Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossman66

A new CD each week - Advice please

Hi people

I made a New Year's Resolution I think I can keep this year - I want to buy one new cd each week this year.

When I was a kid I thought each year that I'd buy all the No1 singles during the year, but I never achieved it because there was always some rubbish like Mr Blobby for example that I couldn't bring myself to buy

The intention is to buy a strictly 'NEW' cd each week, but I've already had to buy a re-release (not my preferred option) as that was all there was week commencing 30th Dec 2013, so re-releases are allowed but not my ideal option.

I'm intending to make my selection based on things I like, reviews, friends suggestions etc

So far this year then I've bought

30th Dec - Slayer - Seasons In the Abyss (re-release) - Not me I'm afraid

6th Jan - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out At Jagbags : &

Gray & Wyatt - Naming The Darkness (I'd ordered this but it hadn't arrived) - Liked them both

13th Jan - Bruce High Hopes - Love it of course! &

Mark Lanegan - Anthology 1989-2011 - it was OK but a bit samey (I wasn't sure if Bruce counted as I'd definately have bought that ordinarily, lol)

I suspect I'm likely to buy quite a bit of stuff I don't enjoy but hoping to discover something I really like along the way

If you Lakers help me with choosing a cd each week, I'll post a short review on Fridays or Saturdays.

This week I'm leaning towards Sophie Ellis Bextor (on the strength of the single), Mary Chapin- Carpenter (but isn't that re-makes?) or Lucinda Williams (but isn't that a re-release?)

Any suggestions for this week please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=br_nf_2_more?ie=UTF8&field-releasedate=1y-7y&node=229816&rank=salesrank&pf_rd_p=374099107&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=297457&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0ZX4SGJ69GEZHY6ZVNF6

Bossman

Mark, there's a link to a new duo, Mona Lisa Twins, on this page somewhere. Very nice stuff.

Mark, there's a link to a new duo, Mona Lisa Twins, on this page somewhere. Very nice stuff.

Thanks Paul, is it out tomorrow?

Why don't you buy a membership for Napster or Spotify? That way you have much more chance of spotting something new and less clutter.

Out tomorrow, although even this features new recordings of old songs

71hM3CSN%2BaL._SL1500_.jpg

I saw that & commented in my post, but as you say, it's re-makes. I want to stick to all new releases as far as possible, lol

I saw that & commented in my post, but as you say, it's re-makes. I want to stick to all new releases as far as possible, lol

Whoops!

Got caught out not reading posts properly again m0921.gif

I liked the review of Mutual Benefit, but not so sure about the clips on Amazon.

Think I may go & get the new 'Against Me' cd. Any fans of them here?

I liked the review of Mutual Benefit, but not so sure about the clips on Amazon.

Think I may go & get the new 'Against Me' cd. Any fans of them here?

Hi Bossman66. Coincidentally Bruce has mentioned them in his recent interview. He said there song "Black Me Out," is a fantastic song.

Transgender Dysphoria Blues- Against Me.

Let your freak flag fly.

Do you like the blues? The Leo Welch album 'Sabougla Voices' just out is really good. Cool backstory too, he's 81 and it's his first record.

Great project, by the way!

I got 'Against Me' - review coming Fri or Saturday.

Next week looks like Gaslight's b-Sides album unless anyone has a better or more interesting idea?

Bossman

I was going to suggest Gaslight Anthem for next week but you got there before me!

I was going to suggest Gaslight Anthem for next week but you got there before me!

I've not really decided what to do in these weeks. I'd have bought Gaslight ordinarily, so I'm not sure whether I should be buying something else that's 'new' to me. Same thing happened with High Hopes of course. i bought something else that week, as I set out, but it's gonna get very expensive, as opposed to quite expensive, if I buy an extra item every time there's something I'd have bought anyway, lol

Look out for the new Eddi Reader album on 3 February

51b%2B6L9n9bL.jpg

This week I bought ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ by ‘Against Me’ & it’s the best thing I’ve bought so far in this series other than Bruce.

First off then, let’s get to the elephant in the room. The singer & front man of Against Me was Tom Gabel. He is now known as Laura Jane Grace after coming out as a Transgender since their last album ‘White Crosses’ in 2010. I have very little knowledge, or opinion in fact, of Transgender Issues & I’ve no intention of judging. When I worked at the Employment Tribunal we had a high profile Transgender unfair dismissal claim & I know there was a Transgender case at my work around the time I joined Royal Mail, but other than that, I don’t particularly understand. I can say that ‘Against Me’ certainly don’t hide away from the issue, the first 2 tracks being the title track & ‘True Trans Soul Rebel’ and the whole album touches on the issue.

I’m here to judge the music & I have to say this album which clocks in at 29 mins, rocks from start to finish, with the sole exception being the acoustic slower ‘Two Coffins’, & I really enjoyed it a lot. I’ve certainly played it more than anything else I bought this year (except Bruce again) & it’s also the only album I’ve added some tracks from to my iTunes library.

1) Transgender Dysphoria Blues – Out of the gate then they confront the transgender issue with angry lyrics such as ‘You’ve got no cunt to strut, You’ve got No Ass to shake, You want them to see you like they see every other girl, they just see a faggot’. It’s angry & loud but has some melody to it too.

2) True Trans Soul Rebel – I posted a you tube of this one earlier this week, one of my 3 favourite tracks on the album. Great chorus that I love, ‘Who's gonna take you home tonight?W ho's gonna take you home? Does god bless your transsexual heart, True Trans Soul Rebel?’

