Sign in to follow this  
Joadboy

Andy Murray

just watched this on the news

its very sad

• Like 1

It is the news we have been secretly fearing for some time now, really really sad as I am sure there was at least one more slam in him, and his genuine love of the game is obvious, hope you can reach Wimbledon as least Andy, if not your legacy to British sport is huge, thanks for the great memories.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

It is the news we have been secretly fearing for some time now, really really sad as I am sure there was at least one more slam in him, and his genuine love of the game is obvious, hope you can reach Wimbledon as least Andy, if not your legacy to British sport is huge, thanks for the great memories.

Hope he can make it to Wimbledon.

• Like 2

I think Andy's been unfortunate on a number of levels.

It's my belief his talent took him higher, earlier, than his body was ready for.

Djokovic and Nadal matured physically much earlier......and even they have been hampered by injuries in their career.

But primarily he has been unfortunate that he came to prominence at the same time as three of the greatest players in history.

His achievements in these circumstances have been phenomenal.

• Like 5

Such sad, but not unexpected news. For me, he is and will probably always be, the best sports person these isles have produced. Not only because of the brilliant tennis, but because of his sensitivity, his honesty and his conduct.

I would love to see him manage Wimbledon, but if he can't, then so be it. I can only wish him and his family well.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Such a shame to end like this. I hope he listens to his body and if it's not up to it, doesn't try and play on. He needs it for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

Sad to have to stop playing at his level but loads of opportunities there for him to continue within the sport.

I've enjoyed watching him and am happy that his injuries won't impede the happy family life (hopefully) that will be his here on in.

Does anyone know exactly what surgery he had done on his hip? I don't think it's ever been made public, but I might be wrong.

Do not know the whole story, but I am sure that I heard that bone shaving was involved at one point, may be wrong with that mind you.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, jmw said:

Hope he can make it to Wimbledon.

If he can't make the singles, even the mixed doubles would allow him to bow out on home soil.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

Totally identify with all that is written there, I have cheered and cried, in equal measures, throughout his career, remember staying up to watch his first Grand Slam win at US Open, memories of being allowed to stay up to watch Ali fights, and going to work next day with only a couple of hours sleep but it did not matter as I was floating on the same air that Andy was that day, he is an inspiration to all of us...and Scottish to the core.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Totally identify with all that is written there, I have cheered and cried, in equal measures, throughout his career, remember staying up to watch his first Grand Slam win at US Open, memories of being allowed to stay up to watch Ali fights, and going to work next day with only a couple of hours sleep but it did not matter as I was floating on the same air that Andy was that day, he is an inspiration to all of us...and Scottish to the core.

Same. Here's another great tribute to Andy.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17354245.peter-ross-an-open-love-letter-to-andy-murray/

love this bit

People felt that they saw in your suffering something of their own, and in your victories a wee bit of hope. “Unlike Federer, who just seemed to have it so easy,” one woman wrote, "Andy was the guy for the people (most of us) who have things a bit shit; who sometimes win, but very often lose.”

Looks like he's coming up short in the fifth set but what stones to fight back to 2-2.

• Like 2

I challenge anyone to listen to the post match tributes and stuff from Australia and not cry.

• Like 1

Oh boy that was just so emotional. Mr J came in just after the tributes and asked me what had happened - I couldn't speak. If that is it, then what a way to go.

• Like 1

Leaving aside his undoubted prowess on the court, can we please also mention that he once (can’t remember which World Cup) specifically wished for England to get beaten in a vital game (unforgivable), and that he is a thoroughly miserable character.

I and many others I know have never warmed to him. I am pleased he has packed in.

He won’t be missed.

18 minutes ago, Royston Vasey said:

Leaving aside his undoubted prowess on the court, can we please also mention that he once (can’t remember which World Cup) specifically wished for England to get beaten in a vital game (unforgivable), and that he is a thoroughly miserable character.

I and many others I know have never warmed to him. I am pleased he has packed in.

He won’t be missed.

:lol:

15 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

He won’t be missed.

:lol:

I really did fear this news about the worlds greatest runner up putting his tennis racket down

This is bad news indeed

It's just a matter of time before we get to here his drab voice on the the telly as an "expert" talking about how hard it was for his mam and dad to find that 40 grand and no doubt the millionaire will  be on A Question Of Sport,  or some guest on some pants show or celebratory whatever, just as soon as his bad whatever get better.

He voted "out" in the vote for Scottish Independence, fair play to him he was used to being second.

"it's important that everyone comes together to make the best of it." is what he said about Brexit btw ? 

I hope he does retire and does some pay back coaching to less privileged kids, but i doubt he will. 

Now that he's  quit, Scottish people will be able to take the piss out of posh kids who play tennis again. 

Best of luck today Andy, hope it is a small step along the way to a full return for the greatest sportsperson ever produced by Britain.

Great stuff this evening - he played so well after a slightly nervous start and he looked so happy!

Both my heroes return to form in the same week - happy days!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Yes just great to see Andy back on court, and well done to BBC for extending their coverage to ensue that we all got to see such an important British sporting event live. Yes Ann I think he was nervous and a bit rusty that first set and missed qite a few easy forehands into the net, he seemed to settle down in the second set and showed that he was the class act in a very good four (the opponents were top seeds after all), his speed of thought and quick hands still with that great touch were a joy to see and backed up very ably by Lopez they were well worth their win.

Still a long long way to go, and it will be interesting to see how he feels this morning, fitness wise this was far from the level he was playing at before but a great start and like you said Ann he looked so happy being back and I am sure he will now be far more relaxed after this first important step.

Thank you Andy.

• Like 1