Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

I can say I absolutely love it. Love the sound that it produced. Feels amazingly good, hard to explain. I would gladly accept this on the "new" album since it is so great. I could see why people would be upset that he would re-release this again but this takes the song to another level! Great job Bruce, can't wait to hear the rest! Band was on fire!

Just finished listening twice and am grinning like a teenage school girl. I echo you, I absolutely love it. People weren't kidding when they said this song is dripping with Morello and for me that's a good thing. Sounds so fresh and modern as Frank said earlier, people may think this isn't E Street anymore but with Danny and C gone especially, the past is gone so either move forward with Bruce or don't I suppose. He's been providing entertainment for over 40 years, I couldn't care less that this a re-released cover, and I love it so there's that. Now hearing it I think it would be sad if he didn't redo it just so the critics wouldn't be able to say there's no creative spark left.

No wonder Josh couldn't stop moving at school today. Can't wait to go for a run with this bad ass song blaring through my headphones.

Production is great and so are those vocals. Didn't think they'd sound as good as in 95 but I'm glad to be wrong.

And if I have to play the comparison game, which I don't, this blows We Take Care of Our Own to smithereens for me. Which isn't to say I dislike that tune coz I don't.

After about 10 listens, I have to say I love it. Some thoughts -

- Can't stop movin.' People in my school library probably think I'm crazy. The song is infectious.

- Max is on FIRE.

- Bruce sounds strong, especially since this was recorded in middle of a tour leg

- Horns are GREAT, funky as hell.

- Percussion all around is fantastic, some real great comping going on.

- Morello also sounds FUNKY. Glad it's not some face melting solo, I like that it's just a sweet groove that persists after the initial solo.

- Roy's piano sounds great.

- Back up singers compliment Bruce wonderfully here.

Overall I think a GREAT addition to 2000's Bruce catalogue.

Summed it up dude.

After about 10 listens, I have to say I love it. Some thoughts -

- Can't stop movin.' People in my school library probably think I'm crazy. The song is infectious.

- Max is on FIRE.

- Bruce sounds strong, especially since this was recorded in middle of a tour leg

- Horns are GREAT, funky as hell.

- Percussion all around is fantastic, some real great comping going on.

- Morello also sounds FUNKY. Glad it's not some face melting solo, I like that it's just a sweet groove that persists after the initial solo.

- Roy's piano sounds great.

- Back up singers compliment Bruce wonderfully here.

Overall I think a GREAT addition to 2000's Bruce catalogue.

Summed it up dude.

You list pretty much everything I like about this song. Initially I focused on the horns and the vocals and the guitar, but after a few listens I was also struck by the great piano and drumming -- he is pushing the band out of any comfort zones! Being an E Streeter is no retirement gig! Maybe this recording-on-tour thing (if this is indeed what happened) is a great idea, the band is on fire and his voice is great. The threat is always that bands like this could be reduced to mere nostalgia acts, just reproducing themselves, so I really love that he is pushing for new sounds and arrangements. Maybe it's just me, but once or twice the horns, backing vocals and piano combo reminded me of my favourite groovy bits from Dylan's Slow Train and Shot of Love albums. Some kind of redhot, brassy, inner city gospel groove... (I am getting overexicted :rolleyes: )

I understand not everything will be everyone's cup of tea. I have never disliked any of Bruce's projects. I love some more than others, listen to some albums far more than others...

To me, the bigger picture here is new music from The Boss... Which is likely to be followed by more new music from him. Be it new compositions, covers of other peoples music, covers of his OWN music... (Imagine BITUSA without the Eighties production?) I know I will find much to love... I am just damn thankful he is still so keen to keep making new music and offering it to us, not, as someone else said, regurgitating nothing but 30 year old music as a nostalgia act.

I agree Steve. And because he stays creative, keeps on doing new things, the old songs also sound new, or reinvigorated; they get a new context, become part of new narratives. (Hey, I hope the physical CD, whatever it may be, reach my local Musica before the concerts in January. Yesterday I wanted to buy the new Arcade Fire and they still didn't have it on the shelves...)

I agree Steve. And because he stays creative, keeps on doing new things, the old songs also sound new, or reinvigorated; they get a new context, become part of new narratives. (Hey, I hope the physical CD, whatever it may be, reach my local Musica before the concerts in January. Yesterday I wanted to buy the new Arcade Fire and they still didn't have it on the shelves...)

