Greasy Lake Community

"Breakup albums"

J

Funhouse, P!NK. They ultimately reconciled.

Sometimes you think everything is wrapped inside a diamond ring
Love just needs a witness and a little forgiveness
And a halo of patience and a less sporadic pace and
I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes.

Oh I've felt that fire and I've been burned
But I wouldn't trade the pain for what I've learned
I wouldn't trade the pain for what I've learned.

--Crystal Ball

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Tom Freund is a phenomenal musician with a fascinating past. He plays down on Venice Beach, but we got to see him in SF and were blown away by his set. This is a more polished version than we know, but there's just something so vulnerable about the way he sings

The interesting thing about Shoot Out The Lights is that most of the songs were written well before the marriage was in trouble and had been recorded for an album produced by Gerry Rafferty that was never released.

Yeah, the boot is called Rafferty's Folly. It's great!

A Night To Remember - possibly my favourite album of all time. Cyndi Lauper.

Whilst looking at the tracks over at Amazon, I saw a box-set ... I'm now poorer by about 15 quid. :)

A Night To Remember - possibly my favourite album of all time. Cyndi Lauper.

Whilst looking at the tracks over at Amazon, I saw a box-set ... I'm now poorer by about 15 quid. :)[/quote

But think how much enjoyment you are going to get.

Abba's greatest hits..............

Somebody once bought it for me as a joke...

I broke it up into tiny pieces...

:lol: Love it, those high pitched voices always drove me crazy. I mean how many times can you use "Dancing Queen" at a wedding reception?

Abba's greatest hits..............

Somebody once bought it for me as a joke...

I broke it up into tiny pieces...

That's not nice

You know their final studio album is heavy with breakup

One of us

The winner takes it all

When all is said and done

From the album visitors

After that was under atack and the day before you came released on the

Singles the first ten years

These latter tracks were dark and sad and stark

It wasn't all mamma me a and dancing Queen

My dad was a big fan

They all had lots of talent

Phil Collins - Face Value.

Face Value and the John Martyn album in the original post were written round the same time... Phil plays the drums on the Martyn album. Phil and John were both getting divorced at the exact same time, and there's some great stories about the recording sessions for Martyn's Grace & Danger about how they collectively drowned their sorrows and would take turns phoning their soon to be ex-wives in a drunken stupor from the studio....

I never really saw A Night To Remember as a break up album. Interesting.

As for those Abba girls, they sure helped a pubescent Welsh lad through a tricky period. :)

Relive those years Promise61 right now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pue7MTXYedI

Was just looking for comments on blood on the tracks- namely Dylan's comments about it being about short stories by chechov , ha ha! I know that's dylan being dylan!

And I found a reveiw of it by our very own jon landau - in 1975- the playing is shoddy in places!! Not read it all but thought I would share it here! :-)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/blood-on-the-tracks-19750313

Thanks. That Landau article just confirmed my long held opinion that the rock journalist is a peculiarly pompous, pretentious and cretinous life form. We can only imagine the negative impact on Springsteen's art of constantly being told to view the world through the eyes of a Rolling Stone journalist.

Anyway, Dylan has consistently denied that Blood on the Tracks is a 'break-up' album, In this case I would tend to accept and respect the artist's explanation of their work.

I don't see how most of the songs could possibly even at a stretch relate to his first divorce. e.g Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts but others too.

Personally, I always had a preference for Desire.

Was just looking for comments on blood on the tracks- namely Dylan's comments about it being about short stories by chechov , ha ha! I know that's dylan being dylan!

And I found a reveiw of it by our very own jon landau - in 1975- the playing is shoddy in places!! Not read it all but thought I would share it here! :-)

Thanks. That Landau article just confirmed my long held opinion that the rock journalist is a peculiarly pompous, pretentious and cretinous life form. We can only imagine the negative impact on Springsteen's art of constantly being told to view the world through the eyes of a Rolling Stone journalist.

Anyway, Dylan has consistently denied that Blood on the Tracks is a 'break-up' album, In this case I would tend to accept and respect the artist's explanation of their work.

I don't see how most of the songs could possibly even at a stretch relate to his first divorce. e.g Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts but others too.

Now this is downright stupid.

I know Dylan said many times that the songs were inspired by Chekhov's stories and that they had nothing to do with the divorce... But I also read an interview with his son Jakob where he said that the songs were "his parents talking"...