3) Unconditional Love – Irrespective of gender, or sexual orientation, anyone can identify with the need for unconditional love & the sadness at the heart of the chorus ‘Even if your love was unconditional, It still wouldn't be enough to save me’

4) Drinking With The Jocks – The most angry song so far, feels to me like a rant against straight guys, or perhaps even resignation at not remaining a macho man herself

5) Obama Bin Laden As The Crucified Christ – Well I don’t really like this one much. Unless I’m misreading it it’s just a warning to Osama, ‘You’re Gonna Hang, You’re Gonna Hang’

6) Fuck My Life 666 – 6 songs in & no letting up still. The second over the top title in a row, but this song is a real anthem, maybe my favourite track on it. The kind of beat you wanna pump your fist along to with a great guitar riff to boot. See attached you tube clip to hear it.

7) Dead Friend – Pretty straight forward rock song with the end of the chorus ‘God damn it. God damn, I miss my dead friend.’ A bit Green Day like to my ears. OK

8) Two Coffins – So then we come to the acoustic ballad. I’m not sure what to make of this. I like the message, but not so much the song itself. It’s very simple subject about 2 friends & their eventual inevitable death, ‘“Two coffins to sleep / One for you, one for me / We'll get there eventually.”

9) Paralytic States – A really nice rock song. Possibly the best lyrically on the record. Try this verse & chorus:

Spread out face down on those stained, cheap hotel sheets
She spent the last years of her life running from the boy she used to be
Cut her face wide open, shaved the bone down, then pumped her lips up exaggerated,
A fucked up kind of feminine

Paralytic states of dependency
Our waking life's just a living dream
Agitated states of amazement
Never quite the woman that she wanted to be
Never quite the woman that she wanted to be

I hope this isn’t a pre-curser to a sad end for Laura Jane. It certainly seems to hint at a fragile state of mind in my opinion

10) Black Me Out – The third of my favourite tracks on here (I’m biased to anything Bruce likes I guess, lol). Love the driving guitar though & she spits the lyrics out:

I don't want to see the world that way anymore,
I don't want to feel that weak and insecure.
As if you were my fucking pimp,
As if I was your fucking whore.

Black me out.
I want to piss on the walls of your house,
I want to chop those brass rings off your fat fucking fingers.
As if you were a kingmaker.
Black me out.

I have to say that on the whole I love this album. I’m not sure how far Tom/Laura intends to go with the transgender process. This band have a few albums out. I shall certainly get the previous one 'White Crosses', which has been recommended to me this week. Were she to have her voice altered, that’d be a huge step for a singer in an established band. Without that it’ll be interesting to see how sales compare to previous efforts, not that I guess they’ve ever been huge here in the UK.

The nearest I get to punk is probably ‘The Clash’, ‘Green Day’ & maybe ‘Gaslight Anthem’ (who started under that genre umbrella). This is highly recommended & I bet that’ll shock some of my friends……………………

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=br_nf_2_more?ie=UTF8&field-releasedate=3y-9y&node=229816&rank=salesrank&pf_rd_p=374099107&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=297457&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0GTQ7NM3GKC8RCGAVT19

So, what shall I get next week?

I see Rosanne Cash is slated for 10th Feb in the UK. The links I saw on another thread looked good for that week!

Bossman

There's a very good 4 Star review of this in the new Mojo:

Look out for the new Eddi Reader album on 3 February

51b%2B6L9n9bL.jpg

This week I bought ‘No Depression’ by Uncle Tupelo (re-issue)

So what did I know about them before? Not a lot. I knew they were ‘Americana’ or ‘Country Rock’ & I knew Jeff Tweedy was involved & that he went on to form Wilco (who I believe are a similar genre). I knw very little about Wilco either, other than they are very highly rated & I once saw them early on (I think Summerteeth was just about to be released) supporting Oasis in the UK. I also knew that I loved the name Uncle Tupelo (birthplace of the King link??)

A bit of research told me this is seen as a bit of a defining album in the US & almost as the first of it’s kind, a bit of a forerunner of the modern country sounds.

Not going to do a track by track review this time, but in the ‘liked’ section I have:

‘Graveyard Shift’ – More ‘Rock Country’ than ‘Country Rock’ & very nice powerful. Reminds me of the best of the Drive-By Truckers who I like a lot.

Liked the opening 4 track salvo actually including ‘That Year’, ‘Before I Break’ & the more country ‘No Depression’

‘Whiskey Bottle’ slower but still rock, a little similar in style to The Hold Steady’s ‘Lord, I’m Discouraged’ but not that good!

Life Worth Livin’ – Another slower one that reminds me of DBT or the Hold Steady. Impressive if this was the pre-curser to those bands that I like A LOT

‘So Called Friend’

‘Screen Door’ – nothing like ‘Thunder Road’ but paints images in my mind in a similar way, lol

In the OK section I have ‘Factory Belt’ (odd & pointless to my ears NOISE to finish with),

‘Outdone’

‘Train’ (although I like the tempo shifts in ‘Train’) – nothing wrong with them, just a bit ‘samey’,

‘Flatness’, &

John Hardy’

Nothing I really disliked, but overall it didn’t blow me away. Not gonna bother with the outtakes etc, all pretty similar stuff though.

SO< WHAT AM I GONNA GET NEXT WEEK????? tipping towards 'Augustines' which has been recommended to me here (above)??? :

Bossman