Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

I know this may sound stupid but.....

I think it's a good song. I like the lyrics. I like the production. I like Morello.

I just dont like the prospect of a covers album. Really hope this a side project to accompany a new release of original material.

I think this song would fit better on Tracks 2 type of record. I have no idea what Bruce has in store, but if HH is on some kind of outtakes/covers album released in January, I'm very sceptical that there would be another record out in January.

Why would he release this and not something from THE new album? I mean if there is not a second single release very soon.

Don't get the Morello resistance.

A guitarist that will add a real edge. Funny. If you question Bruce's choice of song or quality of song you hear about how we should embrace his vision and choice etc.

Do the same with Morello then. Embrace the decison. Bruce clearly likes him.

He'll bring more musically the Stevie does.

I've just listened 3 times back to back via the Vimeo link, through Iphone headphones on an underpowered laptop which meant it kept buffering a lot.

Comparing it with what we got at the time, I think I prefer the '95 version, there's too much over production on this new version for me. But I accept that's likely to be at least partly cos I'm not listening to proper audio.

I also heard the similarity to Atlantic City Seeger version which I thought was ok but not as good as some other Seeger versions of Bruce's original songs. And I heard a rockier, faster version of Part Man Part Monkey. Again I think I preferred the original based on the sound being produced at the time.

I'm not familiar with what Morello did for the ESB or anything else he's done but for all the raving I've just read about his contribution to this I was quite disappointed, I thought it was pretty basic.

7/10 for me.

I've just listened 3 times back to back via the Vimeo link, through Iphone headphones on an underpowered laptop which meant it kept buffering a lot.

Comparing it with what we got at the time, I think I prefer the '95 version, there's too much over production on this new version for me. But I accept that's likely to be at least partly cos I'm not listening to proper audio.

I also heard the similarity to Atlantic City Seeger version which I thought was ok but not as good as some other Seeger versions of Bruce's original songs. And I heard a rockier, faster version of Part Man Part Monkey. Again I think I preferred the original based on the sound being produced at the time.

I'm not familiar with what Morello did for the ESB or anything else he's done but for all the raving I've just read about his contribution to this I was quite disappointed, I thought it was pretty basic.

Go listen to Bombtrack or Bullet in the Head for further insight.

7/10 for me.

The best thing about the track is the guitar solo, which goes some way in proving that Tom is a worthy creative addition to the set-up, especially when you add in some of his work on Wrecking Ball. People complaining that this doesn't sound like the E Street Band might need to start playing around with the idea that Bruce has realised that as a recording band they no longer have what it takes to push things beyond making by the numbers rock records.

I don't like that shrieky whiny scratchy stuff. I hear a noise like that, I go looking for a can of WD40. Just play it properly, man.

I know you think Bruce has made a big mistake here.

Tom kicks ringpiece.

Don't get the Morello resistance.

A guitarist that will add a real edge. Funny. If you question Bruce's choice of song or quality of song you hear about how we should embrace his vision and choice etc.

Do the same with Morello then. Embrace the decison. Bruce clearly likes him.

He'll bring more musically the Stevie does.

The last thing this band needs is yet another guitar, regardless of who it is

A couple of observations on the whole High Hopes & Tom Morello thing from someone who's seen the song performed live 5 times and seen Tom Morello perform as a member of The E Street Band 7 times.

I was shocked to hear it the first time. I have the Blood Brothers e.p. and knew the song, but even so, it took me a minute to recognise it and then I was scratching my head. Why bring that old cover out? But it was huge live. Perfectly suited for the E Street Band on stage. You won't get that from looking at a mediocre Youtube clip. For the doubters,I hope you get the chance to hear it live - I realise he has given up playing the Northern Hemisphere, but you never know.

And, I've said it before so I won't go on about it. Morello brings a fantastic stage presence. I know we Australians aren't really qualified to comment because we didn't see them on the Darkness tour, but I loved the freshness he bought to the shows. And clearly Bruce loved it, which is one of the reasons the Australian shows were so successful.

I know that in general (and I don't mean everyone) it's human nature to fear change. I'm glad Bruce doesn't though. That's why I want to see every show I can. Because every show is different.

Good point Humphrey, I'm too glad that Bruce doesn't fear change. Lawd would that get boring.

I've seen many Aussies btw comment that they were very skeptical of getting Tom in OZ, especially since Stevie wouldn't be there, but not one of those people said afterwards that it wasn't a great move that Bruce brought Tom along.

For those stating that the band doesn't need a fourth guitarist, I can agree with that but there's been nothing to suggest that Tom is joining the band. Where is that coming from? Sure he's been featured on some songs now and has been a guest at shows and a fill in, but we don't even know yet who is playing on HH guitar wise besides Tom.

There was this Bruce Springsteen Google+ hangout tonight, with three seemingly random guys? They might be more important, excuse me if I'm overlooking whom they are.

(EDIT: It's from Blog It All Night)

Anywho, I'm only 20 something minutes in, but one of the guys claims that the album will have 13 tracks on it. If this is true, I'd imagine it'd put to rest a huge Tracks II type deal. Unless such a collection is a shorter release?

<-- The whole "hangout" is here. I'm too tired to watch the rest tonight. Feel free to sift through it.

(The above rumor starts at 18 minutes in or so, maybe 19)

Hi, I'm new to GL, but not new to Bruce :)

I've been reading these comments with interest (and various other feeds on the web)

I can't wait to listen to this track as the stream to the preview track is now down... So as yet I can only go by the live version in Sydney. I hope it's an improvement on the 1995 version?

I've High Hopes indeed...

Hi, I'm new to GL, but not new to Bruce :)

I've been reading these comments with interest (and various other feeds on the web)

I can't wait to listen to this track as the stream to the preview track is now down... So as yet I can only go by the live version in Sydney. I hope it's an improvement on the 1995 version?

I've High Hopes indeed...

From another noob, welcome!

Not sure if you read the site regulations but no photos of yourself with Bruce are allowed, as they create jealousy amongst people like me who've never had the luck or pleasure... ;)

And my personal opinion, I love the new version... It's really grown on me.

Archived