Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossman66

A new CD each week - Advice please

This week I bought ‘Bad Self Portraits’ by ‘Lake Street Dive’ & it’s a good album………………

They’re a soul influenced pop band in my opinion, rather than the jazz they claim to derive from, lol, based in Brooklyn. They cite The Beatles as an influence too. All 4 members, 2 guys & 2 girls write the songs & I can’t say any one stands above the others as I like each of their songs, some more than others where they’ve written more than one. I’ve no idea whether the LSD band initials are like Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds though which John Lennon denied had anything to do with LSD, lol.

The lead singer is Rachael Price & I like her voice a lot, it’s a little gravelly (a little Diane Birch like & I loved her first album) which suits these pop/soul/torch songs with a bit of a motown influence I think & I also detect a bit of gospel or choir like harmonies too.

1 & 2) - The album starts with 2 upbeat tracks, the title track, which is probably my favourite track on the album, & Stop Your Crying. Bad Self Portraits has a lyric where the camera the protagonist used to record a love story, is used to take landscapes, still lifes & bad self portraits of a lonely woman after the love has gone bad, but wrapped in a lively tune. I read ‘Stop Your Crying’ as the girl is ready to try again with a failed love, but I could be wrong.

3 - ‘Better Than’ is the first ballad & another I like a lot, although the subject is a bit vague – seems a little another love gone wrong song, just bemoaning not knowing what’s wrong or right about it. A nice little horn line sprinkled within.

4 - Tempo back up for ‘Rabid Animal’. This one reminds me of something, but I’m not sure what. Nice keyboards & bass.

5 - You Go Down Smooth is the lead single I think & probably the most motown like song here. I like it. The singer seems to realise that her love may in fact be her problem, but doesn’t seem able to resist cos he’s smooth.

6 - Use Me Up seems a similar message to me, she’s not sure the guy is good for her, anyway.

7 - Bobby Tanqueray is upbeat but not my favourite, although I do like the hooks, a part of it reminding me of something from the 60’s, possibly Petula Clark, lol. Bobby is a club singer on the way up searching for fame & fortune. The singer is clearly devoted, the final verse ‘I know one day, he will be ready, he’ll never take his hand from mine, We’ll walk the land of milk & honey, Bobby Tanqueray, he & I both satisfied’

8 - Just Ask is slower, probably the heaviest track here. The singer telling the guy just ask & she’ll do anything for him

9 – Seventeen is an interesting one with upbeat verses & a much slower chorus & a mixed vocal, guy & girl as opposed to girl on most tracks. Not sure how much I like it but it’s a little different.

10 – What About Me – I like this one a lot, a bit of a sing-a-long I reckon, a bit gospel, a bit choir like as she reminds him ‘What About Me’

11 – Rental Love – bit more of a ballad to finish. The girl feels she ‘rented’ the guys love rarther than having it heart & soul, each verse ending, I wanted it all, I wanted it all’

This is another good album that I’d have otherwise not bought. I don’t think it’ll get the plays that The Augustines & Rosanne Cash will get, but it’s pretty good & I like it

So before I got Lake Street Dive’s album, I went into HMV on Monday & bought ‘Manhattan’ by ‘Skaters’ totally blind as they didn’t have the Lake Street Dive album in store.

Not gonna give you a track by track review but for a totally blind purchase I like this too.

Stole this from their ‘Wiki’ page:

SKATERS formed in New York City, New York in 2012 based. The group's birth can be traced to a hectic 24 hours in Los Angeles in the summer of 2011, when singer and songwriter Michael Ian Cummings met English guitarist Josh Hubbard at a party at a "really fancy-ass house," as Cummings recalls.

A few months later, the still band-less Cummings got a call from Hubbard announcing that he'd be arriving in NYC the following day from the U.K. He'd be in town for a month and a half and wanted the group to play a gig. So they hooked up with Drummer Noah Rubin and local bassist Dan Burke, booked three shows, learned some songs Cummings and Rubin had been tinkering with (and a handful of Pixies covers), and SKATERS was formed. Later that year, the band signed to Warner Bros. Records.

