Greasy Lake Community

Bruce on board with downloadable concerts?

According to Backstreets' preview of Bruce's Sirius XM interview debuting on Friday, 1/10 @ 11am ET, Bruce is close to authorizing downloadable concerts. Here's the passage from the article:

"Landau fills me in on something else in the works: downloadable concert recordings. Plans aren't totally hammered out yet, but it's something they want to try, potentially after each show, and he says Bruce is on board with the idea. Active discussions are ongoing and in the logistics phase; there are even hopes to make something happen in time for the next leg. Landau clearly understands that this is something hardcore fans have been clamoring for. (Though after fans, for years, have continued to point to what bands like Pearl Jam have been doing, would you believe it was a conversation Bruce had with Rob Thomas that greased the wheels? Well, whatever it takes.) "We're trying to keep the surprises coming," Jon says. "I think we are." "

My only hope, because I'm an old-school guy who wants a physical copy of everything, is that they come in a form that makes for easy burning to CD.

I think most, if not all of us hope that this will be true.

Matchbox 20 (Rob Thomas is mentioned) makes the show available on a thumb drive about 30-45 minutes after the show. The cost is reasonable, 15 maybe 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

I would think the necessary equipment would pay for itself VERY quickly, making it a nearly 100% profit item for Bruce Inc.

Fingers crossed that this happens

Bruce should just drop these live records out of his website. It's so simple.

Like one of his records he's working on, one day just do a Bowie or Beyonce and just make it available to purchase. People would pay the money to get new music, would stop immediate sharing of illegal links then.

If you woke up today and you could download a Flac of a correctly mixed Winterland for $20 - most of us would do it. It's a no brainer.

Found it, this is one we got from a previous tour

My only issue with releasing a gig 45 mins after a show is how well mixed it would be. Can't see Bruce allowing that. I hope I'm wrong.

Undoubtedly, there is no mix, it is straight from the soundboard if delivered that quickly

My preference is the same as yours, make it available for download through his site and let people pay for the shows they want, one or all.

Even if the download wasn't available for a week, that is still way better than what we can get right now.

No doubt there will still be a place for audience recordings, many people (including me) prefer some crowd noise, but don't want the drunk guy singing over Bruce ruining the recording either.

As long as they don't offer the CD/MP3's straight after the show. In my experience those recordings are no better than fan recorded bootlegs.

Using Pearl Jam as an example again. They make the show available for download or physical copy a couple of months afterwards. And the quality is always excellent. Gives you something to look forward to once the post show depression kicks in.

This is great news!!

If have some official bootlegs from Mark Knopfler from his past tours straight from the SBD and they sound great. So I´m very happy if springsteen will do that also

Wonder if they'd get around to releasing some of the classic shows or if they'd only be current ones. I can think of quite a few I'd like to have professional mixes of, including Winterland.

Once they have the platform set up it doesn't matter if it's a new or old show. I believe if they do this they will at some point add older shows.

Long overdue i'd say. makes far more sense to sell them through the site, allowing time to sort them out correctly. Doing that would also mean fans could buy recordings of gigs they weren't at but liked the setlist of.

Bloody hell - if this happens can you imagine how broke we'll all be?! Ha ha!

I'd rather they open the vaults and release classic concerts, either audio or video, if they're in better quality than what's generally available. I don't really need each new show in full. If something unusual happens I can watch it the next day or so anyway.

Sounds like they are excited about the invention of the wheel.

I wouldnt be buying todays shows......but start putting up the shows from 1972 on a thumb drive or cd with no mixing, plain old soundboard and I'll buy every one.

Archived