Greasy Lake Community

"Breakup albums"

J

I've been listening to John Martyn's divorce album Grace & Danger a lot recently... it's a beautiful album, but man some of the lyrics are brutal!!!

Save Some (For Me) contains the following nugget:

Should you read about me when you read your silly papers
Just pretend you never knew my name
Should I ever feature when you
Talk to your, talk to your, talk to your neighbours
Tell them that I never played the game.

Cos I saved some
You didn’t get it all
Cos I saved some for me
Oh yes, I saved some
(I cheated on the side)
Yes I saved some for me.

Our Love... he even gave his ex a co-writing credit on this one to spite her... ouch!

Our love
Once was sweeter than the April rain
But now I have to beg before you even say my name

and

Our love

Once was you and me against this world
made a man from a boy
and made a woman from a little girl
Our love
Once was deeper than the darkest blue could be
Now I find
I have to search my mind
To find the smallest trace of you in me.

Baby Please Come Home:

Baby, please come home
Baby, please come home
Baby baby please, baby please, baby please, come home
Try to put the things I said
Right out of your head
I didn’t mean a single one
Now you see what words have done.

Anyhow... that made me think... what other breakup albums are there that make for uncomfortable listening yet mesmerising, haunting, beautiful music full of hurt, guilt, regret, etc.?

Dylan's Blood On The Tracks comes to mind... as does Bruce's Tunnel of Love... obviously...

Any others?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot Out The Lights - Richard & Richard Thompson

The Boatman's Call - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Nas - Life is Good

Also heard a John Prine Christmas song this morning that he apparently wrote right after his divorce. Great song.

Some of those lyrics above J are brutal indeed.

Great call!!! That is one hell of an album...

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours works too.

Great call!!! That is one hell of an album...

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours works too.

There is a wonderful live version on a dvd someone lent me once of Wall Of Death .... played a little bit faster to give it almost an R.E.M. jangle .....

This may be it

I've been listening to John Martyn's divorce album Grace & Danger a lot recently... it's a beautiful album, but man some of the lyrics are brutal!!!

Save Some (For Me) contains the following nugget:

Should you read about me when you read your silly papers

Just pretend you never knew my name

Should I ever feature when you

Talk to your, talk to your, talk to your neighbours

Tell them that I never played the game.

Cos I saved some

You didnt get it all

Cos I saved some for me

Oh yes, I saved some

(I cheated on the side)

Yes I saved some for me.

Our Love... he even gave his ex a co-writing credit on this one to spite her... ouch!

Our love

Once was sweeter than the April rain

But now I have to beg before you even say my name

and

Our love

Once was you and me against this world

made a man from a boy

and made a woman from a little girl

Our love

Once was deeper than the darkest blue could be

Now I find

I have to search my mind

To find the smallest trace of you in me.

Baby Please Come Home:

Baby, please come home

Baby, please come home

Baby baby please, baby please, baby please, come home

Try to put the things I said

Right out of your head

I didnt mean a single one

Now you see what words have done.

http://youtu.be/k9DByepuYmc

http://youtu.be/EEQV5xqKjYU

Anyhow... that made me think... what other breakup albums are there that make for uncomfortable listening yet mesmerising, haunting, beautiful music full of hurt, guilt, regret, etc.?

Dylan's Blood On The Tracks comes to mind... as does Bruce's Tunnel of Love... obviously...

Any others?

That was so depressing J

As if this time of year isn't depressing enough

But go ahead and enjoy it LOL !

The interesting thing about Shoot Out The Lights is that most of the songs were written well before the marriage was in trouble and had been recorded for an album produced by Gerry Rafferty that was never released.

Spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space - a record / cd that saved my life. In my eyes a truely astonishing listen and I have had the privilege to see it live at the royal festival hall.

Noah and the whale - first days of spring. Nowhere near the one above but still a break up album none the less!

The angry part, right after it happens and you need to blow off chick steam? I'm going for brooding Adele, Rolling in the Deep starts out and you pound through

Linda a perry wrote an amazing series of angst you girl songs that I love...they were recorded by Ashlee Simpson for her debut album, I know, I know...but it's good stuff if you're not wanting to think too hard. The lyrics are great, but they don't make me dive for my catharsis.

Chris Isaak Forever Blue is top of my list when I need to hear the guy's POV

Wall Of Death

Nice video; after that there is a link to the video of Richard Thompson performing the song together with Nancy Griffith.

Is Wall Of Death not a natural song for Bruce to cover? With Soozie for the Linda Thompson vocal.

As mentioned, Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago is just staggeringly, hauntingly beautiful.

Beck's Sea Change is also utterly magnificent. And I'd add Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend—I think it's just below Blood on the Tracks and Tunnel of Love. And, yes, I really think it's that good.

I haven't heard Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend in eons, was one of my favorite albums eons ago. Might have to give that a spin. Good thread J. I know the thread is supposed to be about break up albums but I'm smitten with the John Prine song I heard for the first time yesterday, thought it was a Christmas song as it was played in the middle of a few but it's not, albeit it contains these great yet brutal lines:

I guess that love is like a Christmas card. You decorate a tree. You throw it in the yard. It decays and dies. And the snowmen melt. I once knew love. I knew how love felt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7XDiPT_2I

Was just looking for comments on blood on the tracks- namely Dylan's comments about it being about short stories by chechov , ha ha! I know that's dylan being dylan!

And I found a reveiw of it by our very own jon landau - in 1975- the playing is shoddy in places!! Not read it all but thought I would share it here! :-)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/blood-on-the-tracks-19750313

Archived