Greasy Lake Community

TWOD are back in Europe in December.

Some large theatre shows in Germany announced so far and one ridiculous, cavernous arena show in the UK:

950x440-1-8f45bc502a.jpg

I hate it when bands make that arena breakthrough but I guess you cannot stand in the way of progress. I will certainly attend. My #1 album of 2018 was TWOD, #2 was Slowdive. B)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep it’s pretty fantastic on first listen! 

Really hard to replicate the magic of ‘in reverse’ live. Overall though, it sounds pretty damn good. 

Yes it’s absolutely brilliant. Downloaded it & played it 3 times today & it gets better each time you listen to it. 

This thread reminds me, whatever happened to Greetings From Barcelona? 

His life story always seemed a bit 'Wolf of Wall Street' to me, so it is possible the financial crime authorities finally tracked him down in his multi-million dollar Spanish mountainside retreat, midway through him snorting coke out of a hookers ass.

or maybe he just couldn't be bothered to post anymore. Either is plausible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, HelloNewman said:

His life story always seemed a bit 'Wolf of Wall Street' to me, so it is possible the financial crime authorities finally tracked him down in his multi-million dollar Spanish mountainside retreat, midway through him snorting coke out of a hookers ass.

I like the former suggestion best! 

2 hours ago, HelloNewman said:

TWOD are back in Europe in December.

Some large theatre shows in Germany announced so far and one ridiculous, cavernous arena show in the UK:

950x440-1-8f45bc502a.jpg

I hate it when bands make that arena breakthrough but I guess you cannot stand in the way of progress. I will certainly attend. My #1 album of 2018 was TWOD, #2 was Slowdive. B)

Wowsers when did that happen??   I saw them at the o2 in Bristol, perfect size, 3000 at the most. 

2 hours ago, HelloNewman said:

I’ve PM’ed him a couple times since he disappeared and never heard back. Always enjoyed his Album threads.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Perisic said:

These guys need to release a live album. Found a couple of bootlegs but the sound is mediocre at best. Anyone here who has a quality bootleg or knows where I can find one? 

It is odd that for a Grammy winning band now playing arena shows, there is very little out there by way of a fan community for bootlegs or even just discussion. There is one FB group, but that isn't busy, with less than 500 members. 

Any, I am seeing them twice in December. 

Unfortunately it is in arenas and not this secret 3 gig Philly run they are doing. I am hoping those surface as an official release. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey you're right, didn't know that! Looks like a collection of 10 songs and it's missing some of my favorites but I'll take it! First release sounds very good.

LIVE DRUGS:

01 An Ocean Between the Waves
02 Pain 
03 Strangest Thing 
04 Red Eyes 
05 Thinking of a Place 
06 Buenos Aires Beach 
07 Accidentally Like a Martyr 
08 Eyes to the Wind
09 Under the Pressure
10 In Reverse 

LIVE DRUGS, OUT NOVEMBER 20, 2020

The War On Drugs will release LIVE DRUGS, their first new album since 2017’s GRAMMY-winning A Deeper Understanding, on November 20th via Super High Quality Records, bandleader Adam Granduciel’s own record label. LIVE DRUGS is a collection culled from over 40 hard drives of recorded live shows spread out across years of touring behind multiple albums. It’s the first volume to capture the band’s live interpretations and a document showcasing the evolution of the band’s live show over the years. It’s also a portrait of the enduring relationship between Granduciel and LIVE DRUGS’s co-producer Dominic East, a longtime friend, guitar tech and stage manager. Today, they present its lead single, “Pain (Live),” “a hypnotic and excellent blast of heartland rock” (Entertainment Weekly).

LIVE DRUGS is sequenced to reflect how a typical 70-minute show would flow. It thrives on live set staples immortalized on record for the first time and illustrates how years of live performance nurtures an evolution of the songs. This includes “Buenos Aires Beach” from the band’s 2008 full-length debut, Wagonwheel Blues, and a cover of Warren Zevon’s “Accidentally like a Martyr.” An early live version of A Deeper Understanding’s “Strangest Thing” feels joyfully loose; Granduciel fell in love with this version while going through the recordings with mental notes of memorable shows. On the last five minutes of the live favorite, “Under the Pressure,” a crowd of 20,000 people are heard singing along to the extended guitar melody. Or take “Eyes to the Wind,” the version heard here has grown wholly independent of the version found on Lost in the Dream.

“As a band leader, I always want to know where a song can go,” Granduciel explains. “Even though we’ve recorded it, mastered it, put it out, and been touring on it, it doesn’t mean that we just have to do it the same way forever.” And in that way, LIVE DRUGS  is a freeing moment for the band. Now finally captured, these live iterations of the songs feel recontextualized, and subsequently less precious. “It feels like it’s kind of a reset, to be able to put something out that’s a really good interpretation of the way we interpret our music live. Even though this recording is from a year of tours, this is really how these six guys evolved as a band from 2014 to 2019.”

http://www.thewarondrugs.net/news/2020/live-drugs-out-november-20-2020

Been listening to a lot of War on Drugs whilst working from home and looking forward to the live album

If you haven't checked out Kurt Vile, too, then absolutely you should do - he was a former member of the War on Drugs and Adam Granduciel (War on Drugs frontman) has been a member of Kurt's backing band the Violators - the two are good friends I believe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...