I know Dylan said many times that the songs were inspired by Chekhov's stories and that they had nothing to do with the divorce... But I also read an interview with his son Jakob where he said that the songs were "his parents talking"...

Look you have your opinion and I have mine, Throwing out phrases like 'downright stupid' on what is a fairly trivial subject in the great scheme of things is just deliberate provocation and trolling. Grow up.

Dylan stated in his Chronicles that Blood on the Tracks is emphatically not autobiographical.

Am I to believe him or a third party?

Why are people so invested in the idea that this is a 'break-up' album? Is it any way diminished as a work of art if it isn't?

It's like someone - probably a Rolling Stone journalist - postulated years ago that it was related to Dylan's divorce and ever since it's been trotted out as one of those received wisdoms rock fans love to cling to - y'know like Sgt Pepper's was a great album or the Clash were serious political writers.

Reading through the lyrics that view just doesn't hold. There are a couple of songs explicitly about failed relationships but I would struggle to imagine what the Dylan household must have been like if Jakob Dylan (a mere child at the time so his opinion is dubious) believes Lily. Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts or Shelter from the Storm or Idiot Wind was the sound of his parents talking.

The true significance of Blood on the Tracks was a stunning return to form following around half a decade spent in a creative wilderness. For all we know a lot of the songs could well have penned or sketched out years earlier.

Look you have your opinion and I have mine, Throwing out phrases like 'downright stupid' on what is a fairly trivial subject in the great scheme of things is just deliberate provocation and trolling. Grow up.

Dylan stated in his Chronicles that Blood on the Tracks is emphatically not autobiographical.

Am I to believe him or a third party?

Why are people so invested in the idea that this is a 'break-up' album? Is it any way diminished as a work of art if it isn't?

It's like someone - probably a Rolling Stone journalist - postulated years ago that it was related to Dylan's divorce and ever since it's been trotted out as one of those received wisdoms rock fans love to cling to - y'know like Sgt Pepper's was a great album or the Clash were serious political writers.

Reading through the lyrics that view just doesn't hold. There are a couple of songs explicitly about failed relationships but I would struggle to imagine what the Dylan household must have been like if Jakob Dylan (a mere child at the time so his opinion is dubious) believes Lily. Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts or Shelter from the Storm or Idiot Wind was the sound of his parents talking.

The true significance of Blood on the Tracks was a stunning return to form following around half a decade spent in a creative wilderness. For all we know a lot of the songs could well have penned or sketched out years earlier.

First of all, Dylan has been deliberately mystifying journalists and fans for 40+ years now. And yes, I read Chronicles (twice actually) so I know he - interestingly enough - mentioned Blood On The Tracks not being about his divorce (even though the exact opposite of this claim is, and here I will quote the author himself, "pouring off of every page")...

I agree that the true significance of Blood On The Tracks doesn't lie in the fact that it is a break-up album. Having said that, I can't understand how you can NOT see the divorce (or a break-up, if you will) being part of the lyrics... You keep talking about Lily, Rosemary... now you throw in Idiot Wind and Shelter (the only lyrically vague songs on the album), but what about the rest of the songs? Tangled, If You See Her, You're A Big Girl, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome, Meet Me In The Morning, Simple Twist... And the outtakes... Up To Me, Call Letter Blues... (Buckets of Rain, actually, is the fourth song that can be interpreted in many ways)...

You know, it seems to me that you always pick a line or a song that suits your argument and then build the entire conversation around it.

I respect your opinion (even if you think otherwise), you're clearly not dumb. But please, do me a favor and re-read the lyrics of all the songs and then tell me again you don't see why Blood On The Tracks is considered to be a break-up album... That's all I'm asking.

Oh, and that "downright stupid" comment was a reaction to this "I don't see how most of the songs could possibly even at a stretch relate to his first divorce". But I didn't mean to offend you or anything...

Eels - End times

Even the last song on the album, "On my feet" sounds like Bruce's Valentine's Day. Some of the songs on the album are awkward even to hear... Like this one

She locked herself in the bathroom again
So I am pissing in the yard
I have to laugh when I think how far it's gone
But things aren't funny anymore

I drew a line into the dirt
And dared her to step right across it and she did

So I am knocking on the door again
I say, "Do you want to be alone?"
She says, "No, I don't wanna be alone
But I think that you do"

I drew a line into the dirt
And dared her to step right across it and she did