Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreetingsFromBarcelona

Albums: Year By Year

1983 also Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones

Sorry Lampi, I can't stand Tom Waits. Guy sounds like he gargles glass before he sings.

Ok, each to his (her) own, all is personal, etc. :)

1983 also Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones

Not my favourite album by one of my very favourite artists.

I will add

Elvis Costello- Punch the Clock

The Replacements- Hootenanny

Pylon- Chomp

Honorable mention

Born to Add

post-2478-0-86866000-1426101900_thumb.jp

OK guys, is it time for the "Born in the USA" year yet ?

OK guys, is it time for the "Born in the USA" year yet ?

1984!!! yes one of my favorite years for music ever. Once again, I am only going to list the albums I actually own from 1984 so feel free to add others that you enjoy too.

here we go......

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA (I was 10 years old in 1984 and this album turned me into a life-long fan.)

Van Halen - 1984

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

R.E.M. - Reckoning (One of the bands best)

Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain

The Smiths - The Smiths

The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow (Rarities, B-Sides and Alternative BBC versions compilation)

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

The Replacements - Let It Be

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend (The biggest selling reggae album of all time)

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (One of the best live albums ever!)

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain (Their best album IMO)

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Sade - Diamond Life

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - From Her To Eternity (still my favorite album by Nick)

Bryan Adams - Reckless (This is the greatest pop rock album that a Canadian has ever made)

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Couldn't Stand The Weather

Queen - The Works (last good album from this legendary band IMO)

Scorpions - Love At First Sting

Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

Tina Turner - Private Dancer (her big comeback album and the only Tina I own)

Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking

David Gilmour - About Face

The Cars - Heartbeat City (still love it!)

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar (cool album cover.....)

MI0002392260.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Pretenders - Learning To Crawl ("Back On The Chain Gang" is one of my favorite songs of all time)

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith ("In the dead of night...love bites, love bites!")

Dio - The Last In Line

The Cure - The Top

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Rising Force

Talk Talk - It's My Life

Don Henley - Building The Perfect Beast

Madonna - Like A Virgin (Still my sexiest album cover of all time :wub: )

41B007Z4P5L.jpg

Ramones - Too Tough To Die

INXS - The Swing

KISS - Animalize

David Bowie - Tonight (this is a weak album for David but does contain a few decent songs bar his awful remake of "God Only Knows" -_- )

Whitesnake - Slide It In

Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves

Hall & Oates - Big Bam Boom

John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Milk And Honey

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Red Hot Chili Peppers

AC/DC - '74 Jailbreak

Duran Duran - Arena

Rod Stewart - Camouflage

Dokken - Tooth And Nail

Wham! - Make It Big

The Cult - Dreamtime

Pat Benatar - Tropico

W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

Steve Perry - Street Talk

Sammy Hagar - VOA

Kansas - The Best Of Kansas

55 Albums from 1984 (some CD but mostly vinyl )

Wham! - Make It Big

iigLQ0T.gif?1

Takes a lot of guts to admit I have a Wham album in my collection. To be fair, I got it used at a Thrift Store for $4.00 :lol: (It was in mint condition too) But yeah, I can't tell you the last time I gave it a spin. Funny Newman that this is the album you chose to focus on rather than the much better choices mentioned earlier in my list. Hey put your money where your mouth is and get into the game. What's your 1984 album list?

Takes a lot of guts to admit I have a Wham album in my collection. To be fair, I got it used at a Thrift Store for $4.00 :lol: (It was in mint condition too) But yeah, I can't tell you the last time I gave it a spin. Funny Newman that this is the album you chose to focus on rather than the much better choices mentioned earlier in my list. Hey put your money where your mouth is and get into the game. What's your 1984 album list?

I will have a look back and post a list later.

Having reviewed yours these, these are the ones that I would consider good records (or in the case of the last two, half a good record):

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

R.E.M. - Reckoning

The Smiths - The Smiths

The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - From Her To Eternity

INXS - The Swing

The rest hold zero interest for me.

I stated previously, in general I dont like 1980's music and I certainly dont like hair metal.

You appear to have a love for both.

You do however in The Smiths and REM have 2 of my favourite bands of all time listed, so kudos for that.

