Greasy Lake Community

If Roy Orbison covered Bruce...

Hey folks, been thinking of a rather cool idea over the last day or so. Here it is: If Roy Orbison was still living and he decided (for whatever reason) that he wanted to produce an album of covers based on Bruce’s catalogue, what songs would this album contain?

Which songs of Bruce’s would Roy’s voice suit best? I guess I tried to pick Bruce’s more pop or country like songs. For the record, I have no knowledge of Roy ever covering Bruce’s songs, so if this happened while he was alive, someone please point my in the right direction.

Anyway, here’s what I came up with.

“AIN’T GOT YOU: Roy Orbison covers The Boss”

1. You’ve Got It

2. Ain’t Got You

3. Pink Cadillac

4. Fire

5. It’s A Shame

6. Girls In Their Summer Clothes

7. The Brokenhearted

8. Spanish Eyes

9. My Lucky Day (solo on acoustic guitar)

10. TV Movie

11. Wreck On the Highway

12. When You’re Alone

Limited addition bonus tracks:

Open All Night (performed in a full-band arrangement)

Girls In Their Summer Clothes (Solo on acoustic guitar)

Thoughts? Would you buy the album? If you guys have any other ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Hey folks, been thinking of a rather cool idea over the last day or so. Here it is: If Roy Orbison was still living and he decided (for whatever reason) that he wanted to produce an album of covers based on Bruce’s catalogue, what songs would this album contain?

Which songs of Bruce’s would Roy’s voice suit best? I guess I tried to pick Bruce’s more pop or country like songs. For the record, I have no knowledge of Roy ever covering Bruce’s songs, so if this happened while he was alive, someone please point my in the right direction.

Anyway, here’s what I came up with.

“AIN’T GOT YOU: Roy Orbison covers The Boss”

1. You’ve Got It

2. Ain’t Got You

3. Pink Cadillac

4. Fire

5. It’s A Shame

6. Girls In Their Summer Clothes

7. The Brokenhearted

8. Spanish Eyes

9. My Lucky Day (solo on acoustic guitar)

10. TV Movie

11. Wreck On the Highway

12. When You’re Alone

Limited addition bonus tracks:

Open All Night (performed in a full-band arrangement)

Girls In Their Summer Clothes (Solo on acoustic guitar)

Thoughts? Would you buy the album? If you guys have any other ideas, I’d love to hear them.

I would buy it, Being a fan of Orbison and his beautiful voice. Better still if he's covering Springsteen.

Check out my article at The Turntable Shop on Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl album if you like.

https://theturntableshop.com/blog/

There was a strong rumour many years ago that Bruce wrote I Wish I Were Blind for Orbison. Even if that's not true, I think it would have been perfect for him.

I can certainly see why people would think that. That would have been very awesome if the rumor was true. The song is right up Roy's alley.

I've always thought "Cynthia" was Bruce's Pretty women.

It would have been nice to hear the Big O sing that one, also "We are Alive" has Orbison all over it. B)

Oh yeah,Cynthia! That would have been another I could have seen Roy covering. Not sure about 'We Are Alive", feels more Johnny Cash like to me. But Cynthia for sure would have been something Roy could have put his own spin on.

I would buy it, Being a fan of Orbison and his beautiful voice. Better still if he's covering Springsteen.

Check out my article at The Turntable Shop on Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl album if you like.

https://theturntableshop.com/blog/

A nice read. Thanks for sharing that. Glad to say I bought this album not too long ago. 'In The Real World" stands out as a favorite of mine. Such urgency in his voice when he sings the title.

Cracker idea for a thread.

The I Wish I Were Blind rumour is interesting, that would've been brilliant.

I can hear Roy doing Thunder Road at it's acoustic piano tempo, but with a lush orchestrated backing (a la Crying). Maybe a lyrical change to "Bruce Springsteen singing for the lonely" in a reverse tribute?

Cynthia as Bruce's Oh Pretty Woman is a spot on call too.

Happy from Tracks, You Can Look in its rockabilly arrangement, Lift Me Up or All I'm Thinkin About Is You are a few off the top of my head that I think Roy could've done amazing things with

I can hear Roy doing Thunder Road at it's acoustic piano tempo, but with a lush orchestrated backing (a la Crying). Maybe a lyrical change to "Bruce Springsteen singing for the lonely" in a reverse tribute?

That'd be cool! Talking about orchestral backing...

Could that have made this epic track even better?

I remember reading a while ago an interview with Roy's widow, Barbara, who mentioned that Bruce had written a number of songs for Roy in the early nineties/late eighties. I remember it because I hadn't seen any reference to it on any other Bruce site (ie Brucebase etc). It sounded like the 'project' had slipped under the radar... I have no idea if they were ever recorded... I've just tried to find the article (it was online) but can't seem to find it...

There was a strong rumour many years ago that Bruce wrote I Wish I Were Blind for Orbison. Even if that's not true, I think it would have been perfect for him.

The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like an O track, I'd never heard the rumour that it was actually written for him though. That's really interesting.

Bruce has repeatedly said that the album "Born to Run" was his "pathetic attempt to sing like Roy Orbison". While it isn't pathetic at all, you can hear that he tries for similarity. Apart from that, I could easily imagine Born to Run, Backstreets and She's the One sung by Roy. Same with Thunder Road, if it weren't for the line "Roy Orbison singing for the lonely". That would make it a bit awkward.

Queen of the Supermarket - yeah Roy could really take that one to a new place.

Even with the F-bomb?

He could have dropped it. Really under-rated song IMO.

Queen of the Supermarket - yeah Roy could really take that one to a new place.

Even with the F-bomb?

He could have dropped it. Really under-rated song IMO.

Cryptic Magnus ....Brilliantly Cryptic .....Beautiful Song though ..... Whether Roy had decided to drop the F-Bomb ....or DROP the F Bomb. :lol:

Archived