Greasy Lake Community

"Breakup albums"

J

Was just looking for comments on blood on the tracks- namely Dylan's comments about it being about short stories by chechov , ha ha! I know that's dylan being dylan!

And I found a reveiw of it by our very own jon landau - in 1975- the playing is shoddy in places!! Not read it all but thought I would share it here! :-)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/blood-on-the-tracks-19750313

Thanks. That Landau article just confirmed my long held opinion that the rock journalist is a peculiarly pompous, pretentious and cretinous life form. We can only imagine the negative impact on Springsteen's art of constantly being told to view the world through the eyes of a Rolling Stone journalist.

Anyway, Dylan has consistently denied that Blood on the Tracks is a 'break-up' album, In this case I would tend to accept and respect the artist's explanation of their work.

I don't see how most of the songs could possibly even at a stretch relate to his first divorce. e.g Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts but others too.

Personally, I always had a preference for Desire.

Now this is downright stupid.

I know Dylan said many times that the songs were inspired by Chekhov's stories and that they had nothing to do with the divorce... But I also read an interview with his son Jakob where he said that the songs were "his parents talking"...

Look you have your opinion and I have mine, Throwing out phrases like 'downright stupid' on what is a fairly trivial subject in the great scheme of things is just deliberate provocation and trolling. Grow up.

Dylan stated in his Chronicles that Blood on the Tracks is emphatically not autobiographical.

Am I to believe him or a third party?

Why are people so invested in the idea that this is a 'break-up' album? Is it any way diminished as a work of art if it isn't?

It's like someone - probably a Rolling Stone journalist - postulated years ago that it was related to Dylan's divorce and ever since it's been trotted out as one of those received wisdoms rock fans love to cling to - y'know like Sgt Pepper's was a great album or the Clash were serious political writers.

Reading through the lyrics that view just doesn't hold. There are a couple of songs explicitly about failed relationships but I would struggle to imagine what the Dylan household must have been like if Jakob Dylan (a mere child at the time so his opinion is dubious) believes Lily. Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts or Shelter from the Storm or Idiot Wind was the sound of his parents talking.

The true significance of Blood on the Tracks was a stunning return to form following around half a decade spent in a creative wilderness. For all we know a lot of the songs could well have penned or sketched out years earlier.

First of all, Dylan has been deliberately mystifying journalists and fans for 40+ years now. And yes, I read Chronicles (twice actually) so I know he - interestingly enough - mentioned Blood On The Tracks not being about his divorce (even though the exact opposite of this claim is, and here I will quote the author himself, "pouring off of every page")...

I agree that the true significance of Blood On The Tracks doesn't lie in the fact that it is a break-up album. Having said that, I can't understand how you can NOT see the divorce (or a break-up, if you will) being part of the lyrics... You keep talking about Lily, Rosemary... now you throw in Idiot Wind and Shelter (the only lyrically vague songs on the album), but what about the rest of the songs? Tangled, If You See Her, You're A Big Girl, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome, Meet Me In The Morning, Simple Twist... And the outtakes... Up To Me, Call Letter Blues... (Buckets of Rain, actually, is the fourth song that can be interpreted in many ways)...

You know, it seems to me that you always pick a line or a song that suits your argument and then build the entire conversation around it.

I respect your opinion (even if you think otherwise), you're clearly not dumb. But please, do me a favor and re-read the lyrics of all the songs and then tell me again you don't see why Blood On The Tracks is considered to be a break-up album... That's all I'm asking.

Oh, and that "downright stupid" comment was a reaction to this "I don't see how most of the songs could possibly even at a stretch relate to his first divorce". But I didn't mean to offend you or anything...

Lengthy analysis of the lyrics is not necessary. The key thing here is what the man himself said - Dylan has emphatically and consistently denied the album was autobiographical. The least people can do is respect the word of the artist.

Dylan does not so much 'mystify' rock journalists as such but rather refuse to play along with their assumptions, hype and pseudo intellectual pretensions and their attempts at times to co-opt and pigeon-hole him.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did also say his parents were dead and he was raised an orphan, and he wasn't!!

In ref to My previous / first post jason pierce from spiritualized always denies that ladies and gentleman , is a break up album too , even with some of the lyrics that contains! Although it can and does work about (personal) loss in general too!

I would never believe a single word Dylan says, ever.

Shakespeare wrote about death but he didn't have to die to do it.

I credit Dylan with a lot more artistic imagination than having to fall back on his domestic life to recover his muse. We are not talking about Bruce Springsteen here.

I'm more prepared to believe that the time invested in focusing on his writing affected his marriage rather than the other way around.

I credit Dylan with a lot more artistic imagination than having to fall back on his domestic life to recover his muse. We are not talking about Bruce Springsteen here.

I'm more prepared to believe that the time invested in focusing on his writing affected his marriage rather than the other way around.

And Satriani and Malmsteen write about dragons and goblins and the like - without ever having met one (presumably)..

Your not being prepared to believe it doesn't mean it's not true...