Amen... I'm fortunate to have a fellow music junkie/mate as a contact at the Look & Listen in Fourways, but ja... I can give you a laundry list of new stuff I've downloaded from iTunes but still not seen the physical CD's of...

Although the Musica in Sandton does have Wrecking Ball on vinyl.... Christmas is coming! :D

*EDIT* I would hope that in light of the momentous occasion of Bruce visiting us for the first time ever, Sony SA will pull out all the stops to make sure the shelves are stocked with Springsteen related merchandise, including whatever new product there might be...

...Including a limited edition South African Tour Edition of said new product, with bonus tracks? :)

I really don't know why so many people are complaining about this....the "sound" is very similar to something that would have been on Wrecking Ball. To me, it sounds great. Bruce's voice sounds better than it did on Wrecking Ball and Tom's parts are great.

For me, it's not about the sound. Wrecking Ball is without any doubt one of his best albums. It's about the song - it's not good. And it has nothing to do with my not wanting Bruce to become innovative or modern (no nostalgia here) but I just don't see any point in RE-RECORDING A COVER SONG, which in my opinion is not even good enough to be part of his catalog. As someone else wrote: it's a toilet break song if played live at a show (would rather stay for "Sunny Day" than this). Please don't crucify me but that's how I feel about it. And I'm fully aware that we should be grateful for everything he releases but I'd like to see him put out his own material or a cover we don't yet have a studio recording of (like Trapped).

Amen... I'm fortunate to have a fellow music junkie/mate as a contact at the Look & Listen in Fourways, but ja... I can give you a laundry list of new stuff I've downloaded from iTunes but still not seen the physical CD's of...

Although the Musica in Sandton does have Wrecking Ball on vinyl.... Christmas is coming! :D

*EDIT* I would hope that in light of the momentous occasion of Bruce visiting us for the first time ever, Sony SA will pull out all the stops to make sure the shelves are stocked with Springsteen related merchandise, including whatever new product there might be...

...Including a limited edition South African Tour Edition of said new product, with bonus tracks? :)

You've got high hopes! :) In Cape Town the better Look & Listen branches all closed down, the Waterfront CD warehouse became Musica, and Musica is generally pathetic. In March 2012 I had an argument with the cashier: he told me there is no Springsteen album called Wrecking Ball, neither as a new release nor as a forthcoming release; I tried to convince him that it not only exists, it is Nr 1 on the US charts and I have heard all the songs... Frustrating. I still have everything up to Lucky Town on vinyl; it's time to complete my collection! They're just very expensive here...

I really don't know why so many people are complaining about this....the "sound" is very similar to something that would have been on Wrecking Ball. To me, it sounds great. Bruce's voice sounds better than it did on Wrecking Ball and Tom's parts are great.

For me, it's not about the sound. Wrecking Ball is without any doubt one of his best albums. It's about the song - it's not good. And it has nothing to do with my not wanting Bruce to become innovative or modern (no nostalgia here) but I just don't see any point in RE-RECORDING A COVER SONG, which in my opinion is not even good enough to be part of his catalog. As someone else wrote: it's a toilet break song if played live at a show (would rather stay for "Sunny Day" than this). Please don't crucify me but that's how I feel about it. And I'm fully aware that we should be grateful for everything he releases but I'd like to see him put out his own material or a cover we don't yet have a studio recording of (like Trapped).

He re-recorded it because HE likes it. I don't think there needs to be any other reason.

He re-recorded it because HE likes it. I don't think there needs to be any other reason.

With that attitude we might as well close the site never mind the thread

With that attitude we might as well close the site never mind the thread

Why? You can still talk about how much you like or dislike it but if you're wondering why he re-recorded I'm pretty sure that'll be your answer right there.

Could anybody be so kind to either send me the song as pm or point me in the direction of a new link? Getting quite antsy by reading all these posts and not being able to listen. Absolutely love the 90's version.

Thanks,

Romas

I like Bruce's first recording of this song. And yes the 2013 version is a great representation of the ESB of today.

But to me it depends on what context this song is going to take. One off single? Great. Part of a rarities/covers compilation? Excellent. Lead single to a new studio album? I'll be disappointed.

Not that I don't want a new studio album. But the song just isn't that strong for me personally. I'd like something new and original to lead the next studio album.

Archived