Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RocknRollSue

I'm Gonna Bring On The Band....

Not talkin' about the mighty E Street Band on this occasion, but THE BAND. Probably not that surprising coming from me, but It is a Bruce related post though, so come with me a while..

I've finally got around to reading Clinton Heylin's - E Street Shuffle. The Glory Days of BS & The E ST Band . I stalled over reading it for such a time, as I was put off by the reported mistakes in detail at the time of its release.
Anyway, lack of anything new to read made me finally start turning the pages the other day, and although I don't really care for CH's writing style, I will have to say that there's some very interesting information in it, that I didn't know of before.

Obviously, this post is about one of them there snippets...

Like many here at The Lake, I'm not only a Bruce fan, but a music fan who has many loves. One of my other loves is The Band.
Now, I've always thought that Bruce must have at some time dug The Band and maybe taken in something from them, as I, personally, have always heard it when I listen to Greetings & WIESS.

I knew that on September 1st, 1971, The Bruce Springsteen (Blues) Band played The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down at Garfield Park in Long Branch. I doubt anyone would play a cover song unless they, at least, quite liked it, so that event has always been the foundation of my thinking that Bruce was 'under the influence', so to speak..

Fast forward to August, 1987, and although he was doing a lot of club appearances that summer, my next piece of evidence is when he paid a visit to Levon, who was playing with his Woodstock All Stars band at The Stone Pony.
I can't remember where I read or heard it from, but I believe they'd met several times before this, and considered each other friends.
Anyway, Bruce joined in for the last two songs of the evening, which were Up On Cripple Creek and Lucille.

Fast forward almost another twenty years, and Rag Mama Rag proved a great choice for the Seeger Sessions tour, being played thirteen times.

Six years later on May 2nd 2012, at the Prudential Center, Newark, Bruce paid tribute to Levon, who ten years after his original diagnosis, died of throat cancer.
( I'm not saying it didn't happen, I think it did, I've just never heard it from anyone involved with Levon or the wider The Band circle, so we'll just say it's alleged that Bruce offered Levon a rather large cheque to cover costs when he was struggling to find money for medical bills etc a few years into his illness. Levon declined and raised cash with the Midnight Rambles at his barn )

So, there's my evidence, so to speak and now finally to the point :lol:

I'll be honest, before reading Clinton Heylin's book ( remember...we were talking 'bout that? Loooong time ago! ) I had never read the Rolling Stone's review of Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J
It interested me a great deal that Lester Bangs didn't just hint of any influence of The Band, he just came right out and said it! - "He's Been influenced a lot by The Band

Of course, that's just the opinion of one man, although critics seemed much more 'tuned in' back then than many today.

Made me happy to read that, but happier still a few pages further in when an article quoted Bruce saying -
" I liked the way Robbie Robertson was writing at the time with The Band. Sort of colloquial. It sounded like people telling stories. As if you were sitting on the couch"

So that's it. I could have dug all that out years ago If I'd ever bothered to read that review before, but least I finally know, rather than just thinking it, that Bruce was indeed influenced by The Band.

Thanks for reading, if you did. I realise it's not a post that demands discussion ( although very welcome ) just felt I needed to share with the class :)

Hearing Bruce sing The Weight at Prudential was one of the most beautiful and memorable moments ever.

I love posts like this. Great read Sue, great read. I've read before that Bruce offered Levon money to help him with his medical bills, I might have even read that from you. Regardless, wonderful offer but am not surprised it was turned down.

The Weight is in my top 5 songs of all time and when Bruce sang it, I was in awe.

Great "Band"!!!

I love posts like this. Great read Sue, great read. I've read before that Bruce offered Levon money to help him with his medical bills, I might have even read that from you. Regardless, wonderful offer but am not surprised it was turned down.

I have tried to bring it into a discussion before with people that would know for sure, but the people around Levon are very protective and don't give a lot. As for peeps connected to other band members that might know, man, you have to walk on eggshells.

It's sad that there's a lot of bad feelings between so many connected with those that have passed and still present. The fueding seems to have spread a lot further afield than just between Levon & Robbie, and for a whole host of issues.

I watched an interview with Robbie Robertson fairly recently on the CBC, when he released his latest album, and if memory serves, I think he mentioned visiting Levon either at his home or in the hospital before he died. All the hard feelings are so sad indeed, but did they not make peace before the end?

Posts like this are why I joined message boards in the first place. A really great read.

I watched an interview with Robbie Robertson fairly recently on the CBC, when he released his latest album, and if memory serves, I think he mentioned visiting Levon either at his home or in the hospital before he died. All the hard feelings are so sad indeed, but did they not make peace before the end?

He went to the hospital ( and made every possible media outlet aware of it!) but it was pretty much right at the end. I can't imagine that Levon was in any way 'with it' or even awake.

I'm not a huge fan of RR's public persona, so I think he went to be seen 'doing the right thing'. As for Levon, he was carrying some serious hate for that dude, so if he was awake ( and didn't freak out ) I do hope they found some peace between them.

Does make me wonder though - RR says in this he had no idea that Levon was that ill. How come I knew and every other fan or friend that loved Levon new?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robbie-robertson-levon-helm-is-like-an-older-brother-to-me-20120418

This was Levon's final goodbye in public. He knew it was near, we knew it was near, so Hmmm....why not RR? :unsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XVQKh1fec

Posts like this are why I joined message boards in the first place. A really great read.

aww, thanks hon :)

And thanks for the posts of Bruce and Levon performing. I'd not seen them. Lucile in particular as brilliant.

Right?