It still amazes me that you're being so resistant to the idea of Dylan using his real life experience to write the songs...

And that Shakespeare remark... Come on, man, even you can do better than that ;)

And Satriani and Malmsteen write about dragons and goblins and the like - without ever having met one (presumably)..

Don't know anything about that Malmsteen guy but I don't recall Satriani ever having wrote about 'dragons' - and his work is 99% instrumental anyway.

I think Blood On The Tracks is widely regarded as largely being about his divorce from Sarah without him ever acknowledging that it is. When i say I wouldn't believe a word Dylan ever says i mean that both ways, I wouldn't necessarily believe him 100% if he stated that Blood On The Tracks definitely is about that, nor do i believe him when he states it's not.

I also think that Dylan, most likely, believes (like me) that songs are about whatever you, as a listener think they're about... regardless of what he was thinking of when he wrote the things.

The truth, as always, probably lies somewhere in the middle... whilst Dylan may not have been writing all or most of the songs directly about the break up with his then wife, most of the songs do seem to be about fractured relationships and portray the type of soul searching people generally go through when going through a traumatic break up. So even if the songs aren't necessarily fully autobiographical, they do seem to somewhat reflect the state of mind Dylan must have been in at the time, whether he was writing about break ups consciously or subconsciously.

Hahaha:

"I don’t see myself as covering these songs in any way. They’ve been covered enough. Buried, as a matter a fact. What me and my band are basically doing is uncovering them. Lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day."

Hahaha:

"I dont see myself as covering these songs in any way. Theyve been covered enough. Buried, as a matter a fact. What me and my band are basically doing is uncovering them. Lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day."

It's getting good reveiws, let's see!!

There's actually two of them. Here's the second one. Sounds really nice to me! He played the song on a few occasions during the last leg of his tour but the studio version sounds slightly better.

Those two songs sound good to me... I've preordered the album. Sounds like it's going to be a great chill out album!

Also... his singing is pretty damn great on those 2 tracks!

It got 5 stars in The Independent, but that guy is a huge Dylan fan, even today he gives brilliant reviews for his live shows.

But his live shows are brilliant! Saw him last July (it was my fifth show) and he was amazing!

'Get Hurt' by Gaslight Anthem. Brian wrote the songs during his break-up with his wife.

Title song...

He was married to the bass player's sister... so that must be a bit awkward!

It got 5 stars in The Independent, but that guy is a huge Dylan fan, even today he gives brilliant reviews for his live shows.

But his live shows are brilliant! Saw him last July (it was my fifth show) and he was amazing!

Glad you enjoyed yours.

Saw him about 3-4 years ago, along with MIles Davis and Jimmy Buffet rates as my worst of all time. Didn't make it to the end of any of them.

Glad you enjoyed yours.

Saw him about 3-4 years ago, along with MIles Davis and Jimmy Buffet rates as my worst of all time. Didn't make it to the end of any of them.

Sorry to hear that. I think it all boils down to what you expect from his shows. I mean, it's pretty obvious you're not gonna get a pumped up performance. What you're gonna get - and Dylan never fails to deliver that - is a perfect sounding band and a man who you feel privileged to be in the same room with. And while it's true that some of the arragements are a little unfortunate and his voice is no longer there, his shows remain to be a really special experience...

Sinatra represents the kind of music my parents generation listened to. Schmaltzy crap. There was an Xmas special starring Sinatra and Bing Crosby shown by the BBC a few weeks back. Boring. I just don't get it. The musical equivalent of Dulux Emulsion. I can't even pretend to enjoy it. He may well have had some influence on Springsteen and others but I still don't get it. I prefer early Tom Waits - similar style but more honest and 'edgy'

Maybe Dylan will give this material a bit of an 'edge'.

Glad you enjoyed yours.

Sorry to hear that. I think it all boils down to what you expect from his shows. I mean, it's pretty obvious you're not gonna get a pumped up performance. What you're gonna get - and Dylan never fails to deliver that - is a perfect sounding band and a man who you feel privileged to be in the same room with. And while it's true that some of the arragements are a little unfortunate and his voice is no longer there, his shows remain to be a really special experience...

Fair comment, some of the arrangements are very unfortunate, took us ages to realise it was Tangled up in Blue, up to which point it could have been Smoke on the Water.

It was the legendary bit that keeps you hanging in there, but as with Miles, never said anything and back to the audience most of the time, two of my all time musical heroes. Unrealistic of me maybe but I want to hear them sound like they did...

Kinda like going to see Glenn Hoddle in his 50's not going to be what he was at 28. Not a great analogy I know.

The last time I saw Dylan, he was dancing and smiling and he even cracked a joke.

I'm perfectly fine with unrecognisable arrangements of songs as long as he's trying... and the amount of times I've seen him where he put on a great show (if you can get over the fact that he doesn't sound like he used to or play the songs like he used to). I've also seen the odd show where he just couldn't be bothered, and they weren't great...

As to his voice... he sounds more like a Howlin' Wolf than a Pete Seeger these days, and I'm ok with that!!

Archived