Their debut record, MANHATTAN, shares stories of the city where they met. "We were all bartenders, so the songs are tales of experiences we had or saw, and other people who were characters in our life during the first year we were in this band," Cummings says.

It sounds like NYC underground to me, like ‘The Ramones’, early ‘Blondie’ (with male vocals obviously), ‘The Strokes’ even & also a little like ‘The Clash’ (I like that the style varies a bit almost like a lesser ‘London Calling’).

This is more guitar driven that Lake Street Dive

First 3 songs are all upbeat, my favourite being ‘Miss Teen Massacheusetts’ but I like them all

‘Band Breaker’ is more Ska or Reggae like & I like that too

3 more upbeat tunes follow. Again I like them all, probably ‘Schemers’ the best of the 3

‘Fear Of The Knife’ is a slower bass driven verse with an upbeat shift for the chorus. Catchy tune

I Wanna Dance (But I Don’t Know How) is another single, bit more punky, with a decent guitar riff & repetitive chorus

My least favourite track is the penultimate one ‘Nice Hat’, the most punklike track & just a bit of a mess to my ears to be honest.

Last up is ‘This Much I Care’ – frustratingly I can’t think what it reminds me of & I’m not sure if it’s the riff or the feel that’s lifted from somewhere. See if you can work it out:

Bossman

The list so far:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'

This week I bought ‘English Oceans’ by the Drive-By Truckers and it’s an excellent album!

I’ve been a DBT fan since ‘The Dirty South’ came out in 2004 when ‘Goddamn Lonely Love was featured on an ‘Uncut’ magazine cd of the month. This may in fact be my favourite album of theirs since that album, one where there’s not a track I dislike.

It’s a more muscular, male orientated album now that the latest line-up changes are complete & the band is all male again, still inspired by Lynard Skynard, but with much more obvious Stones influence in my opinion this time out. I think I still preferred when Jason Isbell (who has said his friend’s made a ‘great’ album here was the third writer & vocalist, but Mike Cooley has come much more to the fore this time out & shares writing duties almost evenly with Patterson Hood & indeed has some of the best songs here I think.

It starts with Cooley’s rocky ‘Shit Shots Count’, one of my favourite tracks, which is followed up by several more rock songs, Hood’s ‘When He’s Gone’, Cooley’s ‘Primer Coat’ (possibly my favourite track on it) & the more expansive ‘Pauline Hawkins’ by Hood (which is apparently inspired by a character in Willy Vlautin’s book ‘The Free’, according to the sleeve notes) with the great line ‘Fate always happens when nobody’s looking’ & some nice guitar lines.

Here’s ‘Primer Coat’ live:

Made Up English Ocean’s by Cooley chugs along nicely & ‘The Part Of Him’ by Hood could easily refer back to ‘George Wallace’ from ‘Southern Rock Opera’ although I don’t think it actually does. Cooley’s ‘Hearing Jimmy Loud’ includes ‘She’s my baby & she knows it, I get reminded now & then your either someone’s or your nothing, God must be a lonely man’ & with Hood’s ‘Til He’s Dead or Rises’ they are loose enough that they could come from ‘Exile on Main Street’ maybe.

Then the tone shifts slightly with the more acoustic sounding ‘Hanging On’ a ballad by Hood. I like it. This is followed by the Bar band sounding piano based ‘Natural Light’ by Cooley, in which I love the line ‘Once in a while there’s a spectacle’. When Walter Went Crazy’ by Hood is another ballad & somehow reminds me of ‘Lord’ I’m Discouraged’ by The Hold Steady although there’s no real reason it should. Cooley’s ‘First Air Of Autumn’ is a bit more upbeat before the great finale ballad ‘Grand Canyon’. Written by Hood & dedicated (like the album in fact) to the band’s merchandise seller ‘Craig Lieske’, who was prominent in the Athens music scene, & who died in Jan 2013, it starts with the changing colours of light reflecting on the Grand Canyon, meanders to ‘If the recently departed make the sunsets to say farewell to the ones they leave behind, There were Technicolor hues to see our sadness through as the sun over Athens said goodbye’ & finishes ‘I’ll think about Grand Canyon & I’ll lift my glass & smile’. This is up with their very best I reckon. See for yourself:

I’ll be seeing DBT in May for the first time. I’ve heard they play loud & hard & can’t wait to see them rock out on some of these tunes. A good place for anyone who’s never heard of them to start investigating a great band with a very good back catalogue.

