Greasy Lake Community

High Hopes - FIRST LISTEN

Nicholas

CN made a mistake in my opinion calling it a Tracks 2 type project.

Yes, unfortunately too many people took that literally. It was clear from the rest of her tweet that she just meant a compilation of some kind.

On Tracks II - I imagine (I don't know) that it will be a shorter, single album affair vs. a boxset. I don't see how JLM would have had the time to produce a bigger project.

They've had all the time in the world - ever since the first Tracks set was issued! As I said elsewhere, I bet Bruce has been tinkering about with it on and off for years.

As to your point about a single album, I think that could well be the way they go. If they are planning a multi-disc Tracks 2, it would make sense to put out a selection of the songs on a single disc, as they did with 18 Tracks - but issue it before the multi as a taster/trailer.

Just played it... and I'm LOVIN' it! Myfingers and toes are tapping like a mad man.

I need to play it loud with some decent bass tonight... My Mac just doesn't do it justice. (Like the 'shaft' style guitar around the 3:30 too)

Thanks for sharing the link... :D

Not saying it's in any way similar musically but for some reason the feeling I get listening to that a couple of times reminds me of how I felt listening to HT/LT when they first appeared.

In retrospect, that could be a good thing as I've grown to like a lot of those tracks over time.

Hi I'm new to this site and have been an avid listener since devils and dust, brilliant album.

Has anyone got the link to high hopes, sorry only found this site today.

I'm a 27 year old man with 2 kids; and yes I cried at "dream baby dream".

I'm bracing for the abuse lol

Never cared too much for the original version so saw little to no need to re-recorded it again. This version is better, might be even better live however I can't believe this is the first single from the new album, which both Billboard and Rolling Stone are saying is likely. High Hopes sounds like it could've fit on Wrecking Ball so if the sound of the new album is similar to WB that's fine with me, great album however hopefully something new is released as the first single and hopefully Dream Baby Dream is NOT on the album!! High Hopes is no We Take Care Of Our Own as a kick off single.

I don't like that shrieky whiny scratchy stuff. I hear a noise like that, I go looking for a can of WD40. Just play it properly, man.

I know you think Bruce has made a big mistake here.

Tom kicks ringpiece.

Morello is a one trick pony scratching on the guitar. It gets old REAL fast.

You obviously know nothing about him.

I don't like that shrieky whiny scratchy stuff. I hear a noise like that, I go looking for a can of WD40. Just play it properly, man.

Tom kicks ringpiece.

I'm not crazy about another guitarist being added on a regular basis but for the occasional song or show it's cool. All I know about Morello is his stuff with Rage Against the Machine, which was an utter crap band in my musical opinion. So for me the jury's out and I'm willing to keep an open mind.

He's the best thing on the song. Vibes said the other day that he hoped he'd add something rhythmically. He does, heaps added. It's great playing.

I'm not a fan of twiddly guitar soloing, but Morello does seem to avoid the obvious fret wanks, in favour of a little more invention.

Overall I like the song, though I think I prefer the original Bruce version. The horns are fine, but Danny is finer.

Adding to that in a sense, it surprises me (I know I said this earlier) that some notice very little to no difference between the two versions. The new one has a different beat, different instrumentation and is guitar heavy as opposed to the keyboards. And boy does it sound good cranked through the speakers.

Tom kicks ringpiece.

. All I know about Morello is his stuff with Rage Against the Machine, which was an utter crap band in my musical opinion.

Yep

All I know about Morello is his stuff with Rage Against the Machine, which was an utter crap band in my musical opinion.

I strongly agree. Check out his solo album World Wide Rebel Songs. He's not all screechy guitar. He has a fantastic folk soul and knows how to write a melody and tell stories.

They're very distinct. One thing I was surprised at. The new version seems a bit slower. Am I imagining that?

It's definitely slower.

To me High Hopes '95 sounds like a song recorded by a band that pretty much just learned it and are recording it on the fly. Nothing wrong with it though. High Hopes '13 (AKA The most talked about Springsteen song in history) is a song played by a band who've played it live and found their own groove and 'take' on it. Equally not bad...

Whether one likes the song or not, I don't think one can fault the playing and the singing... I listened to it on the way to work again today, and it does lit up a Friday morning! Steve, I see Dan Patlansky is opening for Springsteen in Johannesburg. Surprised to see there is an opening act.

Whether one likes the song or not, I don't think one can fault the playing and the singing... I listened to it on the way to work again today, and it does lit up a Friday morning! Steve, I see Dan Patlansky is opening for Springsteen in Johannesburg. Surprised to see there is an opening act.

I was just about to post this! :)

Archived