Sue, that's really shitty if true about RR. I don't know a whole lot about the guy so not sure why I am surprised to read that he made every media outlet aware of his visit - he's always struck me as not needing or wanting that shit. And to make that a public statement, that's he's visiting his dying former friend/band member, I dunno, doesn't sound right. I heard him say it in the interview but at least he was asked about it after the fact. I should dig that up.

Right?

Sue, that's really shitty if true about RR. I don't know a whole lot about the guy so not sure why I am surprised to read that he made every media outlet aware of his visit - he's always struck me as not needing or wanting that shit. And to make that a public statement, that's he's visiting his dying former friend/band member, I dunno, doesn't sound right. I heard him say it in the interview but at least he was asked about it after the fact. I should dig that up.

I've always wanted to like him. I've actually really tried hard, but every time he does an interview on TV or in print, his massive ego

rears its ugly head and he pees me off all over again.

There's only one reason that he released that press statement about the hospital visit - publicity, right? There was just no other reason I see to do it.

Sure, sometime down the road, I could understand him revealing " Well, I crept into Levon's hospital room for a quick visit before he died and I'm so pleased that I got to do that..."

But a press statement! Hours after he went! Meh.. no need.

Nice thread.

Robbie Robertson's 'Robbie Robertson' album is a stunner. Daniel Lanois makes all the difference.

And we get to see Maria McKee in the video to 'Somewhere Down The Crazy River'. :wub:

I caught Daniel Lanois last summer at the annual folk fest in my area. Nice set but I prefer him as a producer over a performer.

His own album For The Beauty of Wynona is a fantastic record. .

I caught Daniel Lanois last summer at the annual folk fest in my area. Nice set but I prefer him as a producer over a performer.

His own album For The Beauty of Wynona is a fantastic record. .

Agree 100%

Nice thread.

Robbie Robertson's 'Robbie Robertson' album is a stunner. Daniel Lanois makes all the difference.

And we get to see Maria McKee in the video to 'Somewhere Down The Crazy River'. :wub:

Thanks hon.

I've never been into RR's own stuff. I used to listen to it a bit ( his self-titled ) at the time, but never left a mark on me. Same as everything since.

The Band are one of the acts I seriously regret not seeing, and i had a couple of chances. Three incredible voices with Richard, Levon and Rick, never likely we will see or hear anything like them again .

Although I still think Robbie is a great guitarist and songwriter, didn't rate that first solo album at all.

I've always wanted to like him. I've actually really tried hard, but every time he does an interview on TV or in print, his massive ego

There's only one reason that he released that press statement about the hospital visit - publicity, right? There was just no other reason I see to do it.

Sure, sometime down the road, I could understand him revealing " Well, I crept into Levon's hospital room for a quick visit before he died and I'm so pleased that I got to do that..."

I was looking for the interview I'd watched on the CBC with RR discussing his visit with Levon, didn't find it but found another one that is interesting in the sense that it also shows a clip of Levon discussing, in 93 I believe, he and Robertson somewhat reconciling their friendship. However, Robertson also has some semi-harsh words about his deceased bandmate that makes for an awkward segment to say the least. I agree with him that "some things can't be washed away" but he doesn't exactly come across in a glowing light here. In case you're interested (if it's gonna make yer blood boil refrain - and I wouldn't blame you knowing the way you feel about Levon) it starts around the 6:00 minute mark:

And yeah, as you mention above, he had no idea how sick Levon was.

The Band are one of the acts I seriously regret not seeing, and i had a couple of chances. Three incredible voices with Richard, Levon and Rick, never likely we will see or hear anything like them again .

Amen brother!

I was looking for the interview I'd watched on the CBC with RR discussing his visit with Levon, didn't find it but found another one that is interesting in the sense that it also shows a clip of Levon discussing, in 93 I believe, he and Robertson somewhat reconciling their friendship. However, Robertson also has some semi-harsh words about his deceased bandmate that makes for an awkward segment to say the least. I agree with him that "some things can't be washed away" but he doesn't exactly come across in a glowing light here. In case you're interested (if it's gonna make yer blood boil refrain - and I wouldn't blame you knowing the way you feel about Levon) it starts around the 6:00 minute mark:

And yeah, as you mention above, he had no idea how sick Levon was.

Wasn't as bad to watch as I thought it might be, but, yup, he gets me every time!

I think Levon was referring to the breakup of the Band in that, but things definitely came to the boil again soon after with the songwriting credit rifts.

Best part of that was seeing the ever smilie Hawk!

Oh....nice hair, Robbie ;)

You're probably right, Levon was likely talking about the breakup considering he talked about Robertson's solo success and his own. At any rate, I don't wish to necessarily pick one side of the fence over the other seeing as there's going to be way more to the story then I will ever know and I'm sure neither party is completely innocent in the feud but RR in the clip above strikes an uncomfortable chord with me in the sense that he's having the last word against a dead man. At the same time I think people should be able to say what their "truth" is and how they feel but to say that Levon let his bitterness "eat his personality up" or some such thing when he's not here to speak against it seems like a pretty low blow. Although, whether he'd even want to speak against it is a different matter I suppose.

Well, Levon certainly liked Bruce and his people. One time, I asked him to sign the cover of the "Ringo's All-Stars" CD. As he signed it, he noticed Clarence's picture and said, "Boy, did we have a GOOD TIME with him on that tour!" Another time, saw Max Weinberg play with Levon and his band at the Lone Star. And of course there was The Band's version of Atlantic City. I think you can definitely assume Bruce liked that version, since the E St Band seemed to play that arrangement much like The Band's version ever since "Jericho" was released!

The Band are probably #2 on my list...right after Bruce.

Top of list of a band I wish I saw live.

Thanks to my buddy Mark for pointing me towards this absolutely amazing mix of musicians. I could listen to them for hours...and I have.