Bossman

Just an earmark for 20th May....

Easton, Stagger, Phillips - Resolution Road

Out on 17 March, Who Loves Ya Baby? by Ian Prowse. I got this a couple of weeks ago (subscribed to Pledgemusic) and can't stop playing it. Highly recommended.

This week I bought ‘The Take Off & Landing of Everything’ by Elbow & I’m not sure what to make of it really.

Let me start by saying I like Elbow, to the point of being a little fascinated by them even. They’re certainly not your regular ‘pop’ band. Generally though, I’m a bit frustrated by Elbow & by this album to be honest. I like where they come from, their Northern roots & I get why they’ve built a following. I believe ‘One Day Like This’ is really anthemic & have seen it get sung along to by huge festival crowds on tv & yet generally, their stuff is not immediate & direct enough for me.

In 1984, Duran Duran followed the non-chart topping singles, Union of The Snake & New Moon On Monday with The Reflex which hit the top. The chorus went:

So why don't you use it?

Try not to bruise it

Buy time don't lose it

The reflex is an only child he's waiting in the park

The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark

And watching over lucky clover isn't that bizarre

Every little thing the reflex does

Leaves you answered with a question mark

& frankly I thought what the hell was that all about, but it didn’t matter (too much) cos it was a pop song & had a groove, whether or not you liked it. I was more of a Spandau fan then, cos I felt I better understood what their songs were about.

With Elbow, I have copies of their previous albums, ‘Leaders Of The Free World’, ‘Build A Rocket Boys’ & ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’, winner of the Mercury Prize in 2008, none of which blew me away & yet all of which had moments I really liked. This is the first I’ve bought new & intend to keep, having sold my original copy of build A Rocket Boys.

I’d hoped the new album would be a breakthrough, at least for me, but again, whilst I don’t dislike any of it, not much of it is really grabbing me. I like several of the songs quite a lot which maybe is a bit of a breakthrough compared to some of their earlier albums, for me at least

Perhaps Guy Garvey’s lyrics are too unclear to me or perhaps I’m just not intelligent enough to really get it. It’s all atmospheric enough & the songs are quite long, in the main, which gives them time to build, but if it’s too clever or obscure to really understand, especially when they are lauded for their lyrics, what’s the point?

For example, in Fly Boy Blue/Lunette (which I like by the way): Guy sings:

It's a lethal ballet

Air traffic congestion

I'm having a baby

Second thoughts, scotch, dinner

And someone's dancing on the box

A former MP

And no one was watching

My oldest friends are a serious habit

Fly boy blue, so bring your faces home,

To my sweet trampoline

And acres of crash site love

The only part of that I really understand is is ‘someone dancing on the box, a former MP’ (Anne Widecombe on Strictly presumably) but maybe just maybe they could lighten up a bit & produce something slightly more accessible & commercial.

That said, this album does feel a little bit more upbeat & a little more commercial to me than their previous efforts & I’ve liked it more & more as the week has progressed, as a result of which this review got longer & more positive, lol

I like the romanticism of New York in ‘New York Morning’. I’ve read that ‘Honey Sun’ refers to his mutual break-up with his long-term girlfriend & love the line in that ‘She & I won’t find another me & her’. That song is a little clearer when read in the knowledge of that relationship.

