Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmw

laptop charger!

Hi,

My Acer laptop doesn't seem to be charging, I ordered a new charger this still doesn't seem to be working, any ideas?

Many thanks

Hi,

My Acer laptop doesn't seem to be charging, I ordered a new charger this still doesn't seem to be working, any ideas?

Many thanks

Are you saying the battery isn't charging (dead battery possibly) or are you sayiing the mains charger won't power your laptop when connected?

Hi,

Many thanks

Are you saying the battery isn't charging (dead battery possibly) or are you sayiing the mains charger won't power your laptop when connected?

I thought it was the charger, but now not sure, I switched off the laptop and left it on charge then checked, it switched off as if it had charged, I can see a cross next to the battery, hopefully this makes sense. :) Thank you.

Take the battery out and plug in the mains charger (it's perfectly safe to run a laptop without a battery). If it powers up then it's a battery problem (dead cells probably).

if it won't power up, then it's either the charger (unlikely since you bought new one (compatible hopefully) ),or worst case scenario (in terms of repair) a damaged DC input jack socket (ie where you plug in the charger to the laptop).

Take the battery out and plug in the mains charger (it's perfectly safe to run a laptop without a battery). If it powers up then it's a battery problem (dead cells probably).

if it won't power up, then it's either the charger (unlikely since you bought new one (compatible hopefully) ),or worst case scenario (in terms of repair) a damaged DC input jack socket (ie where you plug in the charger to the laptop).

It works without the battery.

You'll almost certainly need a new one then but google your Acer model with "battery not charging" just in case it's something else.

If you do need a new battery best avoid the cheap ones (usually dispatched from China).

You'll almost certainly need a new one then but google your Acer model with "battery not charging" just in case it's something else.

If you do need a new battery best avoid the cheap ones (usually dispatched from China).

Ok, will do, would it be ok to order one from Amazon if they have one? and thank you again.

Ok, will do, would it be ok to order one from Amazon if they have one? and thank you again.

Buying a new battery is usually trial because there's so many cheapo replacements out there (including on Amazon). It's best to buy an original replacement but I don't know if Acer has an official parts supplier. Try the laptops instructions that came with it t see or use google (but google is full of ads for cheap inferior batteries purporting to be official replacements). If it's not that old, maybe PC World might have one.

Buying a new battery is usually trial because there's so many cheapo replacements out there (including on Amazon). It's best to buy an original replacement but I don't know if Acer has an official parts supplier. Try the laptops instructions that came with it t see or use google (but google is full of ads for cheap inferior batteries purporting to be official replacements). If it's not that old, maybe PC World might have one.

Ok, it's about 4yrs old I think. Thank you.