Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HelloNewman

Gigs 2014

Some pics from last nights Teenage Cancer Trust gig

post-9450-0-06390900-1415784512_thumb.jpStrypes and Wilko Johnson

post-9450-0-28990600-1415784544_thumb.jpAmy McDonald post-9450-0-43411300-1415784600_thumb.jpRicky Wilson and Phil Daniels post-9450-0-17932600-1415784654_thumb.jpGeddy Lee post-9450-0-58733800-1415784760_thumb.jpLiam Gallagher

post-9450-0-80315400-1415784784_thumb.jpEddie Vedder post-9450-0-76839500-1415784996_thumb.jpVarious

post-9450-0-66983700-1415785043_thumb.jp Roger Daltrey post-9450-0-05394200-1415785067_thumb.jpLead singers of Def Leppard,Kaiser Chiefs,Rush and Pearl Jam

2014: All In Vancouver, BC

Kings Of Leon - March 30th

Franz Ferdinand April 25th

Lana Del Rey May 25th

Kraftwerk - July 3rd

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators - Aug 15th

Jack White - Aug 28th

Interpol Sept 15th

The Pretty Reckless Oct 5th

The Black Keys - Oct 30th

Motley Crue - Nov 21st

Gaslight on Saturday

Booked tickets today for the Who at Hyde park, supported by Weller!

2014: All In Vancouver, BC

Motley Crue - Nov 21st

How was the show?

Solid double bill featuring Alice Cooper who heated up the crowd with over an hour of solid hits and performance stage tricks. Motley Crue played a great cross section of songs from almost every Vince album and sounded tight as always with Tommy on the kit and Nikki on the bass. They had lots of pyro and plenty of hydraulic stage action. Ended off the show with the 80's power ballad classic "Home Sweet Home". The best Crue show I ever saw was still 1989 Dr. Feelgood tour. But hey after this many years and 5 Crue shows they still know how to entertain a crowd.

http://www.straight.com/music/775931/motley-crue-goes-out-brainless-blaze-glory-vancouver

Nov 30th - Martyn Joseph, Bush Hall

Are you there yet, I can't see you!

10690202_10152591888400369_8179792415580

Ha, ha! That's a 'before' picture! It was brilliant. We sat right at the front - quite a few Bruce fans in attendance, but we really appreciated him for his own work. I knew I had to see him again after the 'Tires Rushing by in the Rain' show that was so incredible. He threw in a few Bruce songs - No Surrender, a bit of Dancin', Tom Joad and Blood Brothers and he really made them his own - not just a 'Bruce cover'. Loved hearing his own songs - he's such a hard worker, and at 2 hours, 20 minutes, he was worth every penny of our £15 tickets!

Anyone living south of London - he's playing Eastbourne on Thursday. You really should go.

Just another couple of things :) I got quite choked when he sang No Surrender. Dunno if it was the couple of vinos I'd had or the thought of maybe not seeing Bruce any time soon.

And Cardiff Bay is a really wonderful song.

Carry on.

The Who - Live At Leeds

10429454_966655790029397_875423065880142

with Ringo's lad on drums

10432485_966655716696071_217730123936728

Great show by Courtney Bartnett yesterday night for my 46th birthday, in a tiny little club in my hometown of Lyon. The girl's definitely got a little something that might one day make her a major act : good songs, good band, stage presence ... Check her out. And opening act Money For Rope wasn't bad either.

Further proof that Ricky Ross is only in Deacon Blue because the job of being Bruce Springsteen is already taken.

1513751_10152843997481211_86228932974270

So Foo Fighters played Cape Town Wednesday night. Epic show from all accounts. Tonight they play FNB Stadium, where I saw Bruce on the 1st of Feb this year. Did not have the budget to go tonight but last night a mate phoned to tell me he got me a ticket...

SO I'm leaving shortly to see Grohl and Co... Pretty damn excited considering I had already resigned myself to missing it! :D

Further proof that Ricky Ross is only in Deacon Blue because the job of being Bruce Springsteen is already taken.

1513751_10152843997481211_86228932974270

Loaded was an afterthought? :o

Ben Howard at the Brixton Academy last Thursday was my last gig of the year... fucking phenomenal!!!