I also like the opener ‘This Blue World’ & the fact that in ‘Real Life (Angel)’ the song references it again finishing with the line ‘You Never need fear a thing in this blue world’. I also like Colour Fields & the title track is a bit more of a ‘rocker’

My favourite track though is ‘My Sad Captains’ although again the lyrics aren’t clear to me, the first verse for example : I'm running out of miracles, Oh my soul, And the streets are lined with one-man shows, Oh my soul, Corner boys were moved along, Oh my soul, We're plummeting like crippled crows, Oh my soul.

What’s that all about then?

Overall, I find it very similar to their other albums, it’s Ok to me, but a grower maybe. If you like their older stuff I’m sure you’ll like this, but for me it’s not gonna get regular rotation like some of the records I’ve reviewed previously.

I like Springsteen for many reasons, partly because the lyrics are quite direct & open to personal & direct interpretation. I perhaps need more knowledge of Elbow to make better interpretations of a lot of their work, this included.

Bossman

Out on 17 March, Who Loves Ya Baby? by Ian Prowse. I got this a couple of weeks ago (subscribed to Pledgemusic) and can't stop playing it. Highly recommended.

Had a quick listen to the sample on Amazon. Not sure about this one, but still not sure what I am gonna get next week. Other alternatives, the poppy 'American Authors' or the Eli Young Band's '10,000 Towns' (country) or 'The Pretty Reckless' - not sure about any of them, lol

Prowsey is a Laker. He has released some brilliant music and if you ever get the chance to see him live, either solo or with his band Amsterdam, do not miss it.

How about some Aussie music?

Not sure what you like but here are some different styles.....

Birds of Tokyo- March Fires, brilliant album and they've just played SXSW festival.

Boy and Bear- Harlequin Dream

Cloud Control- Dream Cave (Scar is particularly good )

Flume.

Vance Joy- God Loves you when you're Dancing. 2013 breakout artist, his song Riptide, finished No1 in our hottest 100 countdown this year. Brilliant.

Just a few ideas, not sure if any are up your alley, these are some of my non Bruce fav artists.

It's got to be The War on Drugs!!

I am midway through my first listen, and I cannot believe how good this record is.

Boy & Bear as mentioned above is also brilliant.

A re issue of old stuff, but brilliant all the same.

Doug Sahm - The Genuine Texas Groover.

Blues, Country and folk all on one album.

I am midway through my first listen, and I cannot believe how good this record is.

It's on repeat. :D

Get it Bossman.

This week I bought ‘Oh, What A Life’ by ‘American Authors’ & frankly I made a bad error & I’m underwhelmed by it…..

So as planned I went into HMV blind, totally undecided on what to get. The Pretty Reckless, The War On Drugs, Withered Hand & Ian Prowse were also in the frame, but having listened to clips on itunes & not being over excited by any of them, I simply chose this as the cheapest at £7.99

I’m not ashamed to admit I stole this from a professional review “Almost every song on the album is a mid-tempo, upbeat generic indie pop tune”.

It’s true though & if you’ve heard the single ‘Best Day Of My Life’ you’ve more or less heard the album, sadly. The first sign of any variety is the intro to track 5 ‘Trouble’ but after one verse that too descends into the same mid temp groove, before retreating to a slower similar acoustic fade out. The final title song is an attempt to be more subtle, but even that has a ‘rocky’ pop bit in the middle.

Sometimes a good pop hook is all that’s needed but this lacks originality. A couple of years back I bought an album by the ‘Plain White T’s’ on the strength of the single ‘Hey, There Delilah’ & it was quite similar to this album, as were ‘Rooster’ (if they’re still a band), The Lumineers (to an extent), Imagine Dragons (this is not as good as their’s though) & many other such pop acts. The lyrics are pretty bland, pop love songs of the teen kind.

No doubt it would sound nice and summery in the car on a nice day with the wind in your hair, but I suspect it’ll find it’s way to a dusty shelf pretty soon. The type of pop songs that are regulars on pop idol, x-Factor, The Voice.

The best parts are the moments when you can hear the Banjo & Mandolin both played by James Adam Shelley on the slightly more acoustic/sparse sounding tracks, ‘Home’, ‘Trouble’, intro to ‘Heart OF Stone’ & the title track & that’s about the best I can say for it.

