Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pregnant Sally

Drive-By Truckers Appreciation Thread

i know there's been a lot of threads on these guys over the years but I don't care, I'm starting another one. I'm kinda late to the party and love fest, but I'd like to join now. For those who have heard the new album (I have thanks to a certain someone on here) you know what a great fucking rock and roll record it is. Well I've been listening to The Dirty South lately and I am now obsessed with this gem:

Dirty South is their best album for me, but dig most with Jason. After he left, I will admit to losing interest.

Have you managed to hear their new one Sue? It was leaked, of course. I think many are of the view that it's their best one since Isbell left. I'm not familiar with them enough to have a viewpoint on that. Yet.

I'm actually listening to A Blessing And A Curse right now, The Dirty South is miles and miles better.

i know there's been a lot of threads on these guys over the years but I don't care, I'm starting another one. I'm kinda late to the party and love fest, but I'd like to join now. For those who have heard the new album (I have thanks to a certain someone on here) you know what a great fucking rock and roll record it is. Well I've been listening to The Dirty South lately and I am now obsessed with this gem:

Love this song.

This kicks so much ass:

Love this song as well.

You're partly responsible for my interest in them Gregory. All those glorious emails I've received. Wouldn't have bought Go-Go Boots on my own probably, likely just woulda never crossed my mind.

I don't know their stuff well but am (probably) going to see them later this year.............

Smokin'. Watched the whole bloody thing.

Hear the new one Wasted?

Heard it. Love it! The rock is back. Wasn't a huge fan of Go Go Boots. This one also has tons of Cooley which is always a good thing IMO.

Thanks for planting the thought - I've got to check for dates. Can already bet however that Vancouver will be the closest show, if there are any Canadian dates.

Thanks Wasted, will take advantage of the link for sure.

Just looked at dates and I was right, Vancouver in April, only Canadian show I saw and guess who is fucking opening? Shovels & Rope.

I might have to go. Seriously.

Yeah. I've been to the Athens homecoming shows a couple of times... Not sure if I'll make it this year. Best DBT show I've seen was on the Rock and Roll Means Well tour with The Hold Steady. Two of my favorite bands. It was like if Springsteen toured with Petty or something. Amazing finale with both bands onstage for Rockin In The a Free a World and People Who Died. Was trying to find a video of Steve McQueen from that show, but no joy.

Homecoming shows, it must only be Isbell who is from Alabama then, radio announcers really get that wrong. I thought they were all from there.

But yeah, how great would it be to have two of your favorite bands touring together.

The legendary Bushmanj sent me acopy of Southern Rock Opera and I was hooked. One of the greatest rock nights of my life was seeing The Hold Steady and DBT together. Seeing them do "Let There Be Rock"and "People Who Died" together...you just dont beat that.

I'll be moving onto Southern Rock Opera hopefully sooner than later but right now I'm listening to Brighter Than Creation's Dark. I find it to be pretty strong album so far. First song is a beauty, Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife.

The Rock and Roll Means Well Tour.....right up there with Darkness.

Words cannot express how much I love this band.

Where The Devil Dont Stay is the pinnacle for me also:

This live version kicks:

Looking forward to catching them in May.

Manchester and Amsterdam are booked so far, trying to fit London into my diary also.

For those that don't know, the song Kay mentioned, 2 Daughters and a Beautiful Wife, is about a murder in Richmond VA several years ago. The full story is here -

http://www.ask.com/wiki/2006_Richmond_spree_murders?qsrc=3044#The_Harvey_family

A formerly active Laker and her family knew the Harveys well. Her son and the daughter Stella were best friends.

Thanks Wasted, will take advantage of the link for sure.

Just looked at dates and I was right, Vancouver in April, only Canadian show I saw and guess who is fucking opening? Shovels & Rope.

I might have to go. Seriously.

Hit the Greek Theater in Berkeley and see DBT, S&R AND Willie Nelson. That has legendary potential.

Legendary potential indeed. I absolutely adore S&R, was just raving about them the other day, cannot believe they're opening.

As for Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife, I forgot all about that story, I read about it on here a while back and even got some pms from the Laker who you're talking about.

When I listened to the track it didn't even phase me.

Homecoming shows, it must only be Isbell who is from Alabama then, radio announcers really get that wrong. I thought they were all from there.

But yeah, how great would it be to have two of your favorite bands touring together.

Kay, the principal members are all originally from Alabama. Hood and Cooley were in a band there called Adams House Cat. Hood moved to Atlanta and then to Athens Ga and eventually got back together to form DBT. They are still based in Athens but consider themselves Alabamans. DBT plays an annual 3 night stand at the 40 Watt in Athens that they call the homecoming shows. Isbell, I think, now resides in Nashville.

Pretty sure I have that mostly right.