a twitter rumor, it could well be that the person was referencing many previous live collaborations between the pair
3) How do we know anything yet? Remember people this is, most of our, favorite artist how about we look forward to an announcement on Monday……

*could someone please tell me how to attach photos to these posts

Point well made.

To add photos: Select the more options button, bottom right and then the upload button in the new window. Select images from your desktop... Done!

Thanks! I also wanted to know this...

I think we all need to temper our onions/hopes whilst we await the release. Whether what comes next is a commercial blunder or the finest thing he has ever released we shall see in the fullness of time.

Night after night this guy wears his heart on his sleeve and could not give 1% more for his fans (the guy was on his knees at the end of the Leeds show*) and has done for many more years than the majority of artists. Yes all are welcome to their opinion on any new release (I am personally slightly puzzled at the release of HH, primarily because i feel it is a cluncky cover that has already been released once) but to think the guy would thoughtlessly pump out material is ill though out in my opinion.

On a separate note;

1) How are we so sure that DBD is on the new record? It is already free on Spotify and may well have just been a ‘thank you’ to the fans as already marketed

2) How are we so sure GOTJ is on the new record? This was a twitter rumor, it could well be that the person was referencing many previous live collaborations between the pair

3) How do we know anything yet? Remember people this is, most of our, favorite artist how about we look forward to an announcement on Monday……

*could someone please tell me how to attach photos to these posts

Origional image i had in mind when making the post......

post-39360-0-98571200-1385136924_thumb.j

I love the sound of the horns in this song. To me they sound a little Chicago-esque.

Now then, I've only managed to hear the new version once before it was taken down. I like it, that's about all. BUT! I've just been watching Bruce and The Roots doing the E Street Shuffle at Roskilde last year. I'd love to see them do HH with him. That would be cool.

I'm really looking forward to hearing The Wall (if all these rumours are true). That's the sort of song I love to hear from Bruce.

Finally found a link to the song.

I don't feel swept off my feet by it at a first listen, but I think it's gonna grow on me. I think it's a fine addition to the Springsteen musical canon.

Can't wait to hear the rest of album. :)

Archived