Not a patch on the last 4 weeks’ purchases. I guess there were always gonna be weeks like this & I should’ve chosen one of the more serious contenders.

Hopefully no such problem next week with 'The Hold Steady' in the frame

Bossman

It's on repeat. :D

Get it Bossman.

Ditto - Go and get it Bossman. My first copy is warn out already.

This week I bought ‘Teeth Dreams’ by The Hold Steady. It’s up there with the better cd’s I’ve bought this year………………

It’s the 6th album from The Hold Steady & it’s a return to form after the slightly lacklustre (for me anyway) ‘Heaven Is Whenever’. Punchy rock songs in the main with just a couple of slower tunes mixed in.

It kicks off with the rock songs ‘I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You’ & ‘Spinners’ both of which are among my favourites. I like Spinners a lot including the ambiguity of whether it’s about a girl spinning around dancing or a record spinning on a turntable, or maybe both:

The Ambassador is an attempt at a power ballad. Not in the same league as one of my favourite THS songs ‘Lord, I’m Discouraged’ but I still like it a lot

Not so keen on ‘Big Cig’ & ‘Almost Everything’, my least favourite tracks after a few listens, but ‘Wait Awhile’ is great, advising a girl not to ‘put out’ so readily. Here’s a snippet:

I'm sure they'll come up in the parking lots and at parties.

You know you don't have to accept.

Collecting boyfriends isn't such a healthy hobby.

I'm sorry, but there's other words than yes.

Once they hear you've got a broken heart

They're going to come around and try to make you smile.

Little girl you're going to rush right in.

Why don't you wait a while?

Why don't you wait a while?

Oaks is a great last song in my opinion, slowly building to a crescendo before gradually fading out over it’s 9 minutes’.

I like that it comes so soon after ‘Grand Canynon’ by the Drive BY Truckers too, another great closing track. My top 10 of the year is filling quicker than I expected, or some are gonna get relegated as the year progresses.

Bossman

So what about next week:

Johnny Cash 'Out Among The Stars' or something else?

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)

06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt

13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan

20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me

27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo

03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines

10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash

17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke

24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'

03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'

10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'

17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'

24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey

It came out at the end of February and is a re-release, however treat yourself to Workbook 25, Bob Mould. Fantastic

You won't go far wrong with buying Hans Chew Life and Love album

Agreed, mine should be here tomorrow.

This week I bought ‘Out Among The Stars’ by the legend that is Johnny Cash & I have to say it’s exceeded my expectations………………

I was a little nervous of buying ‘new’ Cash that hadn’t been seen as worthy of release at the time it was recorded, but I like it.

One thing I’m not impressed by is the apparent effort to ‘cash’ in (excuse the pun) on our subconscious by making the cover a black & white shot of Johnny in a similar vein to the great ‘CASH’ series on the American Label

These recordings date from 1984 in the main with a couple slightly earlier in 1981 & it seems the record company didn’t know what to do with the great man at that time. Clearly he was out of fashion in that era & it feels to me like this wouldn’t have been a great seller were it released at that time.

With hindsight though, and after the success of the Rick Rubin ‘American’ series (which has clearly bolstered the legend of JC) these are, on the whole, a good addition to the Cash legacy in my opinion

He was in strong, good voice & apparently in a pretty good place mentally & spiritually when they were recorded. There’s not much here to rival either his classic period from the late 50’s to say early 70’s, or that final flourish from ’94-’03, but there are still some worthy tunes & stories that were left to weave. Unlikely we’ll ever see another ‘I Walk The Line’, ‘Ring Of Fire’, Man In Black’, ‘Folsom Prison Blues’, ‘A Thing Called Love’, ‘Hurt’ etc emerge from the vaults now, but this will suffice

1 – Out Among The Stars It starts with the title track which I consider one of the strongest tracks here. The Chorus goes :

