Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

The production is excellent. Really well mixed, which is a huge positive for whatever else is coming up.

However I really don't like the song and despite that great sound, my view on it has not changed.

For me, it is still, and always will be a filler that was not good enough to get on the Greatest Hits.

Bloody Fuckbook! Whatever happened to a nice DJ playing it first on the wireless?

Come now... Facebook is saving you time, saving you money, and putting YOU, first...
Thank you for that pep talk, where do I sign up?!

Those were your words Sir...

Or at least, the first way I came to know Mr. Welles as a kid, on a Nashua TV Advert.. :D

There is no e street sound on there. They're just a marketing ploy now

Sigh...

So the "E Street Sound" isn't allowed to develop since the 1970s?

And how is a band that plays together, tours together and records together a marketing ploy?

Again, pining for the 70s and 80s is so lazy and frankly ignorant of contemporary Springsteen.

The production is excellent. Really well mixed, which is a huge positive for whatever else is coming up.

However I really don't like the song and despite that great sound, my view on it has not changed.

For me, it is still, and always will be a filler that was not good enough to get on the Greatest Hits.

Agreed, you can hear the percussion very clearly and Morello's part all the way through also.

Sigh...

And how is a band that plays together, tours together and records together a marketing ploy?

Again, pining for the 70s and 80s is so lazy and frankly ignorant of contemporary Springsteen.

Contemporary Springsteen is average at best. I doubt he would get a record deal with the tripe he throws out. Living off the past, clear as day .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the song... Completely agree with everything you said - great production but that's just about it.

Thanks for posting. Two minutes were more than enough. As the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd. Not even with horns. And I still wonder what this "release" is supposed to be about.

Sigh...

Contemporary Springsteen is average at best. I doubt he would get a record deal with the tripe he throws out. Living off the past, clear as day

The joy people get from being so negative. Amazes me.

I see his most recent stuff as a hybrid between The Seeger Sessions and more traditional R&R......songs like American Land, Wrecking Ball, etc. fit that mold, as does this version of HH.

That said, and for that reason, Morello's contribution seems jammed in the middle with no real purpose. The sound just seems out of place, IMO. It's not bad necessarily, just....I dunno....doesn't quite fit.

But maybe I am too used to the 95 version and i need to (as someone else mentioned) listen with unbiased ears.

Sigh...

Contemporary Springsteen is average at best. I doubt he would get a record deal with the tripe he throws out. Living off the past, clear as day

No joy, real disappointment if I'm honest. This song wouldn't get in Bruce's top one hundred, yet because it's new people go mad about it.

Replace "geometry" or "latin" with "Springsteen's releases post 1987" and you've got how I feel about a lot of the people on these forums.

You were alive in 1975. I get it. Well done. I'll remain jealous of you when I'm alive in the year 2075.

Can I enjoy his current output now, free from lazy critique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDm11vOb9Y

Sigh...

No joy, real disappointment if I'm honest. This song wouldn't get in Bruce's top one hundred, yet because it's new people go mad about it.

I just don't get why he woud release this song when he has loads of his own songs up his sleeve... I hope there really is a Tracks II release because otherwise this makes no sense to me...

Bloody Fuckbook! Whatever happened to a nice DJ playing it first on the wireless?

Come now... Facebook is saving you time, saving you money, and putting YOU, first...
Thank you for that pep talk, where do I sign up?!

Those were your words Sir...

Or at least, the first way I came to know Mr. Welles as a kid, on a Nashua TV Advert.. :D

I'd never seen that one. Drunk most likely. The fishfinger and peas ones are class.

The fact of the matter is that the E Street band has to evolve over time. If they just continue to sound like Darkness/River era, that may please some of us die-hard E Streeters but it won't do much for the band's career or its musical progression. I was very happy with the way the band updated itself in the early 2000s, a la The Rising and Magic and even Working On A Dream. When Bruce parted ways with O'Brien, it was clear that he wanted to keep moving the sound of the band forward.

For all purposes, I don't think it has been much of a drastic shift from The Rising era at all. Back then, we still had a lot of contemporary rhythm and beats and sounds (think "The Fuse" and "Let's Be Friends"). Sure, Wrecking Ball introduced some additional influences such as electronic looping drums and whatnot, but those are hardly 100% guaranteed. WB had a good dose of the new sound and the classic romp.

Archived