Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turkued

TOUT PROOF

I noticed that some tickets at the Pittsburgh show require seat holders to produce the credit card used to purchase the ticket and a photo ID for entrance. I hope JLM and Live Nation take a look at how it works and, if possible, extend this concept to the European arena autumn tour. It's a simple way to avoid the type of problem we experienced with Leeds this year. Not sure how many arenas are equipped with the technology to allow this but...

paperless tickets were tried ay Wrigley amongst other places 2 years they didn't work and caused more problems than they solved.

paperless tickets were tried ay Wrigley amongst other places 2 years they didn't work and caused more problems than they solved.

Really. That wasn't my experience in 2009 and 2012. I would argue from my perspective that they were a success (and yes I know there are ways around them) as I was able to access seats I would never normally have had a chance of in the past simply because previously the touts would have gobbled them up.

When you say they didn't work and caused more problems than they solved can you explain what you mean by this.

No thank you. Credit cards and photo ID are very valuable commodities in the wrong hands, and I don't want to be forced to bring them to crowded places that may be targeted by gangs of pickpockets.

No thank you. Credit cards and photo ID are very valuable commodities in the wrong hands, and I don't want to be forced to bring them to crowded places that may be targeted by gangs of pickpockets.

You don't carry that stuff with you always? Weird. Maybe it's an American thing, but my wallet (containing my credit and debit cards and my license) is practically an extension of my body.

You don't carry that stuff with you always? Weird. Maybe it's an American thing, but my wallet (containing my credit and debit cards and my license) is practically an extension of my body.

Same here. I wouldn't think of going anywhere without my credit/debit card and my drivers license.

Same here. I wouldn't think of going anywhere without my credit/debit card and my drivers license.

Not since I had the lot stolen, passport, cards, driving licence and all. Cost a lot to replace everything. There's no need to carry your driving licence here in the UK.

Of course I carry cards in my purse when out and about generally, but the point is that events attracting big crowds also attract pickpockets. Last year when The Specials were on tour, we were specifically warned that a gang of pickpockets was targeting the tour, and that we needed to take special care. These people were buying tickets like normal fans and mingling about, taking advantage of tightly packed crowds whose attention was elsewhere.

So we've had one post stating "paperless tickets were tried... they didn't work and caused more problems than they solved" and another poster who thinks that the risk of carrying proof of identity and a credit card too risky as reasons why this paperless system isn't the way forward. Assuming the status quo is not acceptable and short of an official fan club (with a membership fee) alia U2, Tom Petty, etc. what do Lakers consider the best way of ensuring tickets end up in the hands of fans (and I don't just mean those who read Boards and use their ticket exchanges) at cost?

I don't know, but I don't agree with tying tickets to a specific person anyway. Suppose you can't go to the gig and want to give your ticket to somebody else?

I don't know, but I don't agree with tying tickets to a specific person anyway. Suppose you can't go to the gig and want to give your ticket to somebody else?

But isn't that the fundamental problem; for everyone who would pass a ticket onto someone else at cost or less there are a hundred or more people selling tickets for amounts significantly above cost. Tying a ticket to a person is a problem if you can't use it but it's not as great a problem as touting. The only way around this is if you can return a paperless ticket back to the retailer if you can't use it (or they could just build the optional insurance that some sellers offer into the price).

OK controversial as this may be, I need scalpers or touts whatever you want to call them.

I agree that it's wrong, but with the crap ticketing systems we have in place

also not having a complete tour schedule in advance only goes to promote the use of scalpers/Touts.

Couldn't get tickets for Leeds, went to a well known website and got my tickets

This happened for 4 of the 9 shows I went to around Europe in 2013 and

3 of the 8 shows in 2012.

Sorry Ed , usually agree with you, but this time NO!

I noticed that some tickets at the Pittsburgh show require seat holders to produce the credit card used to purchase the ticket and a photo ID for entrance. I hope JLM and Live Nation take a look at how it works and, if possible, extend this concept to the European arena autumn tour. It's a simple way to avoid the type of problem we experienced with Leeds this year. Not sure how many arenas are equipped with the technology to allow this but...

I'm more intrigued by the way you are referring to the Autumn arena gigs in Europe with a degree of confidence / certainty!!?, I realise that nothing is certain until we have the announcement etc but are there lots of good/solid "rumours" (I don't read all the forums/threads - used to rely on Nancy for her updates and what was being said by certain promoters on Twitter etc) - is the buzz sounding quite positive!!?

I'm more intrigued by the way you are referring to the Autumn arena gigs in Europe with a degree of confidence / certainty!!?, I realise that nothing is certain until we have the announcement etc but are there lots of good/solid "rumours" (I don't read all the forums/threads - used to rely on Nancy for her updates and what was being said by certain promoters on Twitter etc) - is the buzz sounding quite positive!!?

I don't want to pretend to have any insider information as to specifics because I don't. Wish I did. I do know at least one UK arena is "hopeful", in the words of the operations manager, of an autumn return. I probably should have used the word "anticipated" before "European" in the cited phrase. Sorry for raising any hopes.