Oh how many travelers get wear-y

Bearing both their burdens and their scars

Don't you think they'd love to stop complaining

And fly like eagles out among the stars

Johnny flew ‘out among the stars’ long after these recordings………………

2 – Baby Ride Easy (Duet with June Carter Cash) – A jolly tune & a love song. Not as great as ‘Jackson’ recorded with June in ’67 but good fun in a similar way

3 – She Used To Love Me A Lot – the single of course & another of the stronger tracks. The lead character sees an ‘ex’ having coffee & reminisces how she used to love him. Turns out the twist is that she ended it though He goes in & a key verse seems to me to be:

I sat down beside her and she smiled

She said where have you been it's been awhile

She was glad to see me

I could almost read her thoughts

She used to love me a lot

A remake of this song produced by Elvis Costello rounds off the album as track 13. I have to say I prefer the version here, with EC’s version making it sound rather ghostly to me instead of more modern. You want modern Johnny, just go get the Rick Rubin ‘American’ series – you can’t go wrong with those!

4 – After All – I’m not so keen on this MOR ballad, which is for me saved a little by the piano/keyboard refrain

5 – I’m Movin’ On (duet with Waylon Jennings) – this is a well known Country song of course recorded by Hank Snow & Elvis among many others. It’s preceded by some either in studio chat with applause from others present or else could be live & faded out but the former I imagine. It’s another duet this time with Waylon Jennings, who JC recorded with in The Highwaymen I believe as well as on earlier duets. Pretty decent lively version – not much to add.

6 – If I Told You Who It Was – I just love this! The nearest thing on here to one of his great ‘story’ songs like ‘One Piece At A Time’ or ‘A Boy Named Sue’. Funny, with some innuendo & it sounds like he’s having the time of his life, as the character meets & has an assignation with a famous female country singer ‘played’ by Minnie Pearl. Probably my favourite just for the fun of it.

7 – Call Your Mother – The first of the 2 songs written by Johnny Cash. I like it, sort of mid paced story, apparently about a husband who’s in the process of being dumped, asking his wife to thank her mum for the years they had together & to give his regards to her dad

8 – I Drove Her Out Of My Mind – Up tempo tune. The character’s (who seems to be Johnny Cash himself, from the line’s below) girlfriend (?) has left him. He buys a Cadillac (classic rock/country car) & takes her for a ride where he’s gonna drive her off lookout mountain & kill them both to ‘drive her out of my mind’:

They'll say Johnny Cash was quite a smash

down here in Chatanooga

last night when he drove her

out of his mind

9 – Tennessee – The first of the 1981 recordings & one of my favourites on the album, despite it's cheesiness. A traditional Country tune, extoling the virtues of Tennessee (the place he belongs in) & a nice mention for the great Country star George Jones – The Chorus:

And we wear blue jeans and big green things

Spend the summer time naturally high

By, chopping wood for next winters fire

Saving our money for the county fair

George Jones is supposed to be there

We got, forty acres of corn on the ground

Tennessee taters we sell by the pound

Proud as we can be, to live in Tennessee

It even survives the backing vocals at the end by The Cash Cabin Vocal group & the full student body of Summer Academy, K-8 Gallattin, TN which clearly has a very young membership

10 – Rock & Roll Shoes – A lovely catchy tune that basically says I ain’t gonna stop, & he didn’t ever! – see for yourself:

11 – Don’t You Think It’s Come Our Time (duet with June Carter Cash) – simple country love song duet with his wife June, more believable cos we know what they meant to each other, of course

12 – I Came To Believe – The second JC written tune & the most spiritual tune here. Think I’ll just let Johnny say it himself:

I couldn't manage the problems I laid on myself

And it just made it worse when I laid them on somebody else

So I finally surrendered it all brought down in despair

I cried out for help and I felt a warm comforter there

[Chorus:]

And I came to believe in a power much higher than I

I came to believe that I needed help to get by

In childlike faith I gave in and gave him a try

And I came to believe in a power much higher than I

Nothing worked out when I handled it all on my own

And each time I failed it made me feel twice as alone

Then I cried, "Lord there must be a sure and easier way