Ben Howard at the Brixton Academy last Thursday was my last gig of the year... fucking phenomenal!!!

He is playing here next March!!! Very excited to see him and that band...

I have to go with mum in order to bring the average age of the audience down sufficiently to comply with the Arena's safety certificate. <_<

10849886_973225542705755_429646946820654

Now listen! I clicked the Like button because, well, not because, you know ... not because I like HIM, but because you're, you know, being nice to your mum :)

Keeping in line with the Christmas spirit and all that ...

He is playing here next March!!! Very excited to see him and that band...

You'll have a blast. I'm seeing him again in April!

A year bereft of Bruce, 2014 certainly was sparse from a concert perspective. Of the 10 concerts booked, I only managed to see 7 of them, and 5 of them have been in the last two months. November and December have been an extravaganza of Scottishness having seen Twin Atlantic, Biffy Clyro and then finally Deacon Blue two weeks ago.

Twin Atlantic at the Roundhouse in Camden were great. A young band with loads of energy. Their lyrics aren't ground breaking, but they put on a good show and I enjoyed it even though I seem to be pretty much twice the age of the average audience member.

At the start of December, the Biffy shows in Glasgow were something else. There are not many bands I would travel that distance to see - only Bruce and Biffy fall into that category. I knew these were going to be special shows from the moment they went on sale. Pure luck meant I was at my computer when the pre-sale code came through and when the tickets went on sale half an hour later. Many fans were unlucky and did not receive the pre-sale code from the fan-site and if they did, did not see the tickets were on sale in time as there was no announcement of the sale. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time as the tickets soon became like gold dust. I managed to get tickets for all 3 nights (and actually felt a bit guilty for lucking out so much when people who had been fans for much longer than me missed out).

Biffy were playing 3 shows over 3 nights in a venue small for them, Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow. Each night they would play 2 albums plus b-sides. Tickets had the lead bookers name on and you had to show your ID to get in - a great way to deter the touts, but slightly inconvenient if people's plans changed as it was hard to change the names on the tickets. It was a long way to travel from London, but I knew it was an opportunity not to be missed. It would turn out to be an expensive weekend, but worth every single penny and well, what better way to wish myself a happy 40th than with such a unique event.

A few weeks before the shows, the attendees had the opportunity to vote on which songs they wanted played - another great idea. I opted for a mix of my favourite songs that I hadn't yet heard played (largely from the older albums) and b-sides from the newer albums. Having become a fan in 2010, I had heard songs from Opposites and Only Revolutions played many times and while I adore The Captain and other show regulars, I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and luckily other fans had the same idea - as the setlists would come to reflect a great array of songs.

It was such a special 3 nights and it felt like a privilege to attend. It was so exciting to have no clue what would be played each night (beyond the obvious - i.e. the songs would come from the particularly selected albums and associated b-sides), kind of reminiscent of the experience of seeing a Bruce show when pretty much anything could be pulled out of the bag.

It's hard to put into words just what those shows meant. There were so many memories and special moments. The Biffy lyrics adorning the steps of the Barrowlands. The joy of 2/3 nights knowing that you would be back again the next night. Break a Butterfly on a Wheel. Love Has a Diameter singalong. Bodies in Flight opener (one of my votes). Grinning the whole way through Night 2. Now the Action is on Fire stage dives. Ben and James singing together in Diary of Always. Getting most of my votes played (the ones I could remember - I changed my mind so many times that I can't remember what I settled on).

There was such power, intensity, noise and energy in the shows. Biffy play shows like nothing else I go and see, it was pure magic. Nothing like Bruce, but they got to me on a similar level, never on exactly the same level - over 25 years of fandom versus 4, but still so special and so many great memories.

Deacon Blue in London were fab, but the crowd were a little hard to rouse into action. Still had a great time and the new songs sounded really great, although you can't beat jumping up and down to Real Gone Kid for old times sake (doing my jumping while I still can!). Even got a snippet of Working on the Highway, which amused me.

A great end to a largely quiet 2014. Let's hope 2015 is a bit more interesting - thinking there will be some more Frank Turner, and maybe Imagine Dragons. Already got tickets for Twin Atlantic and Take That. Probably no Bruce of Biffy so I going to have to get my concert fix somewhere else :-)