Best albums of 1984 are Born in the U.S.A., The unforgettable fire and Ocean Rain. Ranking them 1, 2 and 3 would be very difficult.
For U2 and Echo their best album IMO.
R.E.M. and The Smiths belong to my favorite bands but I do not think they made their best album in 1984. (And I think the best music of The Smiths was on single not on album).

I will have a look back and post a list later.

Having reviewed yours these, these are the ones that I would consider good records (or in the case of the last two, half a good record):

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

R.E.M. - Reckoning

The Smiths - The Smiths

The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - From Her To Eternity

INXS - The Swing

The rest hold zero interest for me.

I stated previously, in general I dont like 1980's music and I certainly dont like hair metal.

You appear to have a love for both.

You do however in The Smiths and REM have 2 of my favourite bands of all time listed, so kudos for that.

Yes I do love "hair metal". Just remember I was 10 years old at the time and for a young kid, "hair metal" is pretty cool. Besides, if you get past the awful fashion sense of these guys and look at the actual song structure of the music it might be your typical verse-chorus-verse-guitar solo-chorus BUT take it from experience the required technical ability of a lot of "hair metal" stuff is quite advanced. Yes, the lyrics are generally banal and cliched but unlike today's musical equivalent which is Hip-Hop (another young male adolescent testosterone filled type of music) - Hair Metal aka Glam Rock etc still uses talented musicianship and lead singers who had excellent range in their vocal abilities (Ronnie James Dio, Sebastian Bach, Jon Bon Jovi etc) unlike the auto-tune generation of Kanye West and is other offspring.

So yeah Newman, I like 80's music and especially metal/hard rock but I make no apologies for it. That was my decade of music discovery.

It seems you and I are the same age but in 1984 (aged 10), due to not liking anything else out there, I was listening to my dad's Motown records and nothing else.

My musical awakening came a few years later in 1987 with The Joshua Tree, Document, Strangeways here we come and Eye of the hurricane (The Alarm) and Tunnel of Love.

Fisherman's Blues by The Waterboys, plus debuts from The Wonder Stuff and The Sundays in 1988 all blew my mind open to all sorts of other music.

It seems you and I are the same age but in 1984 (aged 10), due to not liking anything else out there, I was listening to my dad's Motown records and nothing else.

My musical awakening came a few years later in 1987 with The Joshua Tree, Document, Strangeways here we come and Eye of the hurricane (The Alarm) and Tunnel of Love.

Fisherman's Blues by The Waterboys, plus debuts from The Wonder Stuff and The Sundays in 1988 all blew my mind open to all sorts of other music.

All good stuff Newman. As far as my parents go, I have to thank them for turning me on to Classic Rock from the 60's and 70's plus my Dad plays Sax and I was introduced to the wonderful world of Jazz which I enjoyed but over the past few years have really come to love for myself. Classical is another music form that has grown for me too. Finally, there is a certain excitement and right of passage that we all can agree on when you discover music on your own rather than exposure from others. I guess that is the main driver behind my memories connected to 80's and 90's music.

My 1984 stuff :

OK, you mentioned The Ramones, U2, SRV, the Pretenders and this little Bruce thing in your posts. I'd add :

The Del Fuegos - The longest day

Little Bob Story - Too young to love me (My fave album by this French band, produced by Southside Johnny - very unusual for Southside, who appears on a couple of tracks on their live album that very same year : "Wanderers ... followers ... lovers")

Little Steven - Voice of America

Violent Femmes - Hallowed ground

Lords of the New Church - The method to our madness

999 - Identity parade

The Inmates - True live stories (the picture on the cover made me buy this one, and I didn't regret the money spent...)

120410021151763289699878.jpg

Los Lobos - And a time to dance

Peter Wolf - Lights out

The Honeydrippers - Volume 1

Bob Dylan - Real live

Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs, etc ...

Johnny Thunders - Hurt me

Stevie Wonder - Original musiquariums (both volumes)

Van Morrison - A sense of wonder

No hair metal, Wham or Smiths shit ..... LOL

But yeah, the 80s sucked big time.

It is painfully apparent you don't like 80's music in general ludomichel but calling The Smiths shit is not cool. They are one of the foremost bands in the Alternative cannon and have influenced a whole generation of hipsters and wannabe rock stars. "The Queen Is Dead" (1986) recently topped the New Music Express list at #1 in their list ranking the "500 Greatest Albums Of All-Time", granted this is only a subjective opinion from the magazine and it's editors but it is fascinating to see The Smiths beat out giants like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2 and The Clash. Seriously, try out the compilation album "Louder Than Bombs" from The Smiths and you may change your mind.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/73363

In regards to my earlier conversation with Newman and now you ludomichel, I think the other thing to keep in mind regarding "hair metal" is location. I grew up in Vancouver, BC which is right on the Pacific Coast and considerably close to Los Angeles, CA which really was the birthplace of the modern glam/hair metal movement. This genre of music was generally much more popular in North America than it was in England, France and Europe for that matter. Therefore, location plays a major factor into each of our tastes in music. Age is another important component too.

Finally, I am enjoying these year by year lists and hope to continue to write them but I sense that from 1984 on you (ludomichel) might not care as much as our lists covering the 60's and 70's. Am I right?

Cheers guys and have a good day.

It is painfully apparent you don't like 80's music in general ludomichel but calling The Smiths shit is not cool. They are one of the foremost bands in the Alternative cannon and have influenced a whole generation of hipsters and wannabe rock stars. "The Queen Is Dead" (1986) recently topped the New Music Express list at #1 in their list ranking the "500 Greatest Albums Of All-Time", granted this is only a subjective opinion from the magazine and it's editors but it is fascinating to see The Smiths beat out giants like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2 and The Clash. Seriously, try out the compilation album "Louder Than Bombs" from The Smiths and you may change your mind.

100% agree. Alongside REM, the most in important band in my life.

100% agree. Alongside REM, the most in important band in my life.

All my apologies to both of you. No offence meant, I swear. All of this mustn't be taken too seriously, really. May I remind you that my sentence ended with "LOL", and came after you both made your mind clear about what you liked or didn't like in each other's lists. I only picked the "hair metal" line out of fun. As I said earlier about Pink Floyd, there's no band or kind of music I really hate, only music I'm not interested in or can't get into. It's only my own poor opinion,and I guess my opinion is regularly shitty as well. Hearing some people calling Bruce "shit" may make me laugh. It depends who says it, and the tone he uses. I sure understand some may not like him.

The thread is definitely cool. Even reading lists from what I consider "poor" years, or from people I don't agree with is interesting to me. As you explained, Greetings, the place where you grew up, your age, maybe your social background reflect in your record collection. Let's keep it going, and if you feel like calling some of my favourite stuff "crap", it's fine with me. I promise I'll only make positive comments in the future.

Thanks Ludomichel and I appreciate your kind words. Honestly, you have never listed albums that I would call "crap". Your additions to my 1984 list were great, I personally just don't own any of those albums. Considering there are hundreds of records released a year, it would be virtually impossible to hear them all (let alone collect them all!). What I plan to do now is go through your suggestions and give some of them a try. Thank you.

Thanks Ludomichel and I appreciate your kind words. Honestly, you have never listed albums that I would call "crap". Your additions to my 1984 list were great, I personally just don't own any of those albums. Considering there are hundreds of records released a year, it would be virtually impossible to hear them all (let alone collect them all!). What I plan to do now is go through your suggestions and give some of them a try. Thank you.

Now you say it, I have mentioned albums that I personally called crap, remember ?

Now you say it, I have mentioned albums that I personally called crap, remember ?

I guess I must of missed the "crap album slinging" :lol: or just forgotten about it entirely. Anyway, who wants to remember "crap albums" when there are so many good ones out there.

Ok, onto the next topic at hand.....1985.....personally a bit of a "weak" year for me in the 1980's, especially after coming off of 1984 which ranks among my best all-time years for music. So no more wasting time......1985:

The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

The Cure - The Head On The Door

The Cult - Love

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, And The Lash

New Order - Low Life

Husker Du - New Day Rising

R.E.M. - Fables Of The Reconstruction (pretty weak album for the band, especially after releasing Murmur and Reckoning)

The Replacements - Tim

U2 - Wide Awake In America (E.P.)

a-ha - Hunting High And Low

Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club

Talking Heads - Little Creatures (mediocre record and the beginning of the end for The Talking Heads)

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow (his best album)

Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (with The Police broken up, this was the first album of many for Sting who has descended slowly into Adult Contemporary Hell!)

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Prince & The Revolution - Around The World In A Day (except for the stellar song "Raspberry Beret", this album is a HUGE disappointment following the incredible "Purple Rain" )

Phil Collins - No Jacket Required

Rush - Power Windows

Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time

Bryan Ferry - Boys And Girls

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley

INXS - Listen Like Thieves

AC/DC - Fly On The Wall

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Southern Accents

The Eurythmics - Be Yourself Tonight

Sade - Promise

Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark - Crush

Heart - Heart

Motley Crue - Theatre Of Pain

Pete Townshend - White City: A Novel

ZZ Top - Afterburner

Anthrax - Spreading The Disease

The Cars - Greatest Hits

The Doors - The Best Of The Doors

Ratt - Invasion Of Your Privacy

Bon Jovi - 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit

Dokken - Under Lock And Key

Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn And Sing

KISS - Asylum

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Soul To Soul

Scorpions - World Wide Live

W.A.S.P. - The Last Command

Steely Dan - A Decade Of Steely Dan

Mick Jagger - She's The Boss

Stevie Nicks - Rock A Little

The Outfield - Play Deep

The Alarm - Strength

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Marching Out

Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors

Each to his own etc., but I think Fables.... is one of R.E.M.'s best albums. More about the whole atmosphere of the album than individual songs.
And Tom Waits-Raindogs is one of the best albums of 1985, but you said before you do not like Tom Waits, OK.
Some nice things in your list including Pogues and Mellencamp. I think there were some nice guitar albums in 1985 also (Paisley Underground) but I do not know for sure which from 1985 (is Gas Food Lodging from Green On Red from 1985?). Long Ryders-State Of Our Union is from 1985. Great album!

Interesting comments re Fables there guys.

For many years, I too rarely bothered with it however I would say in the last 12 months either Fables or New Adventures are the two REM albums I have played the most, and in those 12 months I have played a tonne of REM records.

Also from 1985:
Triffids-Field Of Glass EP (and in 1984 Raining Pleasure-both good, but not their greatest albums).
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Firstborn Is Dead. A really great album.

My complete 1985 collection. Includes bits of what you've mentioned, but not only.

Tom Waits : Rain dogs (which I sometimes consider the best album of the entire 80s, by any artist, including Bruce.)

John Fogerty : Centerfield. (great comeback album)

Aerosmith : Done with mirrors (solid but not so great comeback album)

U.S.A. for Africa : We are the world. (bought this for "Trapped")

John Cougar Mellencamp : Scarecrow. (great)

Tom Petty : Southern accents. (I like it)

Artists United Against Apartheid : Sun City.

Suzanne Vega : Suzanne Vega.

Tom Petty : Pack up the plantation.

Lone Justice : Lone Justice. (fantastic debut album)

Dion and the Belmonts : So why didn't you do that the first time. (bought in New York City in 1988)

Sam Cooke : Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963.

Prince : Around the world in a day.

The Georgia Satellites : Keep the faith. (One of my very favourite bands, like my well-hidden secret...) (that may have been an EP)

The Pogues : Rum, sodomy and the lash. (brilliant)

Jason and the Scorchers : Lost and found. (louuuuuuud)

The Small Faces : Collection. (French (?) double album compilation)

Stevie Ray Vaughan : Soul to soul.

The Replacements : Tim. (Paul Westerberg, a stunning songwriter)

Molly Hatchet : Double trouble live.

Bob Dylan : Empire burlesque. (embarrassing ?)

Alain Bashung : Live tour 85. (French legend)

Interesting comments re Fables there guys.

For many years, I too rarely bothered with it however I would say in the last 12 months either Fables or New Adventures are the two REM albums I have played the most, and in those 12 months I have played a tonne of REM records.

You answered your own question Newman. The reason why you have played "Fables" and "Hi-Fi" the most in a 12 month period is because for years you rarely bothered with it.