Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

It's growin' on me, lyrics are canny good, still don't like Tom Morello.

Monday morning runs to sunday night
Screaming slow me down before the new year dies
It won't take much to kill a lovin' smile
And every mother with a baby cryin in her arms singin
Give me help, give me strength
Give a soul a night of fearless sleep
Give me love, give me peace
Don't you know these days you pay for everything
Got high hopes

Comin from the cities, comin from the wild
I see a breathless army breakin like a cloud
It's gonna smother love it's gonna shoot your hopes
Before the meek inherit they'll learn to hate themselves
Singin
Got high hopes

So tell me someone what's the price
I wanna buy some time and maybe live my life
I wanna have a wife I wanna have some kids
I want to look in their eyes and know they're gonna stand a chance
Singin
Got high hopes

I think it is a good song and I am glad it is more like the live version from Australia. I really like Bruce vocals and the horns. I like Tom Morello input but when you listen to the song it stands out that it is Tom Morello and clearly someone not from the E Street Band. That is probably the point Bruce wants to make that Tom Morello is to be clearly notice in the song and probably the new album. Which I am fine with but someone who does not want too much of Tom Morello is not going to like the album if the rest of the songs are like this.

Thanks for the link BD! What's interesting to me in that article is the mention of "sources telling RS that a new album is coming early next year." So, new album or Tracks II? Or is the new album Tracks II?

I have to say that I think this is way better than the 1996 Blood Brothers EP version. This obviously fits the new band really well. This would have been a great addition to the "Wrecking Ball Tour" with the horns, and I quite like the Morello stuff. I think it would actually translate even better on stage. Can't wait to see it live and in person. I was not at all excited for an official release of a cover of a cover, but now I am excited.

I have listened to is a handful of times now. The sound is great and does bode well for any new stuff coming out but overall i am just not a fan of the song. Its clunky and the repetition of 'high hopes' is just not at all catchy. The big question is why this as the lead single? Not just the 2nd or third single but the LEAD single?

I suppose we find out shortly

Could a kind soul send me it? The link doesn't work anymore.

Don't worry, you're not missing much.
I heard it at work on my broken phone speakers. What I could hear sounded good, but it really was a case of jamming the speaker into my lug hole to get anything. Morrello came through very distinctly, as did the lead vocal and drums.

As I say, I liked what I could make out. Should be cracking in good audio.

Curiously I can still play httpsemicolonforwardslashforwardslashia601900.us.archive.org/20/items/HighhopesSpringsteen/highhopes-springsteen.mp3 on Firefox but not Safari or Chrome. Might be cached on my side. It will be out on Itunes and spotify soon enough.

Lets not analyse it to death! Like everything new we all have our take on it. For me, I enjoy it for what it is, a good song with a big, big sound and great production. Whether its from a Tracks 2, a covers album, or something else, lets just see.

Lets not analyse it to death! Like everything new we all have our take on it. For me, I enjoy it for what it is, a good song with a big, big sound and great production. Whether its from a Tracks 2, a covers album, or something else, lets just see.

+1

Just heard it, think it sounds very good!

I think it is unfair to both GL and Karsten to share the studio release here.

Shame!

If you're just playing the stream and not distributing the song I don't think there's anything wrong with posting a link. Everyone here will likely get the official release anyhow. Bruce Inc might disagree, and if they asked Karsten to take it down I'd totally